Wand of Viscid Globs: Straight Out of Out of The Abyss!

The latest preview from Out of the Abyss, the upcoming (September 15th; Sep 4th in preferred stores) adventure for D&D 5th Edition shows a brand new magic item - the wand of viscid globs. This thing was crafted by the drow, and is used to restrain foes with viscous globs of slime.

Click here for all the other previews from this adventure!

CNM67xHUcAARgBQ.png

AriochQ

Adventurer
Restrained on a to-hit roll with no save? Seems a bit over powered to me. That legendary creature give you problems? Advantage for all of your party and disadvantage for him will make the fight a cakewalk.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Dad
This item really takes me back to my 1e days, so awesome to see it back in a simple, elegant system :)
One more week and this will be in my grubby little hands ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Inconnunom

Explorer
So I was rereading the the Find Familiar spell and it appears that they only have restrictions against attack actions. A warlock familiar that has hands can use or administer items such as potions, oil, and magic items. That being said, this would be an amazing weapon in the hands of an unseen imp.

Restrained on a to-hit roll with no save? Seems a bit over powered to me. That legendary creature give you problems? Advantage for all of your party and disadvantage for him will make the fight a cakewalk.

yup... but wont work in day light, so if you give this to your party have every dragon fight happen at high noon in a clear field....

Weird Dave

Adventurer
Publisher
I love the flavor of items like this, but I have to admit to it raising an eyebrow as the potential for ending a BBEG really quick. Most of these kinds of fights do not happen in full sunlight in my experience. On the other hand, at least it's restrained and not paralyzed - and it can be pretty mean against the party as well. I'm curious to see which diabolic foe the PCs face in Out of the Abyss that has one of these ...

Dausuul

Legend
I agree. This should be a Dex save, not a ranged attack roll.

werecorpse

Adventurer
Not a well thought out item. Creates an unbreakable material (why does it have to be unbreakable?) that restrains a creature of any size and strength (and substance - so I can stitch up the tarrasque, or a gargantuan fire elemental?) for a really long time. Because it's not a save it bypasses legendary resistance. It's a bit like petrification but that generally has multiple saves. The disappointing thing is that the problems are not hard to see but could have been easily fixed.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I like the flavor, although I agree it needs a little bit of clarification. I would make a judgment call that it won't work on large or bigger creatures, and I'd also allow a use of legendary resistance to allow a creature to escape.

It's not perfect, but easily fixed.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases