Fantasy Grounds Adds Mongoose Traveller (1E) Support

SmiteWorks announces that Fantasy Grounds will support the first edition of the Traveller role-playing game, published by Mongoose Publishing.

Based on the Classic Traveller rules set, this book has been streamlined for modern roleplaying, and yet still retains that unmistakable Traveller aura. With complete rules for character and world creation, spaceships, encounters and trading, it is your gateway into new universes.

The Traveller Main Rulebook is the cornerstone of all your Traveller games, to be expanded upon with core supplements such as Mercenary and High Guard, or used with different settings like Starship Troopers, Judge Dredd and, of course, the Original Traveller Universe.

Written by Gareth Hanrahan, the Traveller Main Rulebook contains many things fans of the classic game will find familiar, but always with a new twist.

You can get more information, and download the ruleset for Fantasy Grounds, from the Fantasy Grounds website, or on Steam.

I don't mean to be controversial, so if anybody has a reasonable explanation, I'd be happy to hear it. But it seems to me Traveller is one of the most re-released games in the history of RPGs. And yet I never see any re-release prompting a new release of modules. Traveller modules seem both scarce and old. Is there a problem with the license? Is there a trove of new modules available on a pdf store online? The game has been around far longer than there are modules to support it, it seems to me. If I'm wrong, please point me to where the modules are.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't mean to be controversial, so if anybody has a reasonable explanation, I'd be happy to hear it. But it seems to me Traveller is one of the most re-released games in the history of RPGs. And yet I never see any re-release prompting a new release of modules. Traveller modules seem both scarce and old. Is there a problem with the license? Is there a trove of new modules available on a pdf store online? The game has been around far longer than there are modules to support it, it seems to me. If I'm wrong, please point me to where the modules are.
There is a ton of support and releases for both editions of Mongoose Traveller. The main focus of the new edition has been a huge sandbox campaign called Pirates of Drinax, which is entirely original to the new editions, while there are adventures published for several other sectors too.

Go to the Mongoose Publishing website or check out the drivethrrpg site for the same company.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
SmiteWorks announces that Fantasy Grounds will support the first edition of the Traveller role-playing game, published by Mongoose Publishing.

Wow, this is interesting. I have been running a Mongoose 1e game online for 4 years in a forum I have made for it: http://dragonersdomain.com/forum/ and I was a player in a virtual tabletop game for a couple of years before that.

You are right, there are a ton of iterations of Traveller, Mongoose 1e is in many ways true to classic except with personal combat being changed to ablative armor that subtracts from damage, vs armor that subtracts from the to hit number; otherwise the learning curve is very flat between the original and Mongoose 1e.

Modules, there used to be a lot on Drivethru RPG, they may or may not have had to take them down; however, all the Cepheus Engine modules work fine with Mongoose 1e, as they are almost the same rules set. Besides that, and not having to buy the old modules reprinted, Marc W Miller's company sells disks of the old game's modules through his company FFE: http://www.farfuture.net/ and if you go for the 443 deal, you can get four disks of all the GDW, FASA, Judge's Guild, Games Workshop, Articles from The Dragon, and more, ~700 pdf's worth of stuff on the Classic, JTAS, Apocrypha 1 & 2 disks, all which easily convert to Mongoose 1e.

All of Mongoose Traveller's 1st edition supplements, adventures and books are available on drivethrurpg still, as are the second edition stuff too of course.

Thomas Bowman

First Post

I am still waiting for my GURPs Dungeons & Dragons!

aramis erak

Legend
There are a bunch of 3PPs producing materials for Traveller.

Not all of them say "Traveller" - Cepheus Engine is also a Traveller edition, at least according to Marc Miller. (As in, he wanted COTI to support CE as well.)

Any CE products can be run with only very minor mods in MGT 1E or 2E.

It's ironic, tho', that MGT1E support was only added after 2E was released.

Thanks to those who responded. I think the fastest way to what I wanted is entering "Drinax" at DriveThruRPG. This shows me a range of Mongoose adventures I was unfamiliar with including the Reach Adventure and Marches Adventures series. Cheers.

Bluenose

Adventurer
There is a ton of support and releases for both editions of Mongoose Traveller. The main focus of the new edition has been a huge sandbox campaign called Pirates of Drinax, which is entirely original to the new editions, while there are adventures published for several other sectors too.

Go to the Mongoose Publishing website or check out the drivethrrpg site for the same company.

Pirates of Drinax has nine adventures in Book 1 of the campaign set, and there are six more slightly larger ones directly related to it. Some of the other material associated with it contains adventure hooks and patrons too, and it's going to be collected into a book (The Drinaxian Compendium) later this year if they meet the schedule. There are also five Reach Adventures, set in the same sector as PoD; two Marches Adventures in the Spinward Marches sector to coreward; three Great Rift Adventures associated with their new Great Rift boxed set; and Fall of Tinath from the starter set. There's at least one coming as a 'Naval Adventure' with their recent kickstarter for the Element-class cruisers.

Mongoose 1e adventures aren't quite so common unless you look into Signs & Portents magazine, which has quite a lot.

Challenge magazine from the GDW days is a good place to find MegaTraveller adventures, though unfortunately the excellent DGP ones are very hard to get.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases