Gale Force Nine Sign Master License for Dune ‘Games’; Modiphius Designing RPG!

Gale Force Nine have announced they have entered a multi-year deal to act as master Licensee for ‘Games’ for Frank Herbert’s Epic “Dune” Series. The deal will see Gale Force Nine publish a range of games based upon the property, as well as sub-license the rights to partner companies. The first of these has been assigned to Modiphius Entertainment for the Dune Roleplaying Game.

Gale Force Nine have announced they have entered a multi-year deal to act as master Licensee for ‘Games’ for Frank Herbert’s Epic “Dune” Series. The deal will see Gale Force Nine publish a range of games based upon the property, as well as sub-license the rights to partner companies. The first of these has been assigned to Modiphius Entertainment for the Dune Roleplaying Game.

Unknown.jpg

(Cover of the Last Unicorn/WotC Dune RPG; 2000)​

The license agreement, with Legendary Entertainment and Herbert Properties LLC, allows Gale Force Nine to produce tabletop games covering the length and breadth of the Dune franchise, including the novels of Frank Herbert, Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson, as well as the upcoming Dune movie directed by Denis Villeneuve.

The agreement allows GF9 to work with other game companies on various projects, across a number of categories. The first of these to be announced is with Modiphius Entertainment, who have a track record of working with licensed properties such as Star Trek, John Carter of Mars, Fallout and Kung Fu Panda. Modiphius will be developing a new Dune tabletop RPG, slated for release in late 2019. This will be the first time Dune has appeared as an RPG since the Last Unicorn/Wizards of the Coast edition which appeared as a limited edition run in 2000.

The full range of tabletop games, including board and miniature games, are slated to hit the market just prior to Legendary’s theatrical release of Villeneuve’s Dune in 2020.

Dune is other example of a sci-fi setting getting old badly. The new generations miss a lot of normal things in our current days but not shown in the old sci-fi works. This is the reason some sci-fi writers would ratner write about fantasy now.

"Dune" has some interesting ideas for a RPG but we should break the canon to create a mash-up+reboot.

ConflictZ

First Post
It's hard to imagine it has taken this long for someone to pick up this awesome IP but I'm glad they did. Also love that Modiphius got the nod for the RPG. They have really been putting out some excellent games and the quality is top notch.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I read up to Chapter House, the whole thing about the Honored Matres controlling people through sex was meh, so I stopped there. I take it that it will probably cover the initial setting just from the book Dune, because later books aren't so game-able, imo.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads