Graph Paper Romance: When D&D Characters Date

Do your D&D games ever contain romantic elements? I’m not talking about stereotypical antics involving trying to hook up with NPC barmaids or seduce a guard as a distraction. Realistic relationships are unlikely to develop that much in a one-shot, or in a style of play which de-emphasizes role play in favor of action. But in longer-running games with ample time for RP, I’m curious how often it actually becomes a plot element.

Do your D&D games ever contain romantic elements? I’m not talking about stereotypical antics involving trying to hook up with NPC barmaids or seduce a guard as a distraction. Realistic relationships are unlikely to develop that much in a one-shot, or in a style of play which de-emphasizes role play in favor of action. But in longer-running games with ample time for RP, I’m curious how often it actually becomes a plot element.

I’ve played in games with real-life couples whose characters were involved with each other from the start. That seems to be fairly common based on what I’ve heard from other people, and it makes sense. Player groups with a mix of genders and orientations may be more likely to introduce intra-party romance. And some players may feel uncomfortable dealing with in-game romance and prefer to avoid it entirely. However, it can add an interesting element to your game if the other player involved also is onboard with the idea.

Ask Before Proceeding
If you want to initiate a romance between your character and another player’s, don’t take it for granted that the other player is into it. You probably can gauge how your target will feel about it when you know that player well enough. If you’re friends, they may be fine with you introducing the notion within the game, and just roll with it.

For example, I am playing in a Curse of Strahd campaign with friends. Naturally, most of our characters are strangers thrown together by mysteriously misty circumstances. A few sessions in, my friend playing a non-binary half-elf sorcerer announced that her character definitely would flirt with my character. She knows me well enough to know it wouldn’t bother me, regardless of whether my character was interested. But my character was very okay with it, so it was that simple for our characters to start up a little romance. There’s little time for a slow burn in Barovia, so we just jumped in. Our DM was entertained enough by this to make us both roll DEX checks for makeout success once (I rolled a 19!), and their relationship became a minor aspect of the overall narrative.

However, some players might be very not-okay with a move like that. Amorous pursuits can be a sensitive subject, so I encourage you always to proceed with caution and respect (in D&D and life in general). Either way, it may be prudent to ask the other player outside the game if they are comfortable with the idea of your character showing interest in theirs. Some DMs also might appreciate you sharing your intentions with them. As a DM, I would love to know when a character in a sandbox game has a crush so I can pick up that thread, but that’s just my own preference.

PC and NPC, Sitting in a Tree
Striking up a romance with an NPC presents its own challenges. It’s one thing to have two PCs get involved, but starting a thing with an NPC potentially translates into one character having long interactions with the DM that could get tedious for other players over time. But if your group enjoys RP-heavy play where each character can have their own interests and side plots, it can be a great source of drama and/or comedy.

In another ongoing campaign with my friends, we all are playing young adults, and most of our characters don’t have much romantic experience, if any. It was fun when one character starting awkwardly flirting with a cute young elf cleric NPC we met. She wanted to ask her out, so the rest of our characters dropped everything else we were doing to help. We kinda derailed the session with what quickly turned into Archie Comics-style teen hijinx, but we had a blast. Making sure they had a successful coffee date instantly became a group project for the party.

Our characters just had been through a bunch of drama and near-death, so it was a perfect way for those kids to blow off some steam and put their energy into a positive project that didn’t involve killing anyone. We tapped the full comedic potential of having a minotaur monk, a goliath barbarian, an aasimar fighter, and a human rogue run around gathering intel about the cleric so our dragonborn paladin could have good small talk over coffee with her. They’re both rather shy and their romance is developing slowly, but it added a fun new dimension...and we got ourselves a friendly cleric who will help our party not die. Win-win!

There are so many ways in-game romance can turn out either well or horribly, for characters and players alike. Do you ever include romantic plots in your D&D campaigns? If so, did it add an enjoyable element to your story, or create any issues?

contributed by Annie Bulloch

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
so we just jumped in. Our DM was entertained enough by this to make us both roll DEX checks for makeout success once (I rolled a 19!), and their relationship became a minor aspect of the overall narrative.
Does that mean there was a chance for critical fails? In making out? Were braces involved?

Romance is an ageless plot device. It would be weird not to include it...unless your players are all murderhobos. That, and it's weird for some non-actors to role-play romance. But I think you can abstract it enough, players willing, to keep even the most sensitive (yet tough. AND manly.) players comfortable in their seats.

andrewlichey

Explorer
We had one in a HotDQ campaign... not part of the story plot, but rather something that organically came up. An unlikely pair, a neutral good paladin, and a chaotic neutral wizard, separated and in a stressful position, explored being "friends with benefits". Over time that matured and they were pretty close, on more than one occasion sacrificing to help the other. In the end, though they never fully committed and split apart at the campaign's close. In a way, it was one of those implicit relationships, rather than explicit ones. They never really talked about it, but showed it through their actions. Not formalizing it though made it easier for it to slip through their fingers.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I've rarely had long term romantic relationships (either PC/PC or PC/NPC) when running. When playing is a different matter. Though really the split might have been: playing when we'd do 8-12 hour sessions as teenagers/20s who were only sporadically dating vs. 3.5 hours every other week after work for a bunch of married old farts with kids.

Heck, one super setting I played in (multiple campaigns in the same setting) was half superheros and half soap-opera in terms of interpersonal relationships. Lots of romance happening. Both working and failing spectacularly.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It would be weird not to include it...unless your players are all murderhobos.

There are other cases. In my 5e game, two of the players are 14 year old girls, and I am a grown man. I am *NOT* going to do romance plots with them. Period.

I could be similarly awkward if your game is in, say, your work environment.

Annie Bulloch

First Post
Does that mean there was a chance for critical fails? In making out?

No braces were involved, so I don't know what would have happened in case of a critical fail. Maybe somebody's magic malfunctions, or somebody accidentally falls on a sword! Probably something nonfatal yet embarrassing.

Two of the characters in my game are married (in real life). Two other characters are married (in game) to NPCs. We even got a dramatic challenge / duel in which the best man had to defend the would be happy couple at the wedding. Successfully. It's a sand box game in which the PCs have made friends (obviously) and enemies.

Annie Bulloch

First Post
There are other cases. In my 5e game, two of the players are 14 year old girls, and I am a grown man. I am *NOT* going to do romance plots with them. Period.

I could be similarly awkward if your game is in, say, your work environment.

Yeah, absolutely. I hoped it would go without saying, but: don't be inappropriate. Don't be a creep. Again, this is a rule for D&D and also real life.

the Jester

Legend
I run a game that has several instances of pcs married, both to other pcs and to npcs. Romance has been a plot point multiple times.

I run a fairly hardcore sandbox campaign, with an emphasis on the passage of time and downtime. Since 5e launched, around 6 years of game time have passed. I also run multiple groups with lots of players, and most players end up with a 'stable' of different pcs in the milieu. I've created a set of rules for finding romance (with an npc) as a downtime activity; the DMG carousing downtime activity also has romance as a potential result. So in my game, we've ended up with at least the following relationships:

• A pc ranger (who died) had an npc girlfriend who he met in play (his group spent tons of time in a brewery);
  • A pair of pcs who had a drunken one-night stand ended up getting married after the man (a monk) was ennobled and then pressed to produce an heir;
  • A pc tabaxi spent around six months of downtime traveling to a tabaxi enclave to find and woo a suitable mate and has had kids;
  • Said tabaxi's sister also had some romance, but an unsuccessful one;
  • Another pc noble got married to an orcish princess for political reasons;
  • A pc gnome got caught up in romance via the aforementioned carousing downtime, and the romance has stuck.

I may be forgetting some others.

I'm also a huge fan of multi-generation campaigning; several of those have produced kids, who are eventual future pc options for the players.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
It's a near-constant sub-theme: within our games it's nigh-guaranteed that some PCs at any given time will be doing some or all of: chase, pair off, separate, quarrel, flirt, romantically cheat on each other, get married, sleep around, get jealous, etc.; in no particular order.

Most often it's with other PCs but NPCs get involved too; and osmetimes party NPCs get involved with each other as well.

For my own part, two of my major PCs got married* to people they met during their adventuring careers - one to another PC, one to a party NPC originally hired as a hench - and still remain so. Another has sworn off any and all romantic involvements because background and history (and possible personal-story ideas later). Another will sleep with just about anybody human, elf, or part-elf just for the fun of it. Another mostly sees flirtation and even sex as just one more tool of the spy trade. And so on...

* - though the whole "till death do us part" thing had to be amended, as since their marriages both PCs and both spouses have each died and been revived at least once!

So yeah, I think the game is immensely better with PC romance etc. in it; to the point that were such things banned in a game (and I recall at least one ENWorld poster that had this restriction, though I forget who it was) I'd call a deal-breaker and find another game.

Lanefan

Remove ads

Remove ads