• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E (IC) Scourge of Daggerford

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Titus would need to find a place for his horse, Blaze. In the very least, there was an injured hyena-worg out there somewhere, as well as a few injured gnoll archers. How many other gnolls were nearby was anyone's guess.

Helgrim pushed by Lunn and knocked the remaining part of the walkway down. It crashed onto the courtyard below. He than began to remove the hinges from one of the doors to Thegger's room. It would be large enough to block the hole that was left behind.

Morgan searched the Red Wizard's body, finding a ring of keys, a spellbook (which positively reeked of necromancy - literally: many necromantic spells needed inks that were made from blood or decaying flesh), two potions in a wicker satchel to prevent the glass from breaking, a long thin dagger of fine make, and on his hand a platinum ring with a black pearl.

There was a large chest in the corner of the room, and a wardrobe across from it. Thegger had only a few outfits in the wardrobe. While the red wizard had been a slight-built man, they would fit Morgan well enough. Thegger had seemed happiest in his Red Wizard's robes (he was wearing a set when he died) and he had a backup set, of finer quality, as well as a set of traveller's clothes (for when he went to cities) and an outfit that would make him look like a wealthy merchant.

Grottur explored the room to the south, finding first a trophy hall from the old noble's hunting, that had also been where some gnolls had thrown down sleeping pallets. Beyond that was what would have been the master's chambers. Clearly Noryeghu had been using it as his rooms. The old four post bed was in poor repair, but it was piled with furs.

OOC: Morgan expects Thegger's spellbook to be trapped. The dagger is a +1 dagger. The ring is not magical. Perhaps a family heirloom. Worth about 250gp. The keys likely go to this room, the chest, and a few other places.

Last edited:

Dr. Morgan Wells
Race: Human
HP: 32/32
AC: 12/15(Mage Armour)
Pass Perc: 11
Pass Inv: 17
Pass Ins: 11
Spell Slots:
1st[ ] [ ][ ] [ ]
2nd [X] [ ] [ ]

3rd [ ] [ ] [ ]
Arcane Ward: 16/16Initiative: +2 Spell Save DC: 15
STR: 10+0
DEX: 14 + 2
CON: 12 + 1
INT: 18+4(+7)
WIS: 12 +1(+4)
CHA:12 +1
Arcana:10
History: 7
Investigation:7
Medicine: 4
Persuasion: 4
Religion: 7
Cantrips
Control Flames, Chill touch,
Shape water, Shocking grasp

Memorized spells
1st Grease, Mage Armour, Prot. Evil, Shield
2nd Arcane Lock, Invisibility, Web
3rd Counterspell, Dispel Magic, Slow

From Theggar's lifeless corpse, Morgan takes the black pearl ring, which will come in handy for an Identify spell. He looks at the dagger and sees that it's craftsmanship is surely magical but doesn't bother to remove it. He takes the Red Wizard's spellbook, hoping it will hold some answers. Before moving to the wardrobe, he takes a blanket off the bed and covers Theggar's body. Looking at the traveling clothes hanging in the wardrobe he smells them and, satisfied that they are clean enough, he discards the remnants of his tattered clothes and replaces them with Theggar's.

He carefully checks the lock and the latch of the chest before leaving the room and announcing,

"Theggar has a magical dagger on him and some expensive clothes in the Wardrobe. I'm not 100% sure the chest isn't trapped if someone wants to double check. I have the keys. I also found a pearl and will be happy to identify anything we find."

He sits at the table, placing the two potions next to his book and starts reading through his spells.

Morgan takes the traveling clothes (and feels slightly dirty for taking a dead-man's clothes). He doesn't really want the merchant stuff or the Red Robes. He will leave the Dagger but is making sure people know about it.

This post is mostly to make sure I've told everyone, IC, what I took.

If I can use investigation to look for traps
Checking for traps: 1D20+7 = [17]+7 = 24
Will edit if I found something

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Morgan was sure enough on his own that the chest wasn't trapped, and he had quickly figured out which was the key. Still, it seemed best to let one of the others get involved, so that he couldn't be accused of taking more than his share. He had never been what was commonly known as an "adventurer" and there were, he'd read, a variety of rules on these sorts of things. While he'd known many of the group as a child and youth, it had been many years and whatever dynamic they'd established in this group was, as yet, unfamiliar to him.

While reading through his spells, he took a quick break to have a look at the two potions. One looked familiar to him, and he popped the stopper and had a sniff. Sure enough, the aroma of familiar herbs came to him. This was a healing potion, and more precise, it was highly likely that it had been brewed in Daggerford by Hadeshah, the priestess of Chauntea. There was a not-insignificant chance that Morgan's own mother had procured one or more ingredient.

The other was less familiar, but he had a guess as to what it might do. As one tipped the vial back-and-forth, the liquid inside appeared to shrink down toward the bottom, in a V-like formation. This was a potion of Diminution. He'd never seen one, but he'd read of them - shrinking the drinker down to one-quarter their size. He couldn't imagine what Thegger may have had planned for it.

OOC: It's Greater Healing and Double Diminution (Reduce only brings one down to half-size. But I'm not sure what the point of that would be, unless you force a big monster to drink it. So TWO sizes it is! Tiny. Lionel would be less than a foot tall!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
By the time the lodge was secure to everyone's satisfaction, Vairar was beginning to stir.

OOC: An hour can pass easily enough. We can assume that Titus got Blaze without running into injured Gnolls out there. There's a stable downstairs, but then, someone will have to watch the stable doors for trouble. There's quite a lot of exits. Might not be ideal for a long rest. But go ahead and take a short rest.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
OOC: We don't need a short rest! Oh-Six has the ability to cast Cure wounds. There may be other reasons to wait, but if it's just for Vairar, we can have him up in six seconds.

Dr. Morgan Wells
Spell Slots:
1st[ ] [ ][ ] [ ]
2nd [X] [ ] [ ]

3rd [ ] [ ] [ ]
Cantrips

Memorized spells

Morgan carefully inspects the chest one more time, and decides that, by using the key, it should disengage any traps.

Inserting the key, he tries turning it the opposite way (just in case), then turns it clockwise.

Will inspect the contents of the chest

FitzTheRuke

Legend
After studying his spellbook, as Vairar was waking up and the others had finished securing the various exits and entrances to the lodge, Morgan took a chance and opened the Red Wizard's chest. Inside, he found a shaving kit, a wig, and a folded greatcoat. Under the coat, he found a journal, written in cypher, and a sack of coins and gems that he guessed worth just under a thousand gold (at a quick glance).

OOC: EDIT So I can find this post again if I'm looking for it - This turns out to be (when counted/appraised): 945gp worth of treasure.

Last edited:

Dr. Morgan Wells
Spell Slots:
1st[ ] [ ][ ] [ ]
2nd [X] [ ] [ ]

3rd [ ] [ ] [ ]
Cantrips

Memorized spells

Morgan uses the magical dagger to move the item around in the chest and, satisfied there must get not be a trap or a scorpion or some other doom, he removes the contents from the chest. No doubt the shaving kit was to maintain the Red Wizard’s shaved head but it seemed a perfect tool to trim Morgan’s beard.

He moved everything to the table outside the bedroom.

Seeing Escella looking a bit bored he offers,

“I found this money in the chest. Do you want to count it while I cast a few rituals? I’m going to detect for magic and also identify this dagger to see if it has any other properties besides its preternatural sharpness.

So what is it that brought you out here? Are you looking for something in particular or just these bandits and their wizard?“

Once he took all the precautions, he’d delve into the book, depending on how long the group wanted to stay.

Morgan will cast detect magic on the stuff in the chest and then identify on the dagger, if I have time. I’ll do these as rituals.

Time permitting, Morgan will peruse the journal and see if he can make heads or tails of it

Besides that, I’m good to go.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The cypher that the Red Wizard had used to write his diary was an interesting puzzle to Morgan - symbols, numbers, letters, and runes seemingly written at random.

OOC: An Intelligence check is required, and it will take some time to figure it out.

Remove ads