Need Adventure Design Guidance? Look To The Dungeon Master's Guide

Gamers have gotten pretty comfortable over the years with the triumvirate of books that form the core of Dungeons & Dragons. In fact, I suspect many gamers allow their familiarity with the three-book format to keep them from closely reading the entirety of those texts. Those gamers, myself included, know generally what content is included in each book, so they simply hunt down the chapters they need as they become relevant.

But those core books, the Dungeon Master's Guide in particular, reward a close reading with lots of great advice, insights and hooks that gamers might miss otherwise. The section on adventure design, for instance, contains some terrific advice that's worthwhile for new and experienced Dungeon Masters alike.

Most of the adventure design advice resides in part two of the Dungeon Master's Guide, aptly titled "Master of Adventures." This section includes chapters on a number of design fundamentals, and the parts I want to focus on are in chapter 3, "Creating Adventures." The chapter begins by listing some of the common elements that make outstanding adventures before transitioning to a discussion on how to structure them. Keeping just those lessons in mind will prepare a Dungeon Master to craft hours of engaging adventures for his or her players.

First, let's look at one of elements stressed in the text, that of "familiar tropes with clever twists." "It might seem stereotypical to build an adventure around dragons, orcs, and insane wizards in towers, but these are staples of fantasy storytelling," the guide says. I've seen Dungeon Masters get frustrated because they don't think their ideas are original enough or because they think they have to vanquish ever fantasy storytelling convention to make their games truly original. Don't sweat it, the Dungeon Master's Guide says. Instead, embrace those fantasy clichés because people play Dungeons & Dragons precisely because they like those clichés. Stock fantasy tropes provide players with a sense of familiarity and a common vocabulary for the game. Every once in a while, a Dungeon Master should present a trope with a new twist that the players don't expect. But it doesn't have to be all that often. An occasional surprise goes a long way.

Later in the chapter, the text discusses structuring adventures with a beginning, middle and end. The text doesn't call this a three-act structure, but that's basically what it's getting at. And this is a lesson I've been applying to my own adventures since my earliest attempts at homebrewing games for my players years ago. In the first act of an adventure, introduce a problem for the players to solve. The second act escalates that problem or twists it in an unforeseen direction. The third act puts the players face to face with the problem in a climactic confrontation. During the third act, the players will either solve the conflict or fail and suffer appropriate consequences.

Three-act structures aren't going to revolutionize your game, but there's a reason this particular structure turns up again and again in all manner of storytelling. Structuring an adventure in three cohesive acts – even an adventure that doesn't have the strongest or most original premise –provides a satisfying pace and a natural sense of fulfillment for the players.

Useful knowledge awaits in the darkest corners of the D&D core books, so don't let those old tomes collect dust on your shelf. Their pages can impart powerful wisdom, but only for those dedicated enough to seek it out!

​contributed by Fred Love

Though I've had the book for a bit over three years, I can't honestly say I've read it all the way through. There's some great info in the book for sure. After reading this, I'm inclined to look over mine again soon, especially to help with story telling for my upcoming Starfinder and Tomb of Annihilation campaigns.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Any DM worth his or her salt knows that the real way to treat the books is to skim the PHB then shelf the DMG because there's nothing in there you don't already know from other games and OF COURSE all that knowledge is completely portable into this game. Then when things inevitably go wrong, come to the forums and complain about the game design.

Satyrn

First Post
Any DM worth his or her salt knows that the real way to treat the books is to skim the PHB then shelf the DMG because there's nothing in there you don't already know from other games and OF COURSE all that knowledge is completely portable into this game. Then when things inevitably go wrong, come to the forums and complain about the game design.

I'm a terrible DM. Worth no salt.

Well, maybe a couple grams of that iodized table salt that ain't in fashion no more.

redrick

First Post
Maybe this is heresy, but I wish a book like the DMG came in a format that was more readable than the 8.5x11 RPG book size. It's not the sort of thing that I just want to sit down and read, and the chapters are chunked in a way that I always find myself reading the first half of something better never getting through to the second half.

That said, yes, I found myself re-reading some of the adventure design material in the DMG recently, and it is good stuff. As the OP says, there's nothing wrong with using clichés in D&D.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
I am surprised at how many DMs don't actually read these too. Before 5E I set out to read/reread several GM guides. Although I thought I knew my trade very well, there are gems in most of them. I liked the 4E DMGs. The 5E one is brilliant and catered to exactly what I wanted in such a book - inc several tables. :)

ddaley

Explorer
Maybe this is heresy, but I wish a book like the DMG came in a format that was more readable than the 8.5x11 RPG book size. It's not the sort of thing that I just want to sit down and read, and the chapters are chunked in a way that I always find myself reading the first half of something better never getting through to the second half.

That said, yes, I found myself re-reading some of the adventure design material in the DMG recently, and it is good stuff. As the OP says, there's nothing wrong with using clichés in D&D.

Well, there is always D&D Beyond. That is probably where I'll read much of it. As an added bonus, I can look like I am working. That is kinda hard to do with a physical book at my desk!

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
It always amazes me how many people who not only run D&D games but write stuff for publication clearly haven't read the DMG. It's not uncommon to see people trying to create rules for situations handled simply and elegantly in the book. I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone come up with rules for stuff like quicksand, that's right there.

I love the DMG. I with the SRD contained more of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases