Pathfinder News From GAMA

News from the GAMA trade show, as reported by the (excellent) Know Direction podcast: Return to a classic Adventure Path with Curse of the Crimson Throne, one of Paizo’s most popular campaigns! The city of Korvosa is in chaos, and her new queen may well be the source–can a ragtag group of heroes stand before the might of one of Golarion’s most nefarious villains? This immense book has everything you need to run an entire full-length campaign covering months and months of play!

News from the GAMA trade show, as reported by the (excellent) Know Direction podcast: Return to a classic Adventure Path with Curse of the Crimson Throne, one of Paizo’s most popular campaigns! The city of Korvosa is in chaos, and her new queen may well be the source–can a ragtag group of heroes stand before the might of one of Golarion’s most nefarious villains? This immense book has everything you need to run an entire full-length campaign covering months and months of play!

• Updates the classic Adventure Path to the Pathfinder RPG rules for the first time.
  • Explore expanded adventures, including a brand new mission written by Paizo’s Creative Director, James Jacobs, that sends the heroes into a perilous dungeon run by the queen’s infamous Gray Maidens!
  • Features dozens of evocative illustrations of classic characters.
  • Updated rules for monsters, magic items, and character options, some old, some new.
  • Retail Price: $49.99

The two best-selling Pathfinder RPG hardcovers of all time come to paperback at least in brand-new “Pocket Editions” set for a Fall 2016 release!

• Affordable price significantly lowers Pathfinder’s cost barrier to entry.
  • Perfect for use with Pathfinder Society Organized Play.
  • Exactly the same content as the hardcover editions, at a new low price!
  • Core Rulebook Retail Price: $24.99
  • Bestiary Retail Price: $19.99

Credit for the pictures goes to the Uncle’s Games Twitter page.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Curse of the Crimson Throne was one of my favorite APs to play in -- until we had a TPK in book 4. Never did get to finish it. Some of the earliest Pathfinder APs were freakin' BRUTAL!

Thoughts:

Curse of the Crimson Throne is an odd choice. It was the second Pathfinder AP (for 3.5e) but it was only adequately received. It took a long time for many of the volumes to sell out and many are still available (despite being sold at half price on Paizo.com). It certainly was not as popular as Skull & Shackles or Kingmaker.
It feels like the safe choice. The second oldest so they don't have to worry about newer ones not selling as people anticipate a collection, and they can justify reselling it because the rules can be updated.

Unsure about the demand for softcover versions of the Core Rulebook and Bestiary 1.
The cynic in me thinks this feels like they're trying to drum up sales and get more people into the game - or back into the game (since they had to have scheduled this prior to the Humble Bundle). The Pathfinder Core Rulebook is a rather pricey purchase.

However, one of the hurdles is just its size. Even if you can buy a cheap paperback at $25, it's still HUGE and isn't really designed to aid new players into gaming for the first time.
But they really want to just keep that in print and have everyone using the same book rather than repackage the Core rules.

Really, a cheap Core Rulebook is almost better as a gift product. Or for those of you who want to take a Core Rulebook to a bindery and have it done up in leather.

Starfox

Hero
Curse of the Crimson Throne made the skeleton of a 6-year, 135 session campaign I just finished. It is a great story, but as you would guess from the figures I added a lot to it - such as parts from 4 other adventure paths. But as far as I am concerned, I think Curse of the Crimson Throne is THE best adventure path so far.

delericho

Legend
I'm surprised at "Curse of the Crimson Throne" getting a compilation - I'd assumed RotRL was a one-off because they wouldn't want to compete with their own current APs. I wonder if they'll do "Second Darkness" and "Legacy of Fire" (thus bringing them all to the PF rules), and indeed if they'll stop there?

The pocket editions of the rulebooks are interesting, if a little odd - given the sheer size of the Core Rulebook, just how big do they think our pockets are?

ZeshinX

Adventurer
A resounding "meh" from me, at least as far as these two items are concerned (a reprint and a reprint with some updates). Can't all be new and shiny...but hopefully there's more than just this.

Azgulor

Adventurer
Thoughts:

Curse of the Crimson Throne is an odd choice. It was the second Pathfinder AP (for 3.5e) but it was only adequately received. It took a long time for many of the volumes to sell out and many are still available (despite being sold at half price on Paizo.com). It certainly was not as popular as Skull & Shackles or Kingmaker.
It feels like the safe choice. The second oldest so they don't have to worry about newer ones not selling as people anticipate a collection, and they can justify reselling it because the rules can be updated.

Unsure about the demand for softcover versions of the Core Rulebook and Bestiary 1.
The cynic in me thinks this feels like they're trying to drum up sales and get more people into the game - or back into the game (since they had to have scheduled this prior to the Humble Bundle). The Pathfinder Core Rulebook is a rather pricey purchase.

However, one of the hurdles is just its size. Even if you can buy a cheap paperback at $25, it's still HUGE and isn't really designed to aid new players into gaming for the first time.
But they really want to just keep that in print and have everyone using the same book rather than repackage the Core rules.

Really, a cheap Core Rulebook is almost better as a gift product. Or for those of you who want to take a Core Rulebook to a bindery and have it done up in leather.

You’re projecting – a lot. CotCT regularly polls near the top of the list of favorite APs when the question comes up on Paizo forums. It is far from “adequately received”.

How are lower cost versions of the CRB & Bestiary a bad thing? Whether as table copies or entry-level books, they’ll be good options. Pinnacle Entertainment Group has done a similar move with Savage Worlds to good popularity & success for a long time. I run campaigns for each of my sons and their friends – that’s 16 kids that I’ve introduced to Pathfinder. These books will be perfect for them.

I only hit ENWorld about 1/week now, but holy cow, is it impossible for the 5e crowd to just enjoy 5e without needing PF to fail to do so?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You’re projecting – a lot. CotCT regularly polls near the top of the list of favorite APs when the question comes up on Paizo forums. It is far from “adequately received”.

Indeed, it's the second highest rated Pathfinder AP here on EN World.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/produc...hfinder+Adventure+Paths&catid=&genre=&system=

I only hit ENWorld about 1/week now, but holy cow, is it impossible for the 5e crowd to just enjoy 5e without needing PF to fail to do so?

Nobody has wished failure on Pathfinder here. :)

Remove ads

Remove ads