RPG Jobs Roundup: Tor.com, Harebrained Schemes, and Wizards of the Coast

To make our dreams come true, sometimes the dream must be open to interpretation. Do you want a job in tabletop gaming? Is the “tabletop” portion an absolute? There are good jobs that are important parts of the gaming industry but are not directly tabletop gaming jobs. In this RPG jobs roundup, Mike Tresca and I curated several opportunities that exist in the periphery of the traditional tabletop gaming industry. All of that said, be aware that these job openings may close without warning. They will be filled; the only question is will it be by you?

Tor.com

• Type of employment: Freelance blogger
  • Assignment: 700 to 2,500 word fantasy blog posts on Tor.com
  • Rate of pay: Not specified but it is payment per article
  • Deadline: Not disclosed
The reason to covet this opportunity, beyond the pay, is less about said monetary compensation and more about using this position as a stepping stone to become a professionally published author. Tor has published the likes of Kevin J. Anderson, Philip K. Dick, Robert Jordan, V. E. Schwab, Skyler White, and so many more fantasy and sci-fi authors who have influenced the settings of a variety of RPGs. Freelancing for Tor.com will get your work seen by the editors there and may open a door. Even if your goal is not to write for Tor, being on their site will increase your profile and fanbase. For any writer, this is a real opportunity. Details about what types of pitches they’re requesting can be read here.

Harebrained Schemes

• Type of employment: Fulltime lead engineer
  • Assignment: “Lead the tech direction for a new HBS project”
  • Rate of pay: Not disclosed
  • Note: On-site position based in Kirkland, Washington
Why cover this Harebrained Schemes tech job? They’re a video game company, so I’m not stretching the use of “tabletop”, instead I’m omitting it completely. In that you’re right, so you’ll have to judge how much this offer fulfills the quest to work in gaming. In HBS’ favor, their catalogue of video games includes two Shadowrun titles as well as Battletech, the tabletop wargame. While it’s not a pure tabletop gaming company, HBS is seeking a lead engineer for a new project. The “new HBS project” portion of the posting is intentionally vague to protect the company’s unannounced IP. As the lead engineer on that project, your job will be executing the vision of the creators, designers, and writers. You’ll be paid, and your efforts will be enjoyed by gamers around the world. If you have the skills and interest in this job offer, as well as other opportunities with HBS, check out their posting here to learn more.

Wizards of the Coast

• Type of employment: Fulltime senior software developer
  • Assignment: Build and maintain scalable cloud services
  • Rate of pay: Not disclosed
  • Note: On-site position based in Renton, Washington
Wizards of the Coast, Hasbro’s home for Magic: The Gathering as well as Dungeons & Dragons is hiring for a number of positions. This posting will put you on WotC’s Magic: The Gathering Arena team, dedicated to the software side of the business. They’re looking for a developer to ensure their cloud services continue to answer the constant stream of online MtG players. As with HBS’ offer, this job is in Washington which adds another layer of consideration. If you’re interested in more information about this position, or a sample of what the job’s benefits package looks like, check out the details here. Editor's note: Please contact Tiffany Keum directly to apply at tiffany.keum@verticalmove.com. She works with the Hiring Manager and the Director of Engineering on this role can ensure your resume gets to the right place.

Does RPG journalism call to you? Would you like to write about tabletop RPGs for ENWorld? Check out EN World’s Columnist program and let us hear from you. The rate is “$0.04c per word” for 600-word articles.

This article was contributed by Egg Embry as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. Do you have a tabletop RPG related job you’d like to share? Contact Egg Embry here to share the details.

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

There's been an update for the prior job roundup (in the comments). Bloat Games has updated the details of the Tales from Vigilante City Vol. I anthology submissions in a press release here. The highlights are:

+ Reduced minimum word count.
+ Submissions deadline announced.
+ Tales From Vigilante City Vol. II announced.
+ Some details about the post-submissions process

Thanks,

Egg Embry, Wanna-lancer
If you're a publisher that would like to share an RPG-related job opportunity, please contact me here.

There's been an update for the prior job roundup (in the comments). Bloat Games has updated the details of the Tales from Vigilante City Vol. I anthology submissions in a press release here. The highlights are:

+ Reduced minimum word count.
+ Submissions deadline announced.
+ Tales From Vigilante City Vol. II announced.
+ Some details about the post-submissions process

Thanks,

Egg Embry, Wanna-lancer
If you're a publisher that would like to share an RPG-related job opportunity, please contact me here.

Sounds interesting. And plenty of time before the deadline.

Sounds interesting. And plenty of time before the deadline.

That's my thought!

Egg on October 31st, 2018: "I should get started on that submission!"

:p

Thanks,

Egg Embry, Wanna-lancer

Edit: I had hidden "
Egg on October 31st, 2018:" (used "<>" because I am not that smart). Removed "<>".

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases