Composition of RPG Groups (In person)

Agreed. I will say that both of my groups are more diverse than not. Age swings wildly, though there’s less variation in the home group than the open table.

I don't mind talking about my own race, gender, sexual orientation, religious identity, but, for some reason, I am uncomfortable making statements about those things for other people who have played at my table.

Wulffolk

Explorer
I have seen very little diversity from hetero-sexual Caucasian males in my real world table-top games, just the occasional female, and all of those have been involved because they were in a relationship with one of the male participants. My experiences have very much matched the stereotype.

When it comes to LARPs I have seen much greater diversity. There is typically a 2 to 1 male to female ratio, sometimes even closing in on a 1 to 1 ratio. There tends to be a much more liberal portion of the group that identify as non-hetero, and there is usually some racial and cultural diversity.

Online gaming is a whole different world, but then you usually have to just take somebody's word for what they are.

Those that live near colleges or universities probably see greater diversity than those from more suburban or rural areas. I think it boils down to geography more than anything else.

Remove ads