SPACE: A New Front Ear. No, that's not right...

Those who have been waiting for What's O.L.D. is N.E.W. will be pleased to hear that N.E.W. is coming along wonderfully! It's in layout, and below are a few pages from the book. These come from the Space chapter, which includes astronomical information (who says RPGs can't be educational?), and information on space travel, starship operations, sensor usage, space combat, stellar phenomena, and more.

Also of interest to fans of Mad Max, Knight Rider, Death Race, or James Bond will be the vehicle customization and vehicle combat rules from N.OW. N.O.W. is a long ways off yet, and as such those rules are still at the development stage and are due a lot of playtesting.

The following pages are pre-proofing! The Space chapter is 40-pages in length; this is just 8 of those pages.

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

Toriel

Explorer
Those look very good. I really like the backgrounds, the paging and the borders for the illustrations. The only thing I don't care for is the font for the main text. I find the way the letter "e" is presented very distracting. I find it harder and slower to read and to grasp what is being said. I'm probably part of a minority but I wanted to put it out there.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Cool stuff.

Though, as an aside, I like the idea of the galactic empire combined with modest FTL and that feeling of vast distances across which it may barely rule.

Wojorides

Explorer
The problem with space ships is the cost of repair. And how to repair. Components aren't cheap. Reminds me of a fantasy system where armor took damage anytime it was hit. SO the bandits would approach with no armor and the party of brave adventurers would be faced with a demand for cash or they would break our bank in the fight. For some reason we never played in that system again. (might have been Paladium, dont remember) The point is unless your missions are paying in the megacredits you cant afford to fight your ship if you take 5% damage on the Murphy you have just lost 44 mega credits. :(

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The Traveller issue, eh? Yeah, I'm on top of that thing! Ships are more analogous to cars than to houses.

Kinak

First Post
Those look very good. I really like the backgrounds, the paging and the borders for the illustrations. The only thing I don't care for is the font for the main text. I find the way the letter "e" is presented very distracting. I find it harder and slower to read and to grasp what is being said. I'm probably part of a minority but I wanted to put it out there.
I also found it a bit difficult to read, but I think it may be an artifact of being shrunk down on my screen. It may be fine at full size.

Cheers!
Kinak

GlassEye

Adventurer
This is beautiful so far (except that 'e') and I can't wait to get it in my hands. We haven't heard anything about OLD (my primary reason for following this) in what feels like months and months. Any chance of an update on that front?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This is beautiful so far (except that 'e') and I can't wait to get it in my hands. We haven't heard anything about OLD (my primary reason for following this) in what feels like months and months. Any chance of an update on that front?

I'm very focused on getting NEW out the door right now (though I have been working on NOW's vehicle rules during quiet periods). The NEW book, the WOIN Rules Reference Document, and the Starship Construction Manual are all close to fruition (the latter is done, actually), as is the Starship Builder web app.

Once NEW's done, my attention will turn solidly to OLD. I find my brain gets deeply into one genre at a time! There's not actually much left to do writing-wise for OLD - the mechanics are generally shared, the careers and the like need a little polishing but are basically done; it's mainly all the intro text, examples of play, explanatory stuff, fluff text, advice, that sort of thing.

My biggest issue with OLD will be fitting it all into the book. There's so much text written for it, and it's hard to decide what to jettison and save for a supplement. As it is, I fear I will have to choose between the two magic systems - spell-paths or the free-form system - which I'm loathe to do as I like both!

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases