Sean's Picks of the Week (0202-0206) - Numenera, Shaintar, Eldritch, and More!

Another Friday, another roundup of daily Picks from this week! Random lists, uncharted Numenera territory, and an updated eldritich classic make up some of the week's best offerings in PDF!

Another Friday, another roundup of daily Picks from this week! Random lists, uncharted Numenera territory, and an updated eldritich classic make up some of the week's best offerings in PDF!

Called Away

It’s definitely one of those “Why didn’t I think of this?” kinds of things. Ennead Games has a way with random lists that are designed to help GMs deal with all kinds of situations and creative needs, and this one will be a brilliant aid for every player at the table.

You know it happens all the time – someone can’t make it to the game, and no one wants to deal with putting them on auto-pilot or being run by someone else…

…Where did they go? What are they doing when not in play?

This is where “Called Away” can help you to fill in the blanks and give a brief overview of where the character or even an npc has been. The actual details are left up to you, but they can be a good source of future adventures.

The main table has 100 entries suitable for a fantasy or medieval setting with several sub tables helping to flesh out and give further options and ideas.

Shaintar Guidebook: Magic & Cosmology (SW)

Most days of the year, I Pick stuff from publishers all over the map. Some days, I Pick my stuff, especially when it’s brand new, like the latest Shaintar Guidebook: Magic & Cosmology (Volume I: Light and Life) –

Every story has a beginning.

The beginning of the story of Shaintar is an epic all its own…

“As vast and imposing as the Kal-A-Nar Empire is to the people of Shaintar, it is but a speck in the eye of the giant that was the Empire of the Starfather. Seven stars and a least a dozen inhabited planets, united by Starfall Gates and Arcdrive Ships, fell under the eternal, generally benevolent rule of the Starfather and his family. His mate, once called the Radiant Mother (now, the Mother of Night), and his children and grandchildren (the Scions and Offspring, respectively) helped manage and rule this vast civilization. Aided by the techno-magical might of the Builders and other gifted beings, the family of the Starfather seemed destined to not only rule for eternity, but expand the Empire of the Starfather to distant stars and worlds beyond the Veil….”

From this grandiose beginning, the tale of the cosmology of Shaintar flows through these pages, giving the reader a sense of where it all came from, how it all went so horribly wrong, and a roster of all the key players of the past, who remain present in Shaintar’s unfolding journey into the future.

Ninth World Guidebook (Cypher)

Time to explore even more of the expanse that is the world of Numenera –

The Ninth World Guidebook takes your Numenera campaign into uncharted territory, literally expanding the setting beyond the borders of the corebook’s maps. This 256-page tome—more than half again the size of previous Numenera hardcover supplements— explores lands hinted at in previous books, opens new territories, and adds detail to those already discussed.

From the frozen lands beyond the Southern Wall, to the volcanic desert of Vralk and the weird, faroff realm of Corao, The Ninth World Guidebook explores new lands and includes adventure hooks, new creatures, new character options, and the incredible level of detail, imagination, and weirdness that is the hallmark of the Ninth World!

Eldritch Roleplaying (Revised)

My buddy Dan Cross gathered a rather impressive list of folks – John Creffield, Peter Schaefer, Dieter Zimmerman, Richard T. Balsley – to update this classic game originally published by Goodman Games.

A fast-paced, action and story oriented RPG of high fantasy, with no restrictive archetypes: character concept is king! Cast any spell, wield any weapon desired, possess any power imagined. Players can create detailed characters quickly, with rules that are easy to master and yet offer a lot of scope for clever and creative play. Eldritch Role Playing Revised now includes the detailed yet adaptable campaign setting, known by sages as Ainerêve, where heroes fulfill their destinies in a world of dream, might and magic. So sharpen your sword, gather your will, and summon your inner strength to prepare for a new game experience…

~~~
In addition, I also did a huge Kickstarter Roundup this week, featuring -
  • Pinnacle's "Dead Men Walking" projects
  • BlackWyrm's three-system Larger Than Life
  • Fat Dragon's Wilderness Adventure Terrain
  • A crowdfunding charity effort for Chainmail co-creator Jeff Perren
  • ...and much more!

I'll be launching an ICONS: Assembled Edition-driven superhero campaign in my Modern Gods setting this weekend, so wish me luck, and good gaming to you all!

And, as always ... The Adventure Continues!

~SPF

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads