Sean's Picks of the Week (0226-0302) - Bundle of Joy Week!

Gamers love bundle deals. We discovered this when I was still the Marketing & Communications Director for DriveThruRPG/RPGNow, and we did the Haiti Earthquake Relief Bundle way back when. Sure, it was for charity, which also drove interest... but the unbelievable deal folks got by paying just a few dollars to get a massive electronic treasure trove of products wasn't forgotten. This week, we take a look at some great bundle offers you may have missed or were just released. Unfortunately, one of them went off sale during the week, so there's only four to share today.

Gamers love bundle deals. We discovered this when I was still the Marketing & Communications Director for DriveThruRPG/RPGNow, and we did the Haiti Earthquake Relief Bundle way back when. Sure, it was for charity, which also drove interest... but the unbelievable deal folks got by paying just a few dollars to get a massive electronic treasure trove of products wasn't forgotten. This week, we take a look at some great bundle offers you may have missed or were just released. Unfortunately, one of them went off sale during the week, so there's only four to share today.

A FISTFUL OF COPPERS

With the release of the collection of best-selling titles on the Dungeon Masters Guild site – A Fistful of Coppers – I figured this might be a great week to feature deal-a-riffic bundles of gaming greatness. These are those collections of products that let you get a whole slew of things for a nice discount. Best of all, the systems used by DriveThruRPG and Dungeon Masters Guild means you don’t get a raw deal if you already have something in a bundle you’re looking to buy – you get credit for that.

So welcome to Bundle of Joy Week here at the SPOD, launching with a selection of best-of-show from those making 5e gaming goodness.

A constellation of DM’s Guild stars have joined forces to bring you a collection of some of the Guild’s BEST SELLING products!

In this veritable bag of holding for best-sellers, you’ll find a huge variety of content in more than two dozen different products, ranging from powerful magic items to incredibly useful DM aids to unique player options to exciting adventures. And you’re certain to find awesome stuff, because each and every one is a highly-rated medal winner!

More than 800 pages of the most popular content on the Guild. Dozens of hours of entertainment of the highest possible quality. All for more than 66% OFF the cover price. If you bought each of these products individually, you’d pay over $60!

Check out the preview for detailed descriptions of each of the products in “A Fistful of Coppers.”

Featuring the work of veteran Guild creators Phil Beckwith (of PB Publishing), Christian Eichhorn, Jeff Stevens, Andrew Cawood, Richie Root, Jean Lorber, Jeremy Forbing, Adam Hancock, Tony Petrecca, Travis Legge, Janek Sielicki, Kerry Jordan, Chris Bissette (of Loot The Room), Alan Tucker, and R P Davis, grab your Fistful of Coppers NOW!

HERO KIDS FANTASY BUNDLE

By now, it’s no secret how much of a fan of the Hero Kids line I am. In the great push to create games specifically geared towards bringing new young players into the space, this series is a major success. Naturally, I think their Hero Kids Complete Fantasy Bundle makes a great entry for Bundle of Joy Week here at the SPOD. Seriously – over $65 of stuff for $20 is a very nice deal that gives you the total package to get the kids gaming.

Hero Kids is the ENnie award-winning fantasy RPG for kids aged from 4 to 10. This game offers a fast and fun introduction to RPGs, perfect for younger kids who are just getting interested in role-playing games.

NOTE: The Hero Kids – Complete Fantasy PDF Bundle includes 50% discount coupons for the softcover print versions of Hero Kids – Fantasy RPG and the Hero Kids – Fantasy Expansion – Monster Compendium (the coupons are emailed to you when you buy the bundle). So if you want the whole lot (PDFs and print version of the rules), buy the bundle then use the coupon to buy the softcover print version of Hero Kids – Fantasy RPG for half price!

Hero Kids has a simple combat and adventuring system which avoids the complex maths of full-blown systems. Hero Kids’ opposed dice pool system also keeps the players involved in the game even when it’s not their turn.

The combat and adventuring mechanics in Hero Kids are based on six-sided dice, so you don’t need to find any unusual dice to play!

The core game comes in a 50-page PDF and includes all of the rules and play instructions, as well as 10 heroes for the kids to play, plus a set of 16 basic monsters (and all of the separate adventures come with additional monsters). The game includes male and female heroes, including Warriors, Hunters, and Warlocks as well as unique heroes like the Rogue, Brute, Healer, and Knight. All of the heroes and monsters also come with printable stand-up minis to use in combat encounters.

Additionally, this basic game pack also includes the 19-page introductory adventure ‘Basement O Rats’, which comes with an extra monster and five illustrated printable encounter maps. Can the kids rescue their friend Roger from the unusually large rats that have overrun the tavern basement?

Hero Kids has undergone and extensive development and playtesting to ensure the game is as simple, addictive, and engaging as possible.

TWILIGHT 2000 (V1) BUNDLE

One of the head-turning developments in RPGs in the early 80s was the 1984 release of Twilight: 2000. We all knew GDW as the Traveller guys, and that was pretty much it… until this utterly fascinating idea of post-WW III soldiers-as-adventurers suddenly grabbed our imaginations and would not let go.

Understand – in 1984, we had The Day After and very real discussions about the Warsaw Pact and Russian tanks rolling into France as part of our daily lives. The idea of a mostly-conventional war bringing about the collapse of modern society rang true, but Twilight: 2000 turned that into a chance to be badass military heroes doing what they could in the aftermath. Survival was certainly a focus, but you could also approach it in terms of “what do we do to save people and rebuild the world?”

Even if you’re disinclined to play the actual game by the presented rules (they are very Old School up in this bundle), the source material is deep, rich, and incredibly useful for anyone wanting to examine the chilling-and-thrilling alt-future-history of this setting. Well over $200 for a bundle price of $40.00 makes this practically a no-brainer.

(From the core rulebook) –

Twilight: 2000 is a complete role-playing system for survival in a devastated post-holocaust world. Rules cover character generation, living off the land, encounters, combat, skills and skill improvement, medicine, vehicles, ammunition, trade and much more.

The combat rules are a major breakthrough. One general combat resolution procedure covers all types of combat: hand-to-hand, melee weapons, small arms fire and fire against armored vehicles. Once the basic three-step combat sequence is understood (Did you hit? Where did you hit? How hard did you hit?), combat is quick and easy to resolve, but the wide range of weapons values keeps the system rich in detail.

The background to the war is covered in detail, and extensive material on the state of the world is included to assist the referee. The beginning adventure is actually a campaign and is the most complete adventure of its type to appear in a role-playing game. It not only gets you playing quickly, it provides many gaming sessions worth of encounters and andventures and then easily blends into your own campaign.

Game charts are in a separate chart booklet, and are arranged so that each two-page spread of charts contains all the information needed to referee one aspect of the the game (travel, encounters, personal combat, vehicle combat, etc.) so there is no flipping back and forth searching for the correct chart during play. From the referee’s point of view, it is a very user friendly game.

TYRANNY OF DRAGONS BUNDLE

We’re closing out Bundle of Joy Week with this rather spectacular offering for 5e Dungeon Masters (and the players who love them) – DDEX1 Tyranny of Dragons Complete Bundle. A players’ pack and fourteen modules to give you a complete campaign for just over $25. It’s actually one of a whole slew of Adventurer’s League bundles that will keep D&D groups going for months or even years.

(The text from the Player’s Pack and the first module) –

Tyranny of Dragons Player’s Pack (5e)

The D&D Adventurer’s League is an ongoing official organized play campaign for Dungeons & Dragons. It uses the fifth edition of the Dungeons & Dragons rules, and features the Forgotten Realms setting.This Player’s Pack includes:

Adventurers League Quickstart Guide Adventurers League Player’s Guide Adventurers adventure logsheet Adventurers character sheet

Defiance in Phlan

The Cult of the Dragon has come to Phlan, a lawless refuge on the Moonsea. Now, with no significant authority to stop the cult, other power groups in the Realms–the Harpers, Order of the Gauntlet, Emerald Enclave, Lords’ Alliance , and even the Zhentarim–must untite to stop the cult from fulfilling its dark purpose in the city. Join the fight by participating in any one of five different missions aimed at stopping the cult.

An introductory adventure for 1st-level characters.

-----
I know I usually talk about what games or gaming activities I have planned for the weekend here, but with the Freedom Squadron Kickstarter just around the corner (and a Launch Party/Epic Game scheduled at AndoCon in Atlanta next weekend), this is a seriously working kind of weekend for me.

We might get in a playtest of Ross Watson's Wrath & Glory, though - I'll let you know how that turns out.

The Adventure Continues!

Note that I use affiliate links in all my posts as a way to generate additional revenue for my efforts; I make my Picks and other article choices, however, based on the desire to share a wide variety of things with you. Thank you for your support.

Sean Patrick Fannon
Writer & Game Designer: Shaintar, Star Wars, Savage Rifts, much more
Please check out my Patreon and get involved directly with my next projects!

Remove ads

Remove ads