10 Years Of New Who: Cubicle 7 Looks Back

Ten years ago today, Doctor Who returned to the BBC after a long hiatus. Since 2009, Cubicle 7 has been producing the Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space roleplaying game (which has one of my favourite initiative systems: talkers go first, then doers, then runners, then fighters; or something very similar to that - I may have a couple transposed!) They're written a short post looking back, which you'll find below!

C7 DW RPG.jpg

“Do you want to come with me? But if you do I should warn you: you’re going to see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past, aliens from the future, the day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won’t be quiet, it won’t be safe and it won’t be calm, but I tell you what it will be: a trip of a lifetime!” – The Ninth Doctor

10 years ago today, after a hiatus of nearly a decade away from our TV screens, Doctor Who returned with the episode Rose – and started the trip of a lifetime that we’re still embarked upon today! On today’s blog, we thought we’d take a look at the past ten years of Doctor Who, through the lens of our own games and supplements!

Cubicle 7 started their own trip of a lifetime back in 2009, with the release of the Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space roleplaying game by David F Chapman, garnering both critical acclaim and a swathe of awards and nominations. The roleplaying game encouraged adventures in the style of the show, with talking and invention held more hgihly than guns and violence. This first edition, featuring the Tenth Doctor, was a boxed set, featuring an assortment of books, cards and dice, something Cubicle 7 continued with the second edition, featuring the Eleventh Doctor.

The Eleventh Doctor featured prominently in Cubicle 7’s first card game too, Doctor Who: The Card Game. Designed by Martin Wallace, the card game garnered C7 their first Origins Award and remains our best-selling game.

Cubicle 7 released a second edition of Doctor Who: The Card Game at the end of last year, but this time rather than just featuring the Eleventh Doctor and his adventures, it celebrated the past decade of Doctor Who with the Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh and Twelfth Doctors, and some of their iconic foes, locations and companions too – including Rose and the Powell Estate.

While it might be ten years since Doctor Who returned to our TV screens, it’s been around for far longer than that. Tied into the show’s 50th anniversary in 2012, Cubicle 7 decided to celebrate by releasing a series of sourcebooks, each focusing on a different incarnation of the Doctor, his companions and his adventures. Rather timely, they’ve just released The Ninth Doctor Sourcebook…

The Doctor Sourcebooks wasn’t the only way they celebrated the 50th anniversary either – they released the beautiful Doctor Who Limited Edition Core Rulebook too, focusing on not only the Day of the Doctor special episode, but also on their favourite moments from the whole history of the show too! With the Limited Edition Core Rulebook, they took the roleplaying game in a new direction, releasing it as a single volume hardback book, rather than a boxed set – something we gather they’ll be continuing with for the forthcoming edition of the Doctor Who Roleplaying Game.

But for C7, the trip of a lifetime is still ongoing – and they’ve got some fantastic releases ahead of them. Some of those we’ve already announced, such as their new dice game, Dalek Dice, or The Silurian Age supplement for the roleplaying game. Others they're keeping in UNIT’s vaults for now, such as an expansion for Doctor Who: The Card Game and more besides…

Here’s to another 10 (or 50) years of Doctor Who and great gaming!

DalekDice and 12thDoctor RPG.jpg

bjmorga

First Post
Excellent game. Fans of the show should check it out.

That beautiful limited edition Doctor Who 50th anniversary rulebook mentioned above? It would be amazing if that were added to the review section. It is Cubicle 7's bestselling game and is now officially sold out at the distributor level. It would be a great addition to the review system.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
As soon as I spot it, and have time to check it and approve it. This one's missing the release date, so it won't save, so I'll look that up when I get to a PC!

bjmorga

First Post
Oops! I added it, but the browser reset and I had to re-enter the information. Must have skipped it. I think it was June 18, 2014 in the United States.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases