Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Dragonmarks

There, is a text error in the pdf, with the description of the mark of scribing overwriting part of the description of the Mark of the Sentinel.

The Mark of Making looks far more useful to adventurers than the others: 2 wizard cantrips and can make a temporary magic weapon -very useful at low level when magic weapons might be unavailable.

The Healing and Detection Greater Dragonmarks look useful though.

Last edited by a moderator:

[FONT=&amp]This month's Unearthed Arcana, by Keith Baker, Ruty Rutenberg, and Ben Petrisor, features Dragonmarks! "This month, we explore how to make a character who bears a dragonmark, a mystic sigil that appears on the skin. The mark is a source of magical power and enhances the bearer’s ability to perform certain tasks. In the world of Eberron, each mark is tied to specific bloodlines. The families that carry these marks joined together to form the Dragonmarked Houses, powerful forces that dominate different industries. Even though these marks are associated with Eberron, you could explore using them in other worlds as well."[/FONT]

Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 12.10.08.png

It's an 8-page PDF. "A dragonmark is a mystic sigil that appears on the skin. The mark is a source of mystical power and enhances the bearer’s ability to perform certain tasks. In Eberron, each mark is tied to specific bloodlines." WotC notes that this material is also in Wayfarer's Guide to Eberron, available as a PDF over on DMs Guild.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 12.10.08.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 12.10.08.png
    545.6 KB · Views: 23,109

Reynard

Legend
It seems strange that they are reprinting material from the Wayfarers Guide as UA content. I assume it is mostly a marketing ploy. Since I bought the WG on day 1 I would have preferred a playtest artificer or something else new.

Tallifer

Hero
I understand that canonically in 3.5E, Dragonmarks were tied to races, but I would prefer them open to everyone. I suppose that a player can simply build a character using these races and subraces, and then just refluff the appearance and culture.

The Big BZ

Explorer
It seems strange that they are reprinting material from the Wayfarers Guide as UA content. I assume it is mostly a marketing ploy. Since I bought the WG on day 1 I would have preferred a playtest artificer or something else new.
It's not really strange at all to be honest, UA is their playtest vehicle and they need to playtest Dragon Marks. I bought WGtE and I'm guessing you did too but loads of people did not so here they are giving away the material for free to get a bigger sample size etc.

machineelf

Explorer
I understand that canonically in 3.5E, Dragonmarks were tied to races, but I would prefer them open to everyone. I suppose that a player can simply build a character using these races and subraces, and then just refluff the appearance and culture.

Ew. You do what you want in your game, but that's not for me. One of the game mechanic reasons for limiting dragonmarks to some of the core, basic races is to encourage players to play those races. It gives greater balance, and you less often have a group composed completely of unusual and "weird" races constantly drawing attention to themselves. That makes it harder for the group, if the DM is consistent with how the world works.

I let my players play whatever they want, but the dragonmarks limited to core races means I more often have a balanced group that makes more sense in the world.

Plus it makes those core races a bit more interesting. If you opened dragonmarks to all races, everyone in the group would have one, and the group would actually be less diverse, and hence less interesting, in my opinion.

MarkB

Legend
As someone who's preparing to run an Eberron campaign, I'm glad to see this article, as it means I can make this information easily available to my players without them having to purchase the Wayfinders Guide. Between that and the already published Races article, most of the essential player-facing material is now freely available.

It will be so they can do the survey.

Reynard

Legend
It's not really strange at all to be honest, UA is their playtest vehicle and they need to playtest Dragon Marks. I bought WGtE and I'm guessing you did too but loads of people did not so here they are giving away the material for free to get a bigger sample size etc.

That's certainly possible. And if it leads to a better Wayfarer's Guide final version, it's okay by me. I just was hoping to see the last core element* of Eberron (the artificer) get a beta release sooner rather than later.

* Yeas, psionics are also arguably a core element to the setting, but since it can be pretty easily emulated with the existing magic system, I think it is a lower priority.

Oh the Aberrant Dragonmark:

1) this makes dragonmarks available to all races. lore consistent?

2) It says "you can increase the power of your aberrant dragonmark spells" plural. However, you only get one spell (and a cantrip, which can't benefit). Is there an unlisted "Greater Aberrant Dragonmark" feat that grants additional spells?

3) It doesn't say the spell fails if you are reduced to zero hp. Wait till you are down to 1hp, then let rip with a level 9 suicide Thunderwave? For added cheese, combine with Relentless Endurance.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases