Tips for DMing a solo game

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
I'm about to start running a solo game, and I'd love to hear what advice you have! Things to do, things to avoid, potential pitfalls and some solutions for them, etc.
-blarg

Brazeku

First Post
Character-based stuff tends to work better than battle-based stuff for solo.

But some general advice:

-Don't be afraid to use fiat if dumb luck would kill the person. If they die from stupidity... well it depends. I usually don't kill in a solo campaign just because it tends to be unfun for the players I've had experience with, but depending on the player's goals this may differ.

-Speaking of the player's goals, be sure to know them. Fulfill whatever reason the person has for playing - with only one player there is no excuse not to.

-Provide an NPC party member who is in a completely different niche than the player and who isn't better at the primary focus of the campaign. So, if it is combat heavy, don't provide a combat monster NPC. If it is political, don't provide a charismatic. The NPC should be used to handle the areas in which the PC is weak.

-MAKE SURE the areas in which the player is weak happen infrequently - preferably only as frequently as you need to in order to maintain an acceptable level of verisimilitude.

-Provide some method of healing even if the PC can heal.

In a single player game, I would recommend completely ignoring the CR system and eyeballing what you think is appropriate and fun for the character.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Run your campaign like a TV serial.

* Keep your NPC's/secondary characters simple, building on 1 or 2 stereotypes or "tropes" as they're called in the TV industry.

* If you insist on running an adventure path, say, make sure that each "episode" ends in a proper spot. If you're just playing for sake of playing, try to keep the plots self-contained. By this, I mean each adventure should have one primary mission, one or two difficulties, one climax to the adventure, and one wrap-up scene.

* Not every adventure has to include killing things and taking their stuff. Depending on you and your player's preferred styles of play, it's very possible to spend an entire gaming session without rolling too many dice or causing too much bloodshed. One campaign I ran was very much like a sitcom where the "hero" was trying to bed all sorts of women and convince every wandering NPC to join his troupe (he was a newly minted King of a ruined kingdom - the land itself was fragmented and its population scattered). The cast of characters was memorable and they all fleshed themselves out as the hero developed his own persona.

* Don't limit your imagination, but be VERY CLEAR on what kind of game your solo player wants. It's much, much easier on you to design a world around him than have him fit into your Grand Design. I know that sounds backwards, but it's true. Also, since there's only one player, be prepared to play NPC's as if they were PC's in the way of advice, information, and combat.

* Don't be afraid to steal material from anywhere: books, tv, manga/anime, movies, newspapers, reality, other game systems... this is your chance to really explore your creativity, and no one expects you to crap out the Simarillion just to play some D&D.

I hope this helps. I've been playing and DM'ing solo campaigns (including playing through the entire Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil uber-module) for nearly a decade, and I use any and all of what I've said above to great effect.

Rechan

Adventurer
A DMPC side-kick, that does the general 'healing/buffing/information mouthpiece', OR the 'Meathsield/bodyguard' can't hurt.

Make sure the story is good, because you are engaging the one person. Make it about them, make sure they are sitting right in the story.

Don't be afraid to run some non-standard campaigns. A spy campaign, a burglar/thief campaign, an Indiana-Jones style situation, etc. Even Survival Horror works just fine when it's one PC against the world.

Will you be using D&D? Because there are other systems that might let you use a single character effectively.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Yep - 3.5 Eberron, starting at 10th level. I've got a good idea of what she wants to do, but I'll start another thread for help on that particular part.
-blarg

Another thing is to give XP for RP and make problem solving/NPC interaction a prime focus.
Unlike party driven adventures, solo games get intimate very fast and it is easy to get into the me vs. her/her vs. me attitude. Storytelling needs to be sharp and don't be afraid to halt the game if things get too personal or if they get too far off track.

On the flip side, this will probably be one of the best growing experiences as a DM you'll ever experience.

Maikl

First Post
Many of the advices above suit well for a normal game too...

As far as I am concerned running a solo campaign is easier to DM, and can be same fun. The simplest and most important 'rule' would be: concentrate on the player.
Keep in mind what the player likes, wants etc. and give it to him/her. (of course, there must be some obstacles on the PCs way)
Moreover, whan playing a solo game make sure you like the person you play with. If you don't, you won't enjoy the game. It matters even more for solo game than in a normal one...

Remove ads