RPG Crowdfunding News 027: Sunken Temple, Of Drow Origin, Grin: A Darker Age, Kobold Press Bestiary

Welcome back to our weekly look at tabletop roleplaying game, and accessories, crowdfunding roundup! Each week we’ll be looking at a few campaigns currently running that have caught our eye as well as occasionally speaking to some of the creators about their campaigns, or looking at some of the ‘behind the scenes’ business aspects of putting together, launching, operating and then delivering a crowdfunded project. If you have anything you’d like us to cover, or questions about anything we talk about, please don’t hesitate to leave a comment or contact me directly.

Welcome back to our weekly look at tabletop roleplaying game, and accessories, crowdfunding roundup! Each week we’ll be looking at a few campaigns currently running that have caught our eye as well as occasionally speaking to some of the creators about their campaigns, or looking at some of the ‘behind the scenes’ business aspects of putting together, launching, operating and then delivering a crowdfunded project. If you have anything you’d like us to cover, or questions about anything we talk about, please don’t hesitate to leave a comment or contact me directly.

[h=3]Sunken Temple, an RPG adventure for 5e, Pathfinder, & WOIN by EmbersDS[/h]
(Campaign Ends : Sunday 18th December 2016; 17:00 UTC)

Inspired by the Cthulhu Mythos, Sunken Temple is an adventure for Pathfinder, 5e and W.O.I.N. that takes place in a mysterious range of never-before-seen mountains.

“The playstyle is predominantly a dungeon crawl, with a horrific element appropriate to the source material. The temple includes several wings, each with a different feel, assortment of baddies, and their own malevolent purpose – with additional wings ready to be unearthed through stretch goals!”

The adventure is suitable for 4 to 5 characters of 6th level and will include game stats and original artwork for a number of traditional Lovecraftian creatures (such as deep ones, star spawn, byahkee, and night gaunts) as well as some original creatures made for the game.

[h=3]Of Drow Origin (module) by Randy Aitken[/h]
(Campaign Ends : Saturday 17th December 2016; 19:00 UTC)

Of Drow Origin is a tale of intrigue and shifting loyalty. This one-shot module has a very high replay value, caters to new players and veterans, and features unique game play scenarios which ultimately resolve through PVP interaction (combat and non-combat).

This project contains a full package of goodies certain to appeal to all types of gamers, including a beautifully illustrated book chock full of unique content and extras that make this a grab-and-go solution for DMs that want to run a game for friends, a party, or convention. As written this game is intended for NINE players but scales well down to as few as four or five.

The story is written with an emphasis on roleplay. Character level range from two to eleven making choosing allies an all-important task. Each of the nine main characters has a short background that provides just enough ambiguity to allow players to insert themselves into the heads of their character while still making decisions that make each play-through different.

This module uses the Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition rules and is setting neutral.

[h=3]Grin: A Darker Age by Arcana Games[/h]
(Campaign Ends : Friday 16th December 2016; 07:59 UTC)

Grin is a one-page survival horror roleplaying system which you can download free of charge on their website or as a Pay What You Want on DriveThruRPG. The game is rules light and uses a deck of plying cards instead, creating a deadly game for the characters.

Grin : A Darker Age is an anthology of nearly twenty scenarios. Grin’s deadly nature lends it to single session games or one shots. The book will be over a hundred pages with illustrations. The single thread that ties the scenarios in the compendium together is that they all take place in our own world’s past, often with a supernatural twist.

Some scenarios are designed for a single Master and Player. This unique two-person format allows for the exploration of ideas of madness and perception in ways games normally could not.”

A selection of the scenarios include:

Silver and Bone: A Viking raiding party sack a village in the cold north and find more death than they bargained for.

Corpselight: A group of sailors is lead astray by a light in the fog and shipwrecked during a storm, only to find themselves on a strange island.

A Mask Beneath the First: A group of villagers are trapped in a convent, doors barred to stop a plague from spreading outside its walls; however, the disease is not the only reason they’re locked inside.

The Hand that Feeds: A millionaire’s private museum, a shrivelled hand, and a deadly game of cat and mouse.

[h=3]Kobold Press Bestiary – A Collection of Fantasy Miniatures by John Popson[/h]
(Campaign Ends : Sunday 11th December 2016; 01:00 UTC)

Effincool Miniatures have teamed up with Kobold Press to bring us a range of 28mm pewter miniatures based on the Midgard campaign setting as well as the Tome of Beasts.

The range available, as I write this column, is 32 miniatures – which includes a dozen stretch-goals so far with a bunch more expected to be unlocked before the campaign finishes. The core group of 20 miniatures gives us a range of creatures from the Kobold Press universe – such as Deep One Hybrid Priest, Bearfolk, Dust Goblin, Ratfolk Rogue and the Kobold Chieftain. Unlocked stretch goal miniatures so far include the Grim Jester, Moonlit King, Flab Giant, and Lord of the Hunt, among others.

[h=3]Fantasy Maps, The Shops!! 12 Shops for your town by Gaudreau Steve[/h]
(Campaign Ends : Thursday 8th December 2016; 04:30 UTC)

Steve Gaudreau has run a number of successful Kickstarter campaigns creating a variety of maps for use with fantasy games. His latest Kickstarter is offering twelve town shops for you to use, plus in addition a Small Farm map has been unlocked already as a stretch goal. The buildings available are Military Office, Weaponsmith & Shop, Library, Carpenter & Shop, General Shop, Alchemist Shop, Town Church, Food Store, Stone Worker, Inns & Taverns and the Horse Seller.

Each map will be available as a 300 dpi PDF and JPEG with, and without, grids of 1 inch = 5 feet. With rewards starting at only $2 (Canadian) it’s a very cheap campaign to support to get some quality maps on your gaming table.

If you like what we do here at EN World (the Forums, Columns, News, ENnies, etc) and would like to help support us to bring you MORE please consider supporting our Patreon. Even a single dollar helps Thanks!

In last week’s column we included a campaign called Places by the Way by Douglas Sun. One of the rewards was a Forgotten Realms version of the adventure through the Dungeon Masters Guild. As all DM Guild products have to exclusively go through the site it was unable to be offered via a Kickstarter. As such Douglas cancelled the original campaign and has launched a new campaign, without the Forgotten Realms version as a reward (but that version will still be available via Dungeon Masters Guild after the campaign). The new campaign can be found here.

If you have a forthcoming Kickstarter, or see one that excites you, please feel free to drop me an email on angus.abranson@gmail.com You can follow me on Twitter @ Angus_A or on Facebook where I often post about gaming.

Until next week, have fun and happy gaming!

Angus Abranson

I backed Sunken Temple as well! Ember Design's previous products, Yrisa's Nightmare and Rats in the Streets were awesome! I can't wait to play this one. :)

For the Sunken Temple Kickstarter, there's been an option added to create a sailor NPC for the story. I did this for Yrisa's Nightmare and Rats in the Street and it was fun to see my idea set in that world. I wrote an article about the experience - http://tesseraguild.com/kickstarter...ess-yrisas-nightmare-and-rats-in-the-streets/ - and would highly recommend trying it for yourself with the Sunken Temple. Or giving it as a Christmas gift to an RPG buddy. ;-)

Remove ads

Remove ads