Sean's Picks of the week (0615-0619) - Carinn Picks! Metamorphosis Alpha Returns! Hollow Earth, D&D,

Early this week, I was off in North Carolina meeting with Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager, Clint Black, and Pinnacle's Chief Operating Officer, Jodi Black. As you might expect, we were working on locking down the key rules for Savage Rifts, which is coming along amazingly well, if I may say so. My Belovedest (and Evil Beagle's Editor-in-Chief and Lead Developer for Shaintar), Carinn Seabolt, kindly stepped in to do a couple of Picks this week.

Early this week, I was off in North Carolina meeting with Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager, Clint Black, and Pinnacle's Chief Operating Officer, Jodi Black. As you might expect, we were working on locking down the key rules for Savage Rifts, which is coming along amazingly well, if I may say so. My Belovedest (and Evil Beagle's Editor-in-Chief and Lead Developer for Shaintar), Carinn Seabolt, kindly stepped in to do a couple of Picks this week.

Mage: The Ascension (Revised)

Sean is out of town (and away from his computer) for today, so it’s my turn to play at doing a Pick of the Day. Since I’m posting this right before heading out the door for my every-other-Monday-night game, I thought it appropriate to pick the game I’m about to play. Though tempted to post the Verbena Tradition book, I decided to be fair to the rest of the Traditions and opt for the game as a whole instead. Enjoy and, where this game is concerned, may you only roll tens!

Reality Overthrown!

Their heritage is magic, their quest truth. Every culture has nurtured or condemned them. They lead humanity to the far horizon and beyond. They are mages, the inventors of sorcery, science and faith. For centuries they have battled to define existence and lead humanity to an enlightened age. Now, in an age when technology is humanity's magic, the magicians of yesteryear's mystic Traditions fight for survival and the key to the cosmos itself Ascension.

Choose Your Truth

The heroes of Mage: The Ascension, revised in the tradition of Vampire: The Masquerade, have lost their war for reality but the struggle continues in this quintessential volume. All of the Traditions are updated and elaborated, along with the history of mages in the World of Darkness.

Explore the revised rules of the Spheres, Resonance and Paradox. See the devastating changes that signal the end for the Ascension War, and learn how modern mages survive 2000s Year of Revelations.

Savage Worlds Deluxe

As you may have surmised by the subject line, Sean’s still out of town. I get to choose today’s pick again. Time for some core book love…

Savage Worlds is a Fast! Furious! and Fun! rules system for any genre of roleplaying game. Create your own setting, convert an existing one, or pick up one of our amazing worlds like Deadlands, Slipstream, or Weird War II.The rules give players plenty of depth to create their characters and keep bookkeeping to a minimum for the game master. If you’re looking for a game that’s fast and easy to set up, run, and play, Savage Worlds is for you!

Savage Worlds Deluxe is the newest edition, providing an update to the third printing of Savage Worlds Explorer’s Edition. It includes rules updates, new rules material, new art, more examples, an expanded Setting Rules section, Designer Notes to give you an insight into the development, and much more. It does not, however, invalidate prior printings of the rules, which you can continue enjoy.

Metamorphosis Alpha

I am truly grateful to my Belovedest, Carinn Seabolt (Editor-in-Chief and Shaintar Lead Developer, Evil Beagle Games) for covering the Picks for me for the last couple of days. Expect to see that again in the future, as I have a crazy travel schedule developing.

But I am back, and I have a huge one to share today. As we continue seeing reboots and call-backs to some of the great settings of old, updated to new mechanics and new ways of thinking, the long-awaited Metamorphosis Alpha is finally available to you all.

It was the very first science fiction RPG ever published, created by James M. Ward and released by TSR. He’s teamed up with Jamie Chambers to bring it back to the gaming world with a new system and new sensibilities.

A human barbarian cuts through enemies with her sharp blade. A blue-skinned man uses the power of his mind to confuse and evade. A bipedal leopard teleports behind prey before rending with claw and tooth. A shambling tree ventures beyond its grove, peaceful until provoked. They explore strange lands and face many dangers … until they reach the wall at the end of the world.

Metamorphosis Alpha contains endless possibilities aboard the starship Warden, built as a gigantic generational colony ship filled with all examples of life on Earth, now a derelict “world” filled with malfunction and mutants who no longer realize they are on a ship at all. This book uses the System 26 game rules for fast-paced action and intuitive conflict resolution. Grab pre-made characters or create anything from pure humans to mutant animals and plants! Enjoy the exploration of classic dungeon crawl, the mutant powers of your favorite comics, and the technology of spacefaring science fiction in an exciting mashup as first revealed in the original science fiction roleplaying game first published in 1976. All you need to play is this book, a group of friends, and six-sided dice.

Revelations of Mars

Hollow Earth Expedition fans have a new reason to rejoice, as the adventures of this outstanding pulp setting take to the stars and bring the action to the fantastic surface of Mars. Discover the Revelations of Mars!

This sourcebook expands Hollow Earth Expedition to include Mars, a dying and dangerous planet filled with strange aliens, bizarre creatures, and vast, inhospitable wastelands. Fight for survival or vie for supremacy as a marauding sky pirate, powerful robot bodyguard, or conniving Martian noble. Experience Hollow Earth Expedition from an outside perspective—one that wields powerful weapons and hungers for earthly treasures as much as any terrestrial power.

Inside you will find everything you need to run out-of-this-world adventures or give your existing Hollow Earth games a bizarre twist: guidelines for creating robot and alien player characters; new and expanded psychic powers; an unearthly bestiary and equipment list; and details on strange Martian inhabitants and extraterrestrial locations. Hollow Earth Expedition: Discover a whole new world of adventure!

Holy Order of the Stars

Let’s end the week with some D&D action. Specifically, that amazing world that truly speaks to the Dragons part of the Grand Old Game.

The mortal races of Krynn can see the presence of the gods by simply turning their gaze to the night sky. There the constellations of the gods of good, evil, and balance wheel about in silent struggle to influence their children who live and die on the world below. The gods have blessed the world with miracles of healing and salvation, but so also have they inflicted war and terrible cataclysms.

Clerics, holy warriors, and people of strong belief serve the gods, working to bring about the aims and ends given to them through prayer and meditation. They wield the divine powers of true healing and magic, and most will live and die for their cause. Powerful champions wield holy artifacts, some created by the gods themselves.

Holy Orders of the Stars is a resource for games set in the world of DRAGONLANCE. Contained within these pages are resources for players, including information on the gods and the races of Krynn, new prestige classes, spells, and magical items. Detailed descriptions of the churches of all of Krynn’s gods are present, including the “lost” gods, Paladine and Takhisis. Dungeon Masters will discover resources on the gods and their aims, including their various aspects—ideal for incorporating divine forces into an ongoing campaign. All information within this volume is fully compatible with the revised edition of the d20 System game.

~~~~~
Working fast and furious (without the help of either the Rock or Riddick) to get that final first draft done on the Savage Rifts Players Guide. There will be a break this weekend, however, as I run some demos of the stuff at our local Con on the Range today and tomorrow. On Sunday, I'm teaching the first of a series of classes on World Building at our amazing FLGS, Total Escape Games.

Hope your weekend promises fun, good stuff.

The Adventure Continues!

~SPF

Remove ads

Remove ads