Dragon Reflections #4: Talking Tekumel

The Dragon Issue 4 was published in December 1976. It is 36 pages long, with a cover price of $1.50. This issue focused on a new game that was coming out from TSR: The Empire of the Petal Throne.

The Dragon Issue 4 was published in December 1976. It is 36 pages long, with a cover price of $1.50. This issue focused on a new game that was coming out from TSR: The Empire of the Petal Throne.

d4.jpg

This issue is mostly devoted to Empire of the Petal Throne, a new roleplaying game from TSR. EPT (as it was known) was published in 1975, making it the third RPG that TSR had released within two years (the first two being Dungeons & Dragons and Boot Hill). EPT was based on the richly detailed world of Tékumel, created by M.A.R. Barker, a professor of Urdu and South Asian studies at the University of Minnesota and an avid wargamer. Dave Arneson, the co-creator of D&D, was a member of Barker's gaming group at UMN and had introduced him to TSR.

Editor Tim Kask is full of praise for TSR's new game, describing it as "the most detailed fantasy game available; a genuine phenomenon. It is destined to become both a classic and a milestone in fantasy role-playing gaming, and deservedly so." He also notes the "inevitable" comparison between Barker's Tékumel and Tolkien's Middle-earth. Kask judges that "In terms of development of detail, I think EPT has it over Middle Earth in the matters that most concern gamers. This is attributable to the fact that EPT was developed by a wargamer, and M-E was not."

The EPT articles cover setting news and lore, a city encounter table, new monsters, a short story set in Tékumel, a treasure table, and a pictorial spread depicting a model temple. There is so much content, in fact, that the magazine had to expand to 36 pages for this issue.

But it was seemingly all for naught as EPT failed to find a market. At $25 (over $100 today), it was much more expensive than any comparable game. TSR did not follow it up with supplements and eventually sold the license off to Gamescience in 1980. Four more RPGs set in Tékumel would be published by various companies over the following years, none of them achieving much commercial success. Tékumel retains a cult following to this day, however, with many fan-made websites, podcasts, and even a journal devoted to the setting. Barker (who has passed away) is sometimes called "the forgotten Tolkien," and is deeply revered by his fans.

Back to The Dragon. There are two other articles of interest in this issue. In "Notes on the Androids on The Starship Warden," designer James M. Ward introduces readers to an RPG called Metamorphosis Alpha, which TSR had published the previous month, and which may rightly claim to be the first science fiction RPG. Jim Ward was an English and History teacher who met Gary Gygax at a bookshop, and soon after became a regular player in Gygax's Greyhawk campaign. Ward joined TSR full-time in 1980 and worked on numerous projects as he rose to become TSR's VP for Creative Services--he is a genuine star of the hobby.

The other article of note is the sole offering from Gygax in this issue, a list of books entitled "FANTASY/SWORDS & SORCERY: RECOMMENDED READING." This collection is a clear prototype of the famous "Appendix N" that Gygax would include in the forthcoming Dungeon Master's Guide.

In many ways, this was a more successful issue than the previous two, as it provided the pages of quality gaming material that readers were craving. But the content was for the wrong game! Readers wanted articles about D&D, not EPT. The next issue would also be light on D&D material, although it would include one notorious article about a very famous wizard…

M.T. Black is a game designer and DMs Guild Adept. Please follow him on twitter @mtblack2567 and sign up for his mailing list.

M.T. Black

M.T. Black

I thought this issue had material for the right game myself :) A lot of EPT systems were adaptable to D&D as well. The skill system from EPT, critical hits (on a 20), multiple attacks / damage dice by level (a matrix of level vs. level / HD), Clerics using mundane armor and (blunt) weapons (not just magical armor and blunt weapons) all migrated from EPT to our D&D games. A lot of material could be directly ported over.

EPT was expensive (me and my brother pooled our money to buy it). At a time when the D&D boxed set was $10 and the first two supplements (Greyhawk and Blackmoor) were $5 each, 25$ was a lot of money. And worth every penny of it :) More than money, I think the alien nature of Tekumel drove players away. Medieval fantasy was more familiar.

Last edited by a moderator:

I thought this issue had material for the right game myself :)

Yes - and many agree down to this day! I'm not sure why TSR didn't promote the game more effectivley. I've heard that their arrangement with Barker meant it was not very profitable for them, so it really needed to sell in huge numbers to make it worthwhile. But I don't have any primary sources on that.

My brother had the EPT boxed set. At the time, I will agree that yes, the alien nature of the game for me was a tough sell. I seem to recall asking why I couldn’t just play a dwarf. These days, I’d love to revisit it. But my brother lost or sold off his copy of the boxed set!

As far as that reading list, there are two listings that are not explicitly in Appendix N:

Algernon Blackwood
Merritt’s Face in the Abyss

Doing some research on Blackwood, like many others on this list, he was a mainstay of the pulps. His stories “The Wendigo” and “The Willows” seem to be cited fairly frequently. I am unfortunately unfamiliar with the author, though it looks like he was an influence on both Tolkien and Lovecraft.

Edited to Add:

For those like me not familiar with Algernon Blackwood, both of those above-listed stories are available free of charge for the Kindle on Amazon.

More than money, I think the alien nature of Tekumel drove players away. Medieval fantasy was more familiar.

Last edited by a moderator:

My brother had the EPT boxed set. At the time, I will agree that yes, the alien nature of the game for me was a tough sell. I seem to recall asking why I couldn’t just play a dwarf. These days, I’d love to revisit it. But my brother lost or sold off his copy of the boxed set!

I ended up with bachelors degrees in history and cultural anthropology. My brother jokes that D&D and EPT shaped my college :) Not entirely, but definitely an influence. The book and maps are available again, in PDF, softback and hardback from the Tekumel Foundation / DTRPG. I picked up the PDF / hardback. My original book is (barely) hanging in there. I have the Different Worlds printing of the original and pretty much every other Tekumel related product produced over the years.

As far as that reading list, there are two listings that are not explicitly in Appendix N:

Algernon Blackwood
Merritt’s Face in the Abyss

Doing some research on Blackwood, like many others on this list, he was a mainstay of the pulps. His stories “The Wendigo” and “The Willows” seem to be cited fairly frequently. I am unfortunately unfamiliar with the author, though it looks like he was an influence on both Tolkien and Lovecraft.

Edited to Add:

For those like me not familiar with Algernon Blackwood, both of those above-listed stories are available free of charge for the Kindle on Amazon.

I had (and have) most of that reading list, but not Blackwood. I'll have to borrow the wife's Kindle (or dl the computer app) and check them out. Thanks!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads