Ravnica: Broken Pact Gives Us New Ravnica Info

I just finished watching Episode 1: Enemy of the Guildpact in the Ravnica: Broken Pact series. It is the first episode of a planned 10-part series with plans to continue the story if the show is popular enough. The third episode will be broadcast live from TwitchCon.

Each episode is followed up by a Q&A and discussion called Talk Pact that included all the players and the DM this time but will probably not include all members in future episodes of the Q&A portion.

The characters are starting at level 3 and are:

-Astorok, a minotaur fighter (champion) of the Boros Legion
-Velma Sweet, a half-elf bard (college of whispers) for the Orzhov Syndicate
-Lucian Ladrian, a human cleric (Order domain) law mage for the Azorius Senate
-Tutturu, a loxodon cleric (Life domain) of the Selesnya Conclave

During the session they did try and explain both some D&D terms for people who might not be familiar with the game and Magic and Ravnica terms/concepts for folks who aren’t familiar with the game or setting. The DM said that famous MtG characters will appear in the show.

A few pieces of information came out of the session and the Q&A afterwards that might be new:

-Instead of copper, silver and gold, in Ravnica, they use zibs, silver and zenos. Zibs are equal to copper pieces. Zenos are equal to gold pieces. Silver is 4 to a zeno (instead of 10 to a gold). There are also 10 zeno platinum pieces. Different guilds might also create their own coins but not all of them.
-There are no dwarves or tieflings on Ravnica. Vampires are not a player race option in the book.
-Interplanar travel is not something most people know about.
-The Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica has enough information to get non-Magic players into the setting.
-Gods and patrons have to be handled slightly different in Ravnica.
-There are no rules in the book about planeswalking.
-There are no references in the book to the Guilds’ colors. The players said that their choice of all White-aligned guilds was not on purpose.
-There are stats in the book for plenty of famous characters.
-The book doesn’t mention any spells not being allowed.
-The book goes over how you can make a party of all one guild work or a party made up of different guild members.
-There are map resources in the book. There is a map of the 10th district and the precincts within the district.

Since it was the first episode it consisted mostly of character introductions and the establishment of a mystery to solve.

[sblock=Episode 1 Recap]
The episode begins in a vernadi within Vitu Ghazi (Selesnya). A vernadi is a small commune built around a central tree and led by a dryad leader called a voda (sp.?). Tutturu, the loxodon cleric, goes to visit her dryad mentor Mookie and discovers the dryad dead. The dryad’s eyes have been burned out and its head incinerated from the inside. Tutturu alerts her conclave and decides to visit her friend Lucian, an investigator for the Azorius to see if he can help discover what happened.

Lucien is a first year investigator working in New Prahv. After Tutturu describes what she saw, Lucien says that it sounds like the “Conflagration” a type of murder that used to be committed. There was a series of murders called the Embermind Murders that a man was eventually arrested and executed for. Lucien recommends they visit his friend Velma who has an interest in secrets and unusual murders.

Tutturu and Lucien visit the “Generous Stray”, the club owned by Velma. The club is located along the Transguild Promenade and is opened 24hrs and appeals to many different classes of people. Velma operates the club and also handles debt collection for the Orzhov. Astorok is a beat cop for the Boros Legion and a part-time bouncer at the club.

The four of them discuss the situation and Astorok mentions that a similar case recently occurred and seemed to him to not been handled correctly by the Boros. Could the Boros be trying to cover it up? They decide to travel as quickly as possible to see the body of the murdered dryad and attempt to discover any new information.

The dryad’s body is on display as part of the funeral ceremony and the party works together to distract the guards so that Lucian can investigate the body. He takes a sample from the inside the dryad’s exposed head to examine later.

The DM mentions later that the party avoided the combat encounter(s) he had planned. [/sblock]

maceo

Explorer
I just finished watching Episode 1: Enemy of the Guildpact in the Ravnica: Broken Pact series. It is the first episode of a planned 10-part series with plans to continue the story if the show is popular enough. The third episode will be broadcast live from TwitchCon. A Q&A also revealed more Ravnica information.

brokenpact.jpg

Each episode is followed up by a Q&A and discussion called Talk Pact that included all the players and the DM this time but will probably not include all members in future episodes of the Q&A portion.

The characters are starting at level 3 and are:

• Astorok, a minotaur fighter (champion) of the Boros Legion
  • Velma Sweet, a half-elf bard (college of whispers) for the Orzhov Syndicate
  • Lucian Ladrian, a human cleric (Order domain) law mage for the Azorius Senate
  • Tutturu, a loxodon cleric (Life domain) of the Selesnya Conclave

During the session they did try and explain both some D&D terms for people who might not be familiar with the game and Magic and Ravnica terms/concepts for folks who aren’t familiar with the game or setting. The DM said that famous MtG characters will appear in the show.

A few pieces of information came out of the session and the Q&A afterwards that might be new:

• Instead of copper, silver and gold, in Ravnica, they use zibs, silver and zenos. Zibs are equal to copper pieces. Zenos are equal to gold pieces. Silver is 4 to a zeno (instead of 10 to a gold). There are also 10 zeno platinum pieces. Different guilds might also create their own coins but not all of them.
  • There are no dwarves or tieflings on Ravnica. Vampires are not a player race option in the book.
  • Interplanar travel is not something most people know about.
  • The Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica has enough information to get non-Magic players into the setting.
  • Gods and patrons have to be handled slightly different in Ravnica.
  • There are no rules in the book about planeswalking.
  • There are no references in the book to the Guilds’ colors. The players said that their choice of all White-aligned guilds was not on purpose.
  • There are stats in the book for plenty of famous characters.
  • The book doesn’t mention any spells not being allowed.
  • The book goes over how you can make a party of all one guild work or a party made up of different guild members.
  • There are map resources in the book. There is a map of the 10th district and the precincts within the district.

Since it was the first episode it consisted mostly of character introductions and the establishment of a mystery to solve.

Episode 1 Recap

The episode begins in a vernadi within Vitu Ghazi (Selesnya). A vernadi is a small commune built around a central tree and led by a dryad leader called a voda (sp.?). Tutturu, the loxodon cleric, goes to visit her dryad mentor Mookie and discovers the dryad dead. The dryad’s eyes have been burned out and its head incinerated from the inside. Tutturu alerts her conclave and decides to visit her friend Lucian, an investigator for the Azorius to see if he can help discover what happened.

Lucien is a first year investigator working in New Prahv. After Tutturu describes what she saw, Lucien says that it sounds like the “Conflagration” a type of murder that used to be committed. There was a series of murders called the Embermind Murders that a man was eventually arrested and executed for. Lucien recommends they visit his friend Velma who has an interest in secrets and unusual murders.

Tutturu and Lucien visit the “Generous Stray”, the club owned by Velma. The club is located along the Transguild Promenade and is opened 24hrs and appeals to many different classes of people. Velma operates the club and also handles debt collection for the Orzhov. Astorok is a beat cop for the Boros Legion and a part-time bouncer at the club.

The four of them discuss the situation and Astorok mentions that a similar case recently occurred and seemed to him to not been handled correctly by the Boros. Could the Boros be trying to cover it up? They decide to travel as quickly as possible to see the body of the murdered dryad and attempt to discover any new information.

The dryad’s body is on display as part of the funeral ceremony and the party works together to distract the guards so that Lucian can investigate the body. He takes a sample from the inside the dryad’s exposed head to examine later.

The DM mentions later that the party avoided the combat encounter(s) he had planned.

Attachments

• brokenpact.jpg
    brokenpact.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 24,246

gyor

Legend
Thanks, you saved me from having to watch it. Sucks that vampires aren't a playable race in the book, the darker guilds needed a race.

I never really expected playable vampires, dryads, gorgons, angels and the like. Although common in the setting they are much more powerful than standard races.

I did think tieflings might be refluffed to half demons, I don't see a good reason to remove them all together. The setting has demons who sometimes interbreed with other races.

I would like to know what they are doing with goblins. They should be common, will stats be reprinted or just say "see Volo's"?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I never really expected playable vampires, dryads, gorgons, angels and the like. Although common in the setting they are much more powerful than standard races.

I did think tieflings might be refluffed to half demons, I don't see a good reason to remove them all together. The setting has demons who sometimes interbreed with other races.

I would like to know what they are doing with goblins. They should be common, will stats be reprinted or just say "see Volo's"?

Might be different stats from D&D Goblins, if they follow the trend from the Planeshift articles.

gyor

Legend

Goblins are in, I got that from a video in which Wyatt was talking about it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Goblins are in, I got that from a video in which Wyatt was talking about it.

Will be interesting to see if they are Volo's reprints, or a more M:tG version, as Magic Goblins are a different thing entirely. Based on the Minotaur/Centaur rules, I'm hoping it is a unique take.

gyor

Legend
Will be interesting to see if they are Volo's reprints, or a more M:tG version, as Magic Goblins are a different thing entirely. Based on the Minotaur/Centaur rules, I'm hoping it is a unique take.

MtG goblins are even between one plane and the next. Still VGTMs stats would do fine in my opinion as the Ravnica goblin race, nothing in it that would be out of line honestly.

gyor

Legend
So what your saying is this might have stats for Vraska right?

If so...

VENGEANCE FOR JARAD ALL TRAITORS SHALL FALL AND BE MERGED WITH THE ROT!!!!!

I hope Agrus the Wojek (ghost now) is in the book as an NPC. Bonus points if Piveric the Imp and Feather the Angel are in as well and Teysa too.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases