Dragon Reflections #6: A Star (Trek) is Born

The Dragon Issue 6 was published in April 1977. It is 32 pages long, with a cover price of $1.50. In this column we see an influential science fiction game designer make his debut.

The Dragon Issue 6 was published in April 1977. It is 32 pages long, with a cover price of $1.50. In this column we see an influential science fiction game designer make his debut.

d6.jpg

attachment.php

Editor Tim Kask notes, with pride, that this is the sixth issue of the magazine and that readership has increased fourfold over the first year of operations. He repeats his desire, expressed in the last issue, to cover more games, saying "The next year will see more attention to the rest of our field, without giving up any of what we’ve provided in the past."

In keeping with this intent, issue #6 covers three games, Metamorphosis Alpha, Empire of the Petal Throne, and Dungeons & Dragons. All of these were TSR properties, of course, but Kask notes that "the last year has seen a number of other good fantasy games come on the market" and promises to give them reasonable coverage.

There are four D&D articles included. "Sea Trade in D&D Campaigns" provides a simple mechanic for determining the profitability of merchant cargo, based on the assumption that the further you sail, the more valuable the cargo becomes. "Determination of Psionic Abilities" gives a new method for dealing with psionic potential, which was previously covered in the D&D book, Eldritch Wizardry. "Morale in D&D" contains a system for handling player character morale. It's a little cumbersome and interferes unduly with player agency. The final D&D article describes a new monster, the Death Angel.

It's notable how tightly written all of these articles are, with most of them contained to a page. It reminded me of the concise little rules options that were the hallmark of issue #1. Having said that, none of this material is especially memorable or usable, aside from the Death Angel. The creator of this creature, John Sullivan, seems to have written for many RPG fanzines around at the time (such as Interplay). He may also have contributed to the Red Dwarf RPG many years later (though I can't confirm that).

There are two stories in this issue. "Gnome Cache" grinds on with another chapter, but Gygax will abandon it soon. "The Forest of Flame" is an illustrated story by "Morno", a pseudonym used by artist Brad Schenck, whose work appeared in many RPG products at this time.

By far the most interesting article in this issue is "Clone Bank Alpha" by Guy W. McLimore, Jr., which presents a Metamorphosis Alpha variation in which you begin life as a ship-created clone rather than a barbarian from a shipboard tribe. The design is elegant, and the color text is fun and evocative.

This was McLimore's RPG publishing debut, and he was destined to make a big impression on the industry. After a couple of years spent working for Metagaming Concepts (publishers of Ogre), he formed Fantasimulations Association, who were then contracted by FASA to produce the highly innovative and successful Star Trek RPG. McLimore created a slew of supplements for the product as well as a sequel, and also co-authored the Doctor Who Roleplaying Game. He later founded Microtactix Games, whose products are still available on RPG.NET.
attachment.php

I enjoyed this issue, though I wish the D&D content was a little stronger. The next issue would see Gary Gygax start an argument that would divide gaming fans for the next forty years...

This article was contributed by M.T. Black as part of ENWorld's User-Generated Content (UGC) program. M.T. Black is a game designer and DMs Guild Adept. Please follow him on Twitter @mtblack2567 and sign up to his mailing list. We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

M.T. Black

M.T. Black

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
I love these and have followed the Dragon editorials etc on Twitter. Interesting stuff.

However, can I make a slight suggestion?... (I will anyway). Rather than go in order, I would mix these up, so people who have favourites etc are not waiting for ever.

Or maybe a companion piece, that I would be very interested in contributing/doing... "Favourite Dragon Magazine" articles feature. Where a single article is spoken about and then a 5E conversion is done for the rules. As long as you don't reproduce the fluff, you would be aloud to do updated rules for most articles, right? (Barring those with IP like mind flayers, etc).

Anyway, I still grab Dragon magazines off my shelf for inspiration. I love that someone is doing articles on them... just it looks like a long wait before favourites are coming up ;)

AriochQ

Adventurer
I am loving this series. I don't mind going in order. It shows the development of the magazine over time. I didn't start reading until #48 and only got back issues to #45, so all the early ones are brand new for me!

Thanks so much, folks! I'm glad you are enjoying them.

At this stage I'm planning to work through them in order, as it also mirrors the history of the industry and shows how things have progressed. I also often refer to things that have happened recently in the magazine to provide context to the current issue (for example, the policy shift around fiction).

However, I'll give some thought as to a possible highlight special. What *is* your favourite issue Connor?

I liked the cover for this issue. The best article was the Clone Bank Alpha one for MA. I used it myself and it took care of the issue of player knowledge rather well. The painting guide for EPT figures was another article I used. The article on trade was interesting as well. And the adds, yes, the adds. There were a lot of miniatures coming out for fantasy games and the official D&D line of miniatures too. It helped us when ordering from our FLGS. Good times. I appreciate the articles and I'm fine with them in order! I'm looking back through these old issues and finding little nuggets that are still useful :)

Elf_flambe

Explorer
I am loving this series. I don't mind going in order. It shows the development of the magazine over time. I didn't start reading until #48 and only got back issues to #45, so all the early ones are brand new for me!

I'll second continuing to cover the issues in order. It provides a context for the development of the magazine, TSR as a company, and D&D and the roleplaying industry as a whole. While I started playing D&D in the mid-to-late 70s, my group was isolated in a small town, pretty much in a vacuum, away from what was happening in the larger gaming community. So watching it develop through the publication of The Dragon fills in a lot of blanks. Needless to say, I'm enjoying this series very much!

Arilyn

Hero
Yes, I have been thoroughly enjoying your articles. I like them going in order too. Really interesting to see them in order. Thanks!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads