Sean's Picks of the Week (0504-0508) - Big New Stuff (Dresden, D&D, Cypher)!

This week was full of Big New Releases, and I think a lot of us are looking at squeezing our budgets dry to grab all the great stuff!

Dresden Files RPG: Paranet Papers

Holy cow! At long last, we’ve got a third book for the Dresden Files RPG!

In Jim Butcher’s bestselling Dresden Files books, the forces of good bond together into an organization called the Paranet in a desperate attempt to turn the tides of their equally desperate war against big baddies like the Fomor and the Denarians. Now you can bring the Paranet to your Dresden Files RPG game with the Paranet Papers supplement.

Travel to exotic locations like Las Vegas and South America to fight evil. Team up with characters from Turn Coat and Changes to fight evil. Join up with other Paranetters to… well, you get the picture.

The Dresden Files RPG Volume 3: Paranet Papers includes the following material:

• Updated information through the Dresden Files novel Changes, with hints of Ghost Story
  • Detailed information on four key Dresdenverse times and places: Las Vegas, the Russian Revolution, the Neverglades, and Las Tierras Rojas/the Red Lands
  • Detailed rules and setting information for navigating the spirit world known as the Nevernever
  • Updated magical systems, including new material on soulfire, sponsorship, and thaumaturgy
  • New and updated creatures to populate your game, including demons, archangels, creatures of the Nevernever, and scions
  • Character updates and new characters introduced to the Dresdenverse

The Paranet Papers. Because playing a wizard wasn’t dangerous enough already.

Feng Shui 2

It’s a week of exciting new releases so far, and it doesn’t get more exciting than Robin D. Laws’ return to the ultimate over-the-top world of Feng Shui!

It’s back in all its explodey, chi-blasting glory — Feng Shui, the classic game of Hong Kong–inspired cinematic action — refurbished with a fresh bag full of ammo for a new roleplaying generation! Original designer Robin D. Laws rushes your way on a bullet-riddled gurney to serve up the thrills fans remember, furiouser and faster than ever.

• Choose between 36 action flick archetypes. Be an icy-cool killer, a determined martial artist, a maverick cop, a crusty old master, a clanking cyborg, a highway ronin, or a melancholy ghost.
  • Fight with free-flowing bravura! Take out mooks, foes and bosses with guns, fu, magic, creature powers or the genetic mutations of a blasted future. Deploy smarts and skill to find your next fight!
  • Bolster your abilities by capturing special sites of power, the key to the Chi War that secretly commands history’s course.
  • Journey through time portals from contemporary Hong Kong to the Tang Dynasty, from the rebellion-soaked Opium Wars era to scorched, post-apocalyptic roadways.
  • Loaded with Game Master advice, easier to run than ever, and including a fully fleshed, mayhem-rich introductory adventure,Feng Shui 2 is more than ready for you.

Are you ready for it?

FENG SHUI 2: KICK BUTT • BLOW THINGS UP • SAVE THE WORLD

Monster Manual (3.5)

Not so much “new,” but certainly new to the PDF marketplace – the march to get D&D 3.5 material into everyone’s digital libraries continues with the recent release of the 3.5 Monster Manual up on DriveThruRPG.

Encounter a horde of monsters armed and ready to battle your boldest heroes or fight alongside them. The fully illustrated pages of this book are overrun with all the creatures, statistics, spells, and strategies you need to challenge the heroic characters of any Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game.

Over 200 creeps, critters, and creatures keep players on their toes. From aboleths to zombies, the revised Monster Manual holds a diverse cast of enemies and allies essential for any Dungeons & Dragons campaign. There are hundreds of monsters ready for action, including many new creatures never seen before.

Mythic Psionics

Another shiny new release, this one for Pathfinder fans from Dreamscarred Press, who love upping the ante with psionics in the game.

Although psionic characters and creatures can alter the very nature of reality, some have achieved a level of power that goes beyond even the extraordinary and into the realm of mythic. With Psionics Augmented: Mythic Psionics, you will find character options to allow psionic characters to play in mythic games, using the same rules as their non-psionic counterparts. But mythic characters need mythic enemies, and you will also find a variety of mythic psionic monsters to challenge your players in new and unique ways!

Psionics Augmented: Mythic Psionics is over 70 pages of new content and contains:

• A new mythic path, the overmind, aimed at manifesters
  • Psionic path abilities for the other mythic paths
  • Mythic versions of feats such as Deep Focus, allowing a character to always be treated as maintaining focus, or Psicrystal Affinity, where even your psicrystal is mythic
  • Three hundred mythic versions of psionic powers, taking powers to whole new levels like a Mythic Energy Ball that freezes creatures in place or sets them on fire
  • Nine mythic psionic monsters, including the classics like the gray glutton and phrenic scourge, but also newer monsters like the deranged trepanner and ghaar
  • And more!

Cypher System Rulebook

And today’s Pick is so new, it’s not even out yet. This is a PREORDER for Monte Cook Games‘ rather inevitable into the “core rules for everything” field. The system made famous by Numenera and featured in The Strange gets some massive overhaul to make it usable for just about anything you can imagine.

A Cypher System campaign of Victorian horror? High fantasy? Espionage? Galaxy-spanning space opera? With the Cypher System Rulebook, running any of those is as easy as running or playing The Strange or Numenera . Take the Cypher System to the limits of your imagination with this hefty rulebook that extends the system to fantasy, science-fiction, horror, modern-day, and superhero settings—or any setting you can imagine!

The Cypher System Rulebook adapts the Cypher System—the critically acclaimed, award-winning rules set that drives Numenera and The Strange—to an unlimited range of campaigns and genres, giving you the complete rules set (along with dozens of optional and genre-specific rules) and hundreds of character options, creatures, cyphers, and other resources. It’s everything you need to play virtually any game using the Cypher System rules.

If you’re already a fan of Numenera and/or The Strange, you’ll find new descriptors, foci, types, creatures, cyphers, and artifacts you can use in your campaign the minute you crack open the book. Many of the optional genre rules will benefit your campaign as well. There are pages and pages of content you can make use of in your existing game, even if you never take the Cypher System into another genre!

~~~
So there are your Picks for the first week of May, with some rather mind-blowing releases all piling up on top of each other. Good luck picking what to get first!

Meanwhile, I am deep in the design and writing of that Savage Rifts thing. I'll let you in on a little secret - I fly down to AZ to show what I have so far to the Savage Main Man himself. I am both nervous and excited, and I can promise you this little gathering will be huge for the project as we figure out what's working and what to take back to the design board.

That's next week; for me, with all I want to have ready, that means no gaming this weekend. Hope you'll pick up the slack for me and get some good ones in!

The Adventure Continues...

~SPF

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
D'oh! Torn between my great dislike of EHP (specifically Mr. Hanrahan) for actions towards preventing consumers from deciding with their wallets like rational adults, and my love of Dresden Files. Going to have to stick with principles on this one. (Not explaining, google for details if one so wishes.)

The Cypher System Rulebook, however, is a must have for the wife :D She's totally fallen in love with the system. Think i've bought her every physical product for Numenera and The Strange.

zug

Explorer
Thanks for the heads-up, jimmifett ... just googled it. I'll be sticking with principles as well. Nothing like censorship via extortion....Hanrahan can smooch the pooper.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I can guess what you're referring too, @jimmifett, given that you've been asked to drop it before; as has been mentioned before, both parties have clearly indicated that what you are accusing them of is not the case. . If you want to post potentially libellous stuff, please do it somewhere else. Waiting a few weeks then sneaking it in again as a vaguepost is not acceptable.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I sure hope MCG puts out a lite version of the Cypher System at some point. The price point for a print version is too high for me to invest in it, and if I'm going to get into the system, I want a book i can hold in my hands not a PDF.

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
I'm all for new Dresdenverse goodies, and Feng Shui 2 is really amazing. Cypher system... this core book might be the one to get me to really play it since it won't be linked to any settings and I'll get to tinker with it with my own setting.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases