Sean's Picks of the Week (0608-0612) - FATE, PF Gunslingers, Shaintar, Traveller 5E!

From ancient gods to the far future, gunslingers to apocalypse preventers, this week's got something for everyone. Plus, there's a bundle I want to bring your attention to, full of superheroic awesome and intended to help folks in Texas following the floods.

From ancient gods to the far future, gunslingers to apocalypse preventers, this week's got something for everyone. Plus, there's a bundle I want to bring your attention to, full of superheroic awesome and intended to help folks in Texas following the floods.

Fantastic Feats Volume XXXIX: Gunslinger

Some love them, some hate them. Such is the controversy of the Gunslinger in a predominantly fantasy-oriented rules set. Let’s see what you make of them with this very inexpensive set of stuff to expand their options. While you’re at it, you should probably take a look at the entire suite of Fantastic Feats books.

Fantastic Feats Volume 39 – Gunslinger

This edition of “Fantastic Feats” – a series of feats based around a certain theme or subject – is about the Gunslinger, the wielder of the strange and wonderful weapons known as guns.

The feats inside this volume:

• Gritty Aim – Grit can make it easier to bypass some armor
  • Gritty Experience – Having grit now make you a bit more effective in many areas
  • Gritty Nimbleness – The gunslingers grit now makes it easier to dodge
  • Gritty Wisdom – Hard learned lessons add to the Gunslingers grit
  • Improved Damage – Minimum damage from your weapon is now increased
  • Improved Repair Costs – It’s now cheaper to repair that weapon of yours
  • Improved Targeting – Increase the odd of getting a good result when targeting

The Grand-Daddy of All Sci-Fi Roleplaying hits it’s fifth edition with a whopping 759 pages of gaming content! Brought to you by Marc Miller, one of the original Traveller designers and the man carrying that first torch decades later, this is the definitive iteration.

The Traveller Science-Fiction Role-Playing Game System, Fifth Edition

The Core Rules for the fabled 5th edition of the Traveller science-fiction role-playing game. The best-selling kickstarter project from Marc Miller, replete with Character Generation for 13 careers, plus rules for non-human aliens (we call them sophonts), clones, chimeras, androids, robots, synthetics, and more.

Core game mechanics for Tasks and Skills.

Starship rules for construction, operation, and combat.

World rules for star systems, habitable, and uninhabitable, worlds, terrain, world surface travel, and more.

Maker Systems that allow fast, easy creation of guns, armor, weapons, and even Things– much easier and more usable than the old Fire, Fusion, and Steel.

Trade and Commerce rules detail how (with hard work) characters can make a living travelling betweem the stars.

759 page PDF including 19-page index.

Apocalypse Prevention, Inc. 2nd Edition

Eloy Lasanta and Third Eye Games have carved a serious niche out for themselves over the years with quirky, interesting, straight-up fun games and settings. One of the first to really connect with fans was the tongue-in-cheek monster-fighting API, which is now out in its 2nd Edition. This is a great time to jump in and cancel the apocalypse.

Join the fight to protect Earth by enlisting in API, a worldwide company whose only mission is to stop anyone or anything who wants to harm our world. Humanity doesn’t fight this battle alone, as monsters and demons have given up their lurking to serve the alongside the company. This is their home too!

Each API agent (20 playable races) is armed with the tools for the job. Some become adepts, followers of traditions teach 18 Paths of customizable magic. Some go under the knife to enhance their body with one of over 30 Cyberware implants. Some master combat training from one of 10 types of Fighting Styles. Most agents wade the waters between these three extremes, taking advantage of the almost limitless combinations of powers at their disposal.

Powered by the the Dynamic Gaming System 2.0 (DGS2.0), every mission is filled with excitement and drama, and every battle is immersive! All you need is 1d20 and an imagination to jump into the action. Includes plenty of character creation options, antagonists to battle and an in-depth view of our modern world through the eyes of Apocalypse Prevention, Inc.

Shaintar: Hunt of the Midnight Dominus

Yeah, this is another “it’s my page, gonna pimp my stuff” kind of thing. However, it’s also a very worthy pick, because Scott Corum is a fantastic author who deserves your attention. I really want to see him write even more excellent fiction.

Chanz Drake Abendroth, a swordsman of noble birth willing to risk his life on the smallest chance he might gain justice for his murdered family.

Brum Lander von Lander and Lisette “Zette” Stahlfaust – combat sorcerer and gifted rogue – are Chanz’s dearest friends. They, too, risk all simply because that friendship is precious to them.

Vika De’Lear, the Midnight Dominus, vampire lord of the city, who hunts as a way not just to feed, but to endure his existence with some sense of that which he gave away – life.

Their collective story entertwines in a most exciting and most surprising way. A dance of blade and spell, life and death, honor and destiny. Blood will spill and paths will change.

In a land given over completely to Darkness, ruled by monsters, there are places and times where honor and loyalty still mean something.

In fact, such things can mean everything.

Hunt of the Midnight Dominus, written by the very gifted Scott Corum (Victory System, Dakkar Unlimited, profiled in the documentary “The Dungeon Masters”), is the second of a series of novellas set in the epic high fantasy world of Shaintar (created by Sean Patrick Fannon for the Savage Worlds system).

Gods and Monsters

We round out this week’s Picks with a mythically-charged FATE product from Evil Hat themselves.

The world is young and majestic, and humans eke out a living and dream of civilization.

But you are not like them: you are a god. A primal creature, your soul a blazing font of power, your body an expression of your nature. The more extreme your behavior the greater the power you can wield—but it is easy to become lost in a single facet of your existence and cross the line from god to monster.

Perform mythic acts, skirmish with rival pantheons, and walk the line between power and control in this Fate World of Adventure by Chris Longhurst.

Gods and Monsters requires Fate Core or Fate Accelerated to play. This 50-page supplement contains:

• A new campaign structure that separates play into tales, allowing for gameplay to affect the world at large
  • World creation ideas, with basic structures for sub-regions and communities
  • Character creation systems for gods, including divine mantles, intention, and epic stunts
  • A sliding scale of opposing approaches allows characters to change during gameplay
  • A variety of introductory tales to get you started
  • Gods and Monsters. What will your legacy be?
~~~~~

Like I said above, I really want to show off this rather amazing bundle, which was put together to help a lot of folks in Texas recover from some terrible floods. Some lost their lives, and so many others lost homes, treasures, and pretty much everything else. It's got a ton of great superhero stuff, among other things.

Tonight, I am working really hard on the Savage Rifts project; I'm flying out Sunday to meet with Pinnacle's Clint Black for a "design summit" to make sure this thing really sings when we are done. Tomorrow, however, it's a day at the Faire; the one local to Denver opens at last!

This week, we say farewell to two men of adventure - Sir Christopher Lee and The American Dream, Dusty Rhodes. For them, and for us all...

The Adventure Continues!

~SPF

uriel222

First Post
Has anyone had a look at Traveller5? I'm curious about it, but it's a big price even for a big PDF.

If that's the one from the Kickstarter, it's a complete mess. Like a game design doc from the 80's got dumped into a book, with no editor, and no page limit. A mess of unconnected systems, almost no way to find anything, and useless in actual play.

I'd much rather go with the Mongoose edition, or even the GURPS one.

If that's the one from the Kickstarter, it's a complete mess. Like a game design doc from the 80's got dumped into a book, with no editor, and no page limit. A mess of unconnected systems, almost no way to find anything, and useless in actual play.

I'd much rather go with the Mongoose edition, or even the GURPS one.

From what I've read this one incorporates changes and errata, but it's still a bit rich for me to take the leap and find out if that helped make it more accessible....and especially hard when I have a version of Traveller that works great in only 200 pages.

Remove ads

Remove ads