Miniatures: From Concept to Figure

Here's an interesting couple of pictures showing a pair of Gale Force 9's D&D miniatures both in concept art form and as final plastic figures. The result is very similar to the original artwork.

concept1.jpg

concept2.jpg

RSIxidor

Adventurer

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Yep. Quality is very high, much better then the previews for the wizkid line we have been getting...

...with a professional paint job done by someone who is not me.

Unless they've changed, the Gale Force 9's collector line is resin, not plastic. Resin is far superior to capturing detail than plastic, as the molds allow for deeper undercuts. Its MUCH more fragile, so don't think you can dump them in a ziploc bag like your WOTC/WIzzkids prepaints. These are a premium product, and the price will reflect it (they tend to run about $10 per man sized figure, which is in line w other resin manufacturers)

RSIxidor

Adventurer
Unless they've changed, the Gale Force 9's collector line is resin, not plastic. Resin is far superior to capturing detail than plastic, as the molds allow for deeper undercuts. Its MUCH more fragile, so don't think you can dump them in a ziploc bag like your WOTC/WIzzkids prepaints. These are a premium product, and the price will reflect it (they tend to run about $10 per man sized figure, which is in line w other resin manufacturers)

The clear bit in the flying mini surprises me. I was under the impression that clear resin wouldn't work well.

Oh, that part is acrylic. I have the Eye Tyrant, and it comes with a separate clear plastic base and flight post which you can also stick in the sculpted resin scenic base.

Mind you, there can be clear resin. Many water effects are created this way for model trains, dioramas, etc. Dark Age in particular uses clear resin figures for ice/air/fire minis.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases