• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E NonDetection vs Divination / Contact Other Plane

Stalker0

Legend
So rules question for you all. Nondetection blocks divination spells from targeting you. If someone casts divination or contact other plane type spells trying to get information about you....would the spell protect you?

If the answer is yes, in the case of contact other plane, would this only protect against upcoming predictions, or would it also block historical questions about the past?

5ekyu

Hero
So rules question for you all. Nondetection blocks divination spells from targeting you. If someone casts divination or contact other plane type spells trying to get information about you....would the spell protect you?

If the answer is yes, in the case of contact other plane, would this only protect against upcoming predictions, or would it also block historical questions about the past?
As RAW, Ri think AI snd imo RAF I would *not* rule that NonD covers the various "ask for guidance" type spells. Those tend to be along the line of checking eith the more informed, not any sort of active scan. There nothing to say the basis for those replies isn't info or wisdom gained from eons of knowledge, wisdom and experience.

I **might** as GM ratchet up the vague level if there is a particular reason it would apply to a specific query.

But obviously for any type of specific locate, see, etc - it applies.

I ruled recently that NonDetection could not be used to keep someone with See Invisible (a divination spell) from seeing an invisible creature because they weren't targetted by the spell. It gets much trickier when you get to Mind Blank which makes you IMMUNE to divination spells, not 'can not be targetted by'.

Remove ads