WRATH OF THE RIGHTEOUS For Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo annnounced the Wrath of the Righteous boxed set for the PAGG at Paizocon. "In Wrath of the Righteous, the hellish Worldwound opens, unleashing a horde of demons from the post-apocalyptic Abyss. Players will battle the malevolent minions of the demon lord Deskari, and along the way, will become mythic heroes that rival the greatest legends the world of Golarion has ever know."

Paizo annnounced the Wrath of the Righteous boxed set for the PAGG at Paizocon. "In Wrath of the Righteous, the hellish Worldwound opens, unleashing a horde of demons from the post-apocalyptic Abyss. Players will battle the malevolent minions of the demon lord Deskari, and along the way, will become mythic heroes that rival the greatest legends the world of Golarion has ever know."

wotr.jpg

The Base Set will include:

• More than 500 cards, featuring a new set of boons for your characters to collect, new monsters, and barriers of a decidedly abysmal nature
  • 7 character classes, including the all new arcanist, cavalier, inquisitor, and summoner
  • The Worldwound Incursion Adventure Deck, a 110-card deck that begins the Wrath of the Righteous Adventure Path
  • A complete set of 6 polyhedral dice, including the first d20 in the PACG

Designer Tanis O’Connor said "Season of the Righteous will take the gleeful insanity of the Season of the Shackles, and turn it up to 11. Demons, cultists, and much more will await your party of adventurers in the dangerous of wastelands of the Worldwound."

There's also Organized Play features upcoming:

• Allowing characters to use promo cards from WizKids’ Pathfinder Battles: Iconic Heroes miniatures line as part of the player’s class deck
  • New advancement system for ease in table-mustering at small- and medium-sized events
  • A brand new PFSACG Guide to Organized Play

Chimpy

First Post
I thought the original was really good for a campaign-style cooperative card game - I've bought this one as well, although I skipped Skull&Shackles since I don't like pirate themed stuff.

keterys

First Post
So..., more of the same? I'll pass.
There are some notable differences between the three sets.

It's a bit odd to be dismissive in that particular fashion, when D&D has been producing 'more of the same' with amazing variance and vehemence of rightness and wrongness for 40 years.

Jhaelen

First Post
There are some notable differences between the three sets.
Well, I didn't see any significant difference between the first two sets. Gameplay is simply dull and very repetitive. the only saving grace of these games is the character advancement. All in all, I still consider it a bad buy. I wish I had researched the game more thoroughly before purchasing it.
It's a bit odd to be dismissive in that particular fashion, when D&D has been producing 'more of the same' with amazing variance and vehemence of rightness and wrongness for 40 years.
Let's keep the discussion on topic, i.e. card & board games.
To me it seems, that the latest installment of the D&D Adventure System boardgames 'Temple of Elemental Evil' comes with a lot of minor but very effective improvements, resulting in the best installment to date. I don't see that kind of progress in the Pathfinder card game.
And here's what really annoys me: I don't think it would take much of an overhaul to turn this into a decent game - but apparently Paizo isn't willing to try. I guess, they're happy with their sales, so why take any risk or invest more money into developing the game further?

keterys

First Post
I wish I had researched the game more thoroughly before purchasing it.
Certainly fair. Not every game is for everyone.

And here's what really annoys me: I don't think it would take much of an overhaul to turn this into a decent game - but apparently Paizo isn't willing to try. I guess, they're happy with their sales, so why take any risk or invest more money into developing the game further?
To be clear, there are plenty of people who really like the game and play it avidly. I just talked with someone who played 32+ hours of it last weekend.

I don't have the data to know whether the changes that make the game a good one for you would ruin it for those other people. Whether it would result in a better game, or a better-selling game. In part because you haven't stated what kind of changes you're looking for. I personally found that Wrath addressed several of my problems with Rise of the Runelords, though not every single one. Apocrypha attempts to address several more (the non-Paizo ACG game coming out next year).

Every PACG set changes a few details in notable ways, attempts to experiment outside that box, but it's not going to make an entirely different game. That's also been my experience with the D&D boardgames (excluding Dungeon), though they've been less popular locally than PACG. I'll need to check out Temple of Elemental Evil, to see what changes it's made. If you have any specific constructive criticisms of PACG, it's possible they've been addressed, or will be addressed in a later set.

Chimpy

First Post
I admit it does get repetitive sometimes but I think it is quite a good game and I like the progression element of it. Also I like the way it rewards making good choices and planning your tactics. The difficulty of RotR seems about right to me - WotR feels slightly too hard but it's a little early to say at the moment. It feels a bit more complex than the original as well - there's more "stuff" on the cards I think.

Not every person enjoys every game for one reason or another so that's fine.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
I just received my copy and of course my daughter wants to play a character from the add on deck.

Still looks tough and fun and I am looking forward to playing the Cavalier and Summoner.

Remove ads

Remove ads