New EN World Mobile Site

If you're like me, and like to have a little collection of news icons on your mobile phone to quickly catch up on news sites which interest you, you might be pleased to know that EN World has joined that club! When viewing the news page on a mobile phone, you'll notice that it has a whole new mobile appearance designed for quick and easy news consumption. Of course, if you preferred the old way, just hit the "Desktop Version" button at the bottom - it will remember your choice on future visits.

If you're like me, and like to have a little collection of news icons on your mobile phone to quickly catch up on news sites which interest you, you might be pleased to know that EN World has joined that club! When viewing the news page on a mobile phone, you'll notice that it has a whole new mobile appearance designed for quick and easy news consumption. Of course, if you preferred the old way, just hit the "Desktop Version" button at the bottom - it will remember your choice on future visits.
If you have a folder of news apps and the like on your phone like I do, you can add EN World's mobile site to your phone homepage. In iOS it's one of the options when you touch that square at the bottom of the screen with the upward arrow coming out of it; I assume there's a similar option in Android.

Of course, if you're viewing this for a desktop, you won't have any idea what I'm talking about. Feel free to ignore this article!

For viewing the forum, of course, Tapatalk is an excellent option. It makes reading and posting on forums easy and quick.

CapnZapp

Legend
Excellent, a most helpful first step!

Of course, right now the new layout disappears as soon as you follow those news links (as soon as "/forum" becomes a part of the URL), ironically including your news article itself!

(if you read this as a regular news article, you need to visit the main page to see the new layout)

If and when the entire site (including forum threads) become mobile-aware I can finally ditch Tapatalk, which I currently use but only under protest: the app started to require you to sign up and log in to tapatalk itself; I'm using the last version that can be used as is by sideloading it and disabling Play Store from updating it)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Excellent, a most helpful first step!

Of course, right now the new layout disappears as soon as you follow those news links (as soon as "/forum" becomes a part of the URL), ironically including your news article itself!

(if you read this as a regular news article, you need to visit the main page to see the new layout)

If and when the entire site (including forum threads) become mobile-aware I can finally ditch Tapatalk, which I currently use but only under protest: the app started to require you to sign up and log in to tapatalk itself; I'm using the last version that can be used as is by sideloading it and disabling Play Store from updating it)

It's literally just the front page. But vBulletin (the forum software) does have a default mobile style you can select in the bottom left style selector.

There's an issue there, I think, though, with the automatic switching on the news page - you won't be able to see the news page while in the forum mobile skin until I figure out a way to automatically switch back and forth between the default forum mobile style and the new news page style depending on which page you're looking at. So it might be best to hold off using the mobile forum skin until I work that out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curmudjinn

Explorer
I'm a fan of the mobile frontpage aside from one thing, which could just be my device. The topic images are huge and take up nearly my whole screen, so I have to scroll to read the entire caption.

It's just a matter of seconds, so it really isn't any sort of big deal, but I can see future annoyance if you're returning to a news article that keeps dropping down the list and it takes a dozen swipes to reach on the mobile layout.

Nitpickicking for the lazy news surfer more than anything.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
nice front page, but as long as you have to go to the regular site to read the articles, it isn't much of an improvement, imo. I only use tapatalk for posting and reading the forums, I love that. But there is no good way to read the news on a phone. Imo

CapnZapp

Legend
nice front page, but as long as you have to go to the regular site to read the articles, it isn't much of an improvement, imo. I only use tapatalk for posting and reading the forums, I love that. But there is no good way to read the news on a phone. Imo
Baby steps... baby steps - let's focus on the bright side, and hopefully Morrus will continue this great initiative

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The next update will probably be the article pages themselves. Followed by working out how to get the forum mobile skin to only kick in on forum pages.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads