New D&D Revealed Articles
The following articles all deal with the new D&D game; several of the below writers were present at a "D&D Summit" where they playtested an early development version of the game under an NDA:
- Charting the Course for D&D: Your Voice, Your Game (WotC's official announcement)
- Off to see the Wizards: The day that WotC showed me D&D 5th Edition (EN World)
- WotC Seeks Unity with a New Edition (EN World)
- New Edition of Dungeons & Dragons Announced (Critical Hits)
- D&D Next! (Sarah Darkmagic)
- From OD&D to Playtesting New Editions (Alphastream1)
- Tell Me Everything About D&D Next (Greg Marks)
- Dungeons & Dragons... Next (Robert Schwalb, one of the designers)
- 'Wizards' Announce New Dungeons & Dragons: An Inside Look At The Game (Forbes)
- Wizards of the Coasts announces new edition of Dungeons and Dragons (CNN)
- Speak Your Mind in the Next Version of Dungeons & Dragons (The Escapist)
- 5th Edition D&D Is in Development Should We Care? (Wired.com)
- Players Roll the Dice for Dungeons & Dragons Remake (New York Times)
Articles on DDXP
The following articles cover the DDXP playtests and seminars:
- weem has used modern art software to recreate the Caves of Chaos adventure map. The Caves of Chaos is part of the classic adventure Keep on the Borderlands used by WotC for the D&D Next playtests at DDXP.
- Initial Impressions of the New D&D is an article at Critical Hits which - well, it does what it says on the box. Based on the playtests.
- Running the New D&D and Playing Games is a companion article to the above piece; it also covers some of the non-D&D content at DDXP, such as Magic: The Gathering and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying.
- DDXP 2012 Recap (This Is My Game) has some general impressions of the playtest, plus some non-D&D Next content.
- My first look at D&D Next (D&D The Fifth Column) - "First, the prototype of D&D Next absolutely captures the feel of classic D&D. Since I started with the Moldvay Basic Set in 1980, to me the game felt very much like Basic D&Dbut there were elements which I knew would resonate with someone for whom 1e was the baseline. Talking with one of my traveling companions, who had played mostly 3.x, I found that he had gravitated to parts of the new system that evoked the feel of 3rd edition."
- DDXP 2012 Report: The First Glimpses at the New Edition of Dungeons & Dragons (Geek's Dream Girl) covers the first of the seminars.
- New info on classes in D&D Next (Trollish Delver) covers the second of the seminars.
Mainstream Articles on 5E Announcement
These articles are reactions to the news - some in places you wouldn't expect to see it, which gives us the impression that WotC has really reached out to the mainstream audience:
- DIY D&D: Dungeons & Dragons Crowdsources the Classic Game (Time)
- Dungeons & Dragons Reboot Will Be Shaped By Fans (WebProfNews)
- Dungeons & Dragons Plans a Comeback (Yahoo!)
- Dungeons & Dragons Remake Looks To Fans For Input (Huffington Post)
- Edition Wars: Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition in the works (Geek.com)
- Dungeons and Dragons to get a brand new 5th Edition (Atomic)
- Next Edition Of Dungeons & Dragons Will Be Written By The Players (Kotaku)
- New Dungeons & Dragons Edition Pending (HispanicBusiness.com)
- New Edition Of Dungeons & Dragons Coming!! (Perez Hilton)
- The Way Forward (Penny Arcade Comic)
- Strange Accusations (d20 Monkey Comic)
- 5th Edition of Dungeons & Dragons Announced (Slashdot)
- Why is the 5th Edition of Dungeons & Dragons a big deal? (io9)
- Wizards Watch: The Quest for Grand Unified D&D? (Neuroglyph Games)
The following are podcasts reacting to the announcement:
- Dice Monkey Radio Bonus Episode 1: DnD Next Speculation
- DnD Next 1st Reaction RAW (includes some playtest thoughts)
- Going Last Session 51, Doubleclicks interview, and Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition
- RPG Circus Season 4 Episode 1 And then there was 5ed?
- Critical Hit #130: Kobold Alley
- Gamerstable, New Edition Ep 40
- Grumpy RPG Columns: Looking at the Announcement for 5E D&D
- Happy Jacks RPG Podcast Season 07 Episode 01 - (explicit)
- Dragonlance Canticle episode 49: Psionics? 5e?
- 3.5 Private Sanctuary 187 - 5e/Next
Last updated by