RPG Crowdfunding News 102: Irongate, Vault of K’Horror, The Eye of the Cyclops, Dragonscales, The Ho

This week we turn the all-seeing eye towards NINE currently running Kickstarter campaigns. So if you're after a new fantasy game, adventures for your existing fantasy campaign, places for your weary adventures to have a drink, expansions for The Last Parsec, Quantum Black or Warsong, some extra large dice for those without the same clarity that the all-seeing eye provides, or some miniatures from the worlds most popular livestreamed campaigns... read on dear traveller...

Irongate: Savage Worlds SciFi Expansion for The Last Parsec by Shane Hensley
(Campaign Ends : Tuesday 17th 2018; 01:00 UTC)

Irongate, for Pinnacle Entertainments The Last Parsec Savage Worlds setting, is the latest in Pinnacle’s “Booster” series of Kickstarters. The “Booster” campaigns raise money to help support some of the settings that might not otherwise see additional material released for them. The way the campaign works is that the core product, in this instance Irongate, will be available through retail stores after the campaign but if you back the campaign you’ll also get a selection of campaign exclusive “Booster” material. Booster material for Irongate includes free Archetypes, Ship Maps, Table Tents, a full length adventure called A Fistful of Ones and Zeroes, and The Jump, a Last Parsec soundtrack.

No guards. No rules.

Irongate is an intergalactic prison planet populated by a melting pot of the worst criminals the galaxy has to offer. Left to their own devices the inmates have created a culture of violence, greed, and profit.

And there is profit to be made on Irongate. Built atop the ruins of a former mining colony, the prison operates its own rellium mine. As long as the prisoners produce ore, JumpCorp supplies the inhabitants with food, medicine, and goods they can’t get on the barren planet themselves.

But something has gone wrong. Lately prisoners are escaping. Can your JumpCorp "CorpSec" team infiltrate one of the planet's most ruthless gangs and discover how they're performing this impossible feat?

Or maybe your crew goes a different direction. Maybe they're guilty as hell and want to find a way off. Or run the place! Your GM can use the Irongate source material however she wants!

Irongate is a post-apocalyptic wasteland and cyberpunk dystopia built on scavenged technology. Parts are an urban nightmare of overcrowded streets where no one is safe and everything is for sale. Criminals are here for life. Some see this as a death sentence, others as licensed anarchy and opportunity!

And Stars help those poor souls sent here by mistake…

Inside you'll find:

• Irongate: The background and story of JumpCorp's most notorious prison world and the system tainted by it.
  • Characters: New Edges, Hindrances, weapons, vehicles, gear, and more!
  • Setting Rules: Rules for Scavenging, Notoriety, "The Twitch," and more!
  • Savage Tales: Adventures and a full-length Plot Point Campaign, Escape Clause!
  • Creatures of Irongate: The prisoners aren't the only life forms on this rock!

Vault of K’Horror A Tunnels & Trolls GM Adventure by Richard Loomis
(Campaign Ends : Friday 6th July 2018; 19:59 UTC)

Vaults of K’Horror is a 40+ page gamemaster adventure for Deluxe Tunnels & Trolls.

West of Khazan along the southern coast lie the blighted lands of the Sketthor-Ka, also known as the Skeleton Men. A thousand years before the rise of Lerotra’hh, the Sketthor-Ka had their own empire, ruled by sorcerer kings who fell into dark practices that turned them into vampire lords. That empire fell when the great wizards of Trollworld banded together to stop the vampiric plague spreading out from the city of K’horror.

But the ancient vampire lords were not completely destroyed. They retreated underground to hidden tombs and vaults, leaving their surviving subjects to exist as best they could in the ruins above. Now the undead threat is rising again.

Adventurers have learned of the ancient tombs and undead sanctuaries. The bravest of them are searching and digging into forgotten crypts and subterranean palaces in search of magic and treasure, unwittingly releasing ancient terrors that had slumbered for a millennium. Enterprising skeleton men like your guide, Slimius, now lead adventurers to the entrances of such tombs, barred from entering themselves, but perfectly willing to share the treasure with those who can face the undead terrors in the Vaults of K’horror. Are you up to the challenge of robbing vampires in their own lairs?

The Eye of the Cyclops from Forge of Ice by Alex Bates
(Campaign Ends : Monday 9th July 2018; 02:39 UTC)

Forge of Ice’s The Eye of the Cyclops is a systemless adventure which also comes with a set of miniatures and terrain relevant to the encounters.

The Eye of the Cyclops is a full encounter set for tabletop Role-Playing Games or miniature wargames. This sourcebook is my first game booklet, detailing the Cult of the Eye, a secretive Cyclops-worshipping cult that menaces the lost city, Azor. This is a 30 page system-neutral booklet, light on rules but heavy on background detail. It comes with a set of four 30mm scale miniatures, a treasure item, and a terrain piece. Stretch goals will expand this set with additional miniatures, accessories, and more!

Dragonscales Fantasy RPG by James M Ward and Stephen A Lee
(Campaign Ends : Tuesday 10th July 2018; 01:14 UTC)

Dragonscales is the new fantasy RPG by James M. Ward (Metamorphosis Alpha, Gamma World, Deities & Denigods, Greyhawk Adventures). Dragonscales is a fantasy campaign realm filled with the normal wizards, vampires, dark creatures, and deadly encounters. In this realm, dragons rule the night skies and terrify the populace of every land. Only the heroes (player characters) are bold enough to face these dragons; fight them, and tack their magical scales to use in further quests.

In the far away astral dimensions there exists a fantasy world filled with many types of dragons and heroes taking advantage of those dragons. Every day wars rage in the sunlight as heroes via for control. Every night dragons take to the skies and hunt for meals and even the boldest of heroes hide from dragon fangs and claws.

The Core book contains six new character types, a new spell system, new spells, Deities of the Chromatic Kingdoms, Magical and Mythical Encounters, Equipment, Powers, and WCS combat system. Everything you need to run a game or a campaign is included in the core book.

The six Character Types you can play are:

• Fang Warrior make magical weapons from their Dragonscales. They are talented blacksmiths and can make special weapons.
  • Dragon Eye Mage make spells out of their Dragonscales. They can cast a number of spells and make potions of all sorts.
  • Forest Caretakers use DragonScales to summon creatures of the forest. They always have a group of tamed wild creatures.
  • Templar Warriors use DragonScales to make holy weapons and cast holy effects to fight undead and the most evil of dragons.
  • Fortune-Hunters have vast skills in opening locked things, in climbing into difficult areas, and in sensing trouble in warrens and caves.
  • Speakers of the Air use DragonScales and the gifts of the gods to create special artifacts that are unusually effective in combat.

Each character type has 10 ranks. At each new rank achieved the character gains a new power or ability. Rank is achieved by completing a number of quest for the new rank.

Explore the great City of Concord which sits astride a natural bridge which spans the great rift canyon. Delve into the dwarven mines in the Rift Canyon, journey into a Dragons Warren in search of magical scales, or quest across the lands of the Chromatic Kingdoms to explore other cultures and find mythical places of legend.

The Host – A cybernetic guide for Warsong by Raymond
(Campaign Ends : Monday 9th July 2018; 03:38 UTC)

The Host is a detailed sourcebook looking at artificial life in the FATE powered Warsong: Second Edition. The book supplied rules for creating and playing artificial life such as Awakened machines, living programs and advanced Synths in the game, new rules, powers and abilities for the machines and also cybernetic implants in humans, new setting information (and revelations) for the machine governed settlement of the City of Kojo, as well as information on the Emperor and the Treaty of Parnassus.

The Host represents a turning point in the setting of Warsong Second Edition and this book will help bring to life an entirely new species of creature within the setting. It will give players a new and valuable outlook of the world from the view of the machines and even give players new revelations directly from The Source itself.

The book will include more detailed information on the Treaty Of Parnassus and what exactly happened when the Emperor and The Source forged peace at the end of a seven year long Machine War. It will also give Game Masters valuable tools to use if they wish to include The Emperor's whereabouts in their own games.

The book is called The Host because, while The Host themselves comprise only a small part of the machine population, they are arguably the most well-known and feared.

SideQuests: Tip-Top Taverns for DND, Pathfinder, and RPGs by Dominic M
(Campaign Ends : Monday 9th July 2018; 00:29 UTC)

Taverns have been quite a popular topic recently, and the latest SideQuests book serves us up twenty different Taverns for our adventurers to spend their coin. Each Tavern features unique barkeeps, patrons, waitresses and staff, menus, drunkards, entertainment, barfights, adventure hooks, and more!

Each Tavern is fully fleshed-out, offering multiple pre-generated options, so when your party is in need of a bar, you will always be prepared. The twenty diverse taverns will feature trendy locales based on different races, intriguing locations, and — of course — the potential for interesting storylines and adventures. The taverns themselves don't adhere to a specific game system, so you can use them with D&D, Pathfinder, 13th Age, or any other tabletop RPG. You can treat the twenty taverns as their own separate chapters, or even simply roll a d20 to decide which Tavern your players have ended up in… The choice is yours!

Quantum Black: Dark Designs by Quantum Black Games
(Campaign Ends : Sunday 8th July 2018; 15:16 UTC)

Dark Designs is the second supplement for the Quantum Black RPG, a cinematic story-driven RPG using Exile Game Studios Ubiquity system (as used in games including Hollow Earth Expeditions and Space: 1889) in which you play an operative of the titular Quantum Black. An agency trying to save the world against a rising tide of unimaginable horrors.

Dark Designs includes:

• World Building! New information about Quantum Black's divisions and facilities, including new secret bases
  • Character Options! Additional character options, featuring an emphasis on characters for the combat-oriented “Spider Teams” who tackle the most dangerous missions. A variety of new Archetypes, Team Roles, Motivations, Talents, and Flaws are presented.
  • Rule Enhancements! New rules to allow characters to start with Default Skills, which are basic Skills anyone can be presumed to be able to use without training.
  • Vile Foes! Four new Organizations for your teams to battle, ranging from the environmentalist Cthulhu-worshiping Church of the Starry Dawn to the nihilistic Unholy Order of the Infinite Hunger. Meanwhile, two new corporations are introduced to confront your characters. Biosafe Technologies, who wish to twist the very DNA of humanity to serve the Elder Gods, and Wynne Intelligent Systems, a dark doppelganger of Quantum Integrated Technologies. This chapter also includes information on their minions, the cosmic horrors that work with these groups, and a new, never seen before anywhere else, Elder God!
  • New Weapons and Gear! New weapons ranging from the Vanquisher shotgun weapon system to the Mjolnir railgun! Plus flamethrowers, flechette weapons, grenade launchers, specialty grenades, net guns, and chemical weapons, such as gases, aerosols, and liquids. What if you’re not that into guns? Well we also have rules for cages, trackers, and ground penetrating radar.
  • Drones and Vehicles! We provide you with expanded rules for using vehicles and drones, including jamming and hijacking drones. And you’ll need those rules, because cultists and companies like Wynne Intelligent Systems use drones to battle Quantum Black teams. We also present new vehicles and a wide variety of new drone models, including aquatic drones. We also include a new rules for designing and building drones for your campaign, and rules for modifying drones on the fly while in the field.

Critical Role by Steamforged Games Ltd
(Campaign Ends : Friday 6th July 2018; 19:00 UTC)

Steamforged Games have produced a number of successful board and miniature games, such as Dark Souls and Guild Ball, through Kickstarter. Now they have teamed up with the crew behind Critical Role to bring us not one, but two sets of miniatures based upon the legendary heroes of the Vox Machina and Mighty Nein campaigns!

The campaign only has a single pledge level, including both sets and several Kickstarter exclusive figures, and is not having any stretch goals.

Critical Role is a weekly livestreamed roleplaying game set in Exandria, which is the world created by veteran voice actor and Dungeon Master, Matthew Mercer. Each week, Matthew leads his friends (also fellow voice actors!) on epic adventures.

The first Critical Role campaign centered on the ragtag group of heroes in Tal'Dorei known as Vox Machina — Pike Trickfoot, the Gnome Cleric, Keyleth, the Half-Elf Druid, Percival “Percy” Fredrickstein Von Musel Klossowski de Rolo, the Human Gunslinger, Grog Strongjaw, the Goliath Barbarian, Scanlan Shorthalt the Gnome Bard, Taryon “Tary” Darrington, the Human Artificer, Vex’ahlia (and her animal companion, a bear named Trinket), the Half-Elf Ranger and Vax’ildan, the Half-Elf Rogue. The first campaign ended in November 2017 after 115 episodes and 373 hours of gameplay.

Critical Role is now in its second campaign, in which the Mighty Nein begin their adventures together in Wildemount. The Mighty Nein consists of Yasha, the Aasimar Barbarian, Beauregard, the Human Monk, Mollymauk Tealeaf, the Tiefling Blood Hunter, Fjord, the Half-Orc Warlock, Nott the Brave, the Goblin Rogue, Jester, the Tiefling Cleric, and Caleb Widogast, the Human Wizard. Shakäste, a human cleric, has proven himself to be a trusted ally of the Mighty Nein.

Easy Read Large Print Dice by Andy “Cosmo-Joe” Watkins
(Campaign Ends : Thursday 12th July 2018; 03:48 UTC)

Studio 6d6 is aiming to bring us not only a set of large print dice, but also a new style of d4 while they are at it. They have not only made the number fit the entire side of the dice but have also made the dice itself 23% larger than usual, plus they are using solid colors to help readability even further.

The new d4 they are creating, is basically a d12 with 1 through 4 appearing three times each. Now I’ve never had an issue with the standard d4 (apart from treading on them in bare feet) but I do know some people who don’t like them, or complain they are difficult to read, who will probably like this new style. Plus the dice collector in me (and I wouldn’t be surprised in many of you too…) will find this a nice novel die to add to the collection.

If you like what we do here at EN World (the Forums, Columns, News, ENnies, etc) and would like to help support us to bring you MORE please consider supporting our Patreon. Even a single dollar helps Thanks!

If you have a forthcoming Kickstarter, or see one that excites you, please feel free to drop me an email on angus.abranson@gmail.com You can follow me on Twitter @ Angus_A or on Facebook where I often post about gaming.

Until next week, have fun and happy gaming!

Angus Abranson

Xavian Starsider

First Post
Critical Role miniatures? They look like nice sculpts and all but it looks like a blatant cash grab to me. I m finding myself a bit offended that D&D miniatures can't just be D&D miniatures, that they have to tie into a twitch/YouTube stream to get attention. Am I overreacting or does supporting this kickstarter send a message to the manufacturers that they should just license and monetize other peoples characters for us to play with? Whats next? A new starter with the Vox Machina characters as pregens? Back in the 1980s surge, were players clamoring to be Hank, Bobby, Presto and Uni?

dave2008

Legend
Critical Role miniatures? They look like nice sculpts and all but it looks like a blatant cash grab to me.

Yes, and there is nothing wrong with that. D&D and RPGs in general are blatant cash grabs.

I m finding myself a bit offended that D&D miniatures can't just be D&D miniatures, that they have to tie into a twitch/YouTube stream to get attention.

There are miniatures that are not tied to twitch/youtube, so it appears you may be too easily offended as what you stated is just not the case.

Am I overreacting or does supporting this kickstarter send a message to the manufacturers that they should just license and monetize other peoples characters for us to play with? Whats next? A new starter with the Vox Machina characters as pregens?

No idea.

Back in the 1980s surge, were players clamoring to be Hank, Bobby, Presto and Uni?
Yes, we just didn't have the internet back then. Personally I had several of the D&D toys (including Tiamat and Warduke) that tied into the show.

Dire Bare

Legend
Critical Role miniatures? They look like nice sculpts and all but it looks like a blatant cash grab to me. I m finding myself a bit offended that D&D miniatures can't just be D&D miniatures, that they have to tie into a twitch/YouTube stream to get attention. Am I overreacting or does supporting this kickstarter send a message to the manufacturers that they should just license and monetize other peoples characters for us to play with? Whats next? A new starter with the Vox Machina characters as pregens? Back in the 1980s surge, were players clamoring to be Hank, Bobby, Presto and Uni?

Offended? Blatant cash grab? Yes, you are overreacting. Jeebus!

Fans of Critical Role might just love to have RPG miniatures of their favorite characters. The minis also work well for PCs and NPCs in any fantasy game, just like all "named" miniatures from the past, of which there have been many (including official minis of Hank, Bobby, Presto, Uni and the gang). And somehow, magically, Steamforged Games producing these Critical Role minis in no way diminishes the supply of "unnamed" minis that exist in the past, present, and future.

And here's the crazy part . . . if you don't like these minis for any reason, you don't have to purchase them! Wild, right?

Xavian Starsider

First Post
settle down. There is no need to patronize me.

I am well aware I don't need to buy them. Trust me, that won't be a problem. I'm just wondering if this is the start of a trend where the Critical Role brand will eclipse the D&D brand. But it's fine. If people like them, they like them. And they are great looking minis. Enjoy them if it's what you want. I was only curious if I am alone in feeling this way and it seems I am.

Last edited by a moderator:

AngusA

First Post
I'm just wondering if this is the start of a trend where the Critical Role brand will eclipse the D&D brand. But it's fine. If people like them, they like them. And they are great looking minis. Enjoy them if it's what you want. I was only curious if I am alone in feeling this way and it seems I am.

I'd certainly argue that many Streamers now have a higher profile than pretty much any RPG designer or writer out there currently. We don't seem to have had as many 'celebrity' designers in the last few years as we did back in the 80's and 90's when designer name recognition certainly seemed to be much higher. We certainly have the Mike Mearls and Monte Cook's, but many of the authors and designers of the games we buy and play go largely unrecognised, much in the same way that scriptwriters often do for film/tv and composers and lyricists do on many records. We recognise the actor, director or singer. With the rise Twitch and other social media, streaming channels and programs we're seeing the 'presenters' becoming the new gaming celebrity, and also bringing in more new blood into the hobby, than the actual creators of the games are managing themselves.

I think the D&D brand is largely safe as the most recognisable RPG-related brand, but I'd certainly say that Critical Role could soon be the second most recgonisable RPG brand around.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I'm just wondering if this is the start of a trend where the Critical Role brand will eclipse the D&D brand.

Lot's of brands eclipse the D&D brand. It's a big name, but not that big. But D&D is still here.

That said - Critical Role is raising D&D's profile right now. In ways that the Hasbro people themselves have been at a loss to do. So this is one of those "rising tide lifts all boats" scenarios - even if most of the viewers of CR think of D&D as "that game they play on Critical Role", it still means that they know what D&D is and have thoughts about it, which can lead to them becoming players down the road.

Alex Bates1

First Post
Thanks for sharing a link to my Eye of the Cyclops KS - I'd be happy to answer any questions about it if there's anything anyone would like to know!

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases