It's Time To Pre-Order Your Copy Of Into The Borderlands

Goodman Games announced some months ago that it would be producing 5th Edition updates of classic D&D adventures, and the first is now ready for pre-order: Into the Borderlands, a 384-page hardcover reprinting two classic adventures and also updating them to D&D 5E. The book slated for a May release.

Original-Adventures-Reincarnated-B1-B2.png

Original Adventures Reincarnated: Into the Borderlands is now available for pre-order! This 384-page hardcover reprints the classic Dungeons and Dragons modules B1: In Search of the Unknown and B2: The Keep on the Borderlands, in both their original format and updated for Fifth Edition Dungeons and Dragons. And there is even a full-color 16-page cover gallery insert!

The expected release date for Into the Borderlands is May, but we are hoping (cross your fingers!) to have some early-release copies available at Gary Con in March!

Inside this book you will find high-quality scans from multiple printings of the original first edition adventure modules, plus commentary by such gaming luminaries as Luke Gygax and Mike Mearls. Full fifth edition conversions of both adventures are included, as well as brand new additional adventure locations to further expand and develop the Borderlands. This is a fully playable mini-campaign to start off your new fifth edition adventures, with a distinct old-school vibe.

The originals were 16 pages each (edit - correction; B1 was 32 pages and B2 was 28 pages). This 284-page hardcover includes TWO reprinting of each of the two original modules plus the 5E conversions, which take up more space. The two reprinting include differences like different stat block formats, and different interior art. Goodman Games says "We don’t believe this is repeating the same thing, and these reprints are particularly interesting if you are a student of gaming history."

B1B2-TOC.jpg

The conversion to 5E is a "direct conversion", remaining consistent with the 1E originals; so there will be the same number of monsters in each location, and so on. "It’s up to the DM to mitigate this, or the PCs to use wise tactics (some described by Mr. Gygax himself, decades ago), or to use the age-old practice of “run away to fight another day.” The original B2 was itself not balanced in regard to encounters. There was nothing (aside from a few vague rumors) to prevent a party of 1st-level PCs from wandering into the upper caves, and facing down dozens of undead in one room (for example)."

[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:

G

Guest 6801328

How on earth did two old-school modules get stretched to 384 pages?

(I don't see tables of names in the contents.)

I love B1 and B2. They were the first modules I ever got to play. I have a great deal of love for them.

But only distaste for this product. I want to love it like I loved the originals, but the more I hear about this the more reluctant I get. The more the taste sours.

3 versions of each version? If I want the old versions, I'll just go get them out of my closet or buy the PDFs. I mean really, how many of us need reprints so that we can be "students of gaming history"? These reprints will never be collectors items like the originals, and for any type of 'study' you would want the originals anyway.

"expected release date" How many times have we heard this? Wasn't is supposed to be September 2017 originally?

A "direct conversion" where "It’s up to the DM to mitigate this". Then what am I supposed to be buying? Sure, I know the roginal wasn't balanced, and this one doesn't have to be either. But if all they did was take the old one and said "5 goblins in this room, ok, we'll put 5 goblins in our conversion."

Then what the heck are we buying? What "work and effort" have they done? Where's the value add? Was all their effort all about cleaning up the images, text and formatting? I'm not paying for that.

paintphob

First Post
The originals were 16 pages each.

Neither of the originals were 16 pages. B1 is 32 pages, and B2 is 28 pages. Including the front and back covers and interior cover maps adds 4 pages to each. So a total of 72 pages for B1 and 64 pages for B2 for both versions of each.

That gets the B1 section to line up with the table of contents, but I can't figure out were the extra six pages for B2 come from.

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
how do you get to 384 then ? One of the best things from modules of that time is that a lot was left unsaid, or only alluded to. It does not seem to respect them to stretch it that much.

The modules have not been changed just reprinted several times. Then there is example of stocking the dungeons, a 5e conversion, advice, new monster, magic items, etc. There is heaps there, this is a collector's piece, not a gaming book. I really don't get the confusion over how it can be so big, the descriptor and ToC is pretty clear. But really, don't buy unless your a collector and just love DnD books - like me! However being in NZ, shipping is more expensive than the book so I won't be pre ordering it, sadly.

paintphob

First Post
how do you get to 384 then ? One of the best things from modules of that time is that a lot was left unsaid, or only alluded to. It does not seem to respect them to stretch it that much.

Assuming this is in reply to me, all the other stuff. The update to 5th, the additional encounters, the new magic items, spell, and monsters, the section on henchmen and hirelings.

I was only pointing out that the original prints were not 16 pages. And with the correct page count, the reprint section of the book lines up closer to the expected page count.

As for the send half of your reply, I am not sure we can infer anything from the page count. There is no mention of a detailed guide to the Kingdom, nothing about the true power(s) behind the Cult, no details on the fate of Rogahn and Zelligar, nothing. The same things may still be alluded to, with even more hooks put in place with only brief mention.

dave2008

Legend
Then what the heck are we buying? What "work and effort" have they done? Where's the value add? Was all their effort all about cleaning up the images, text and formatting? I'm not paying for that.

Did you read the ToC? It gives you a pretty good idea. Most of the pages are new 5e encounters, magic items, weapons, hirlings, etc. Seems like a lot of "work and effort" to me.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases