Worlds of Design: “I Hate Dice Games”

When I first saw D&D, I was in my Diplomacy playing phase. That’s a game with no dice, no chance mechanisms at all, but with lots of uncertainty owing to 7 players and simultaneous movement (which can involve guessing enemy intentions). I said, “I hate dice games” and that was it. But not long after (mid-1975), I played D&D at a game convention and loved the possibilities despite the dice.

Can something like Diplomacy’s lack of randomizers be arranged for RPGs? I see an RPG as a microcosm of life, where you try to minimize the times that you have to hope to get lucky (as in life). Inevitably, as with life the game involves much chance. BUT what if you do hate dice games, how do we make a diceless RPG that is a game rather than a story?

When this question came to me I was not familiar with diceless RPGs, but my Twitter correspondents named several. Whether these are actual games (competitions), or storytelling aids, is open to question. I’ve discussed this in detail elsewhere: games involve opposition that may result in failure, as they have for millennia; storytelling aids do not, they’re essentially cooperative and lack failure, though the result may not be particularly satisfying for all. Diceless or even randomless storytelling-aids are not as hard to make as games of this type, because the participants are collectively writing a story and will do it as they wish; the uncertainty comes from the participants alone.

Diceless can mean several things:

1. No dice are used, but some other randomizer is involved (usually cards)
  2. No randomizer of any kind is involved
  3. No randomizer directly involves the players, but randomizers (dice or otherwise) can be used by the GM when setting up (for example, rolling for number of monsters appearing)
Version #1 is fairly easy to implement. Cards can directly substitute for dice (cards numbered 1 through 6 for a d6), or you can devise indirect methods using “battle cards” and the like. James Wallis’ RPG Alas Vegas [sic] uses Tarot Cards as randomizer, or you can make up your own deck of cards. I use my own battle deck in board game prototypes such as Germania and Frankia.

Version #3 is easier on the GM, but is otherwise like #2.

Version #2 is the most challenging. Games depend heavily on uncertainty; many things we call games, without uncertainty, are actually puzzles, e.g.: Tic-Tac-Toe, Chess, Checkers, Go, though three of these four are too complex for humans to entirely solve. Notice, the “games” most subject to computer solution are in this category. Computers now play the last three games listed much better than any human. Tic-tac-toe is simple enough that humans can match computers, and the game is always a draw.

Amber: Diceless Roleplay (and its successor Lords of Gossamer & Shadow) is one of the major diceless games, and if you're familiar with Roger Zelazny's Amber series you know that there are innumerable options available to the only characters that really count, the immensely capable royal family, who can shape reality to their will. A diceless system fits the setting, dice would be inadequate.

We also might think about what we’re resolving: combat, “skill checks” (other than combat, which is just a form of skill check that's often separated from the rest) - and what else? Contents of treasures? Number of monsters?

There are ways to avoid dice: in some rules, the number of monsters is more or less set by their Challenge Rating (or something like it). Some games don't use skill checks, preferring to be based on the actions of the player characters. For example, instead of a "negotiation" skill, you judge from the skill of the player to negotiate in the particular situation. I've not seen combat resolved in non-randomized way, but surely someone has come up with a method. You can use battle cards of some kind to avoid using dice, of course, but there's still a randomizer involved.

Likely some of the readers have tried diceless RPGs and can report their experiences.

This article was contributed by Lewis Pulsipher (lewpuls) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. You can follow Lew on his web site and his Udemy course landing page. If you enjoy the daily news and articles from EN World, please consider contributing to our Patreon!

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

dwayne

Adventurer
It would be kind of hard, but having players have a set number of actions in a round and a set reaction would be a way to start. The GM would have to determine the foes actions basted off what the player does and the motives of the foe. Attacks would be based off the actions and how quick and perceptive you are at predicting what might or might not happen. It would be easy for the gm to just wing the actions but he would have to know the foes he is using like him self, and would be easy for him to fudge things which i hate doing as i see it as unfair to the players like cheating in a way.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Amber Diceless put so much on the shoulders of the GM in many aspects, including that of not just being but appearing impartial when the players had incomplete or incorrect information.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Diplomacy has uncertainty inserted by having many players each with their own agenda trying for a win. And players strived to achieve their goals within that uncertainty generator. In a non-competitive game like most RPGs, if the players aren't working at cross purposes where does that uncertainty come from? Dice or other randomizers. If you take them out, where does it come from?

Now, we do have some solutions. Gumshoe is a detective game, and if will always find the clue if you invoke the right Investigative ability. And character creation is set up depending on the size of the group to ensure that between everyone the Investigative abilities are covered. There's no randomness to it - it's a game not of "if you find the clue" but "what do you do with it?".

But, to get special benefits from your clues, you need to spend per-session resources. So the uncertainty is when and where the characters will spend them. Perhaps a combat system could work like that, where you have a long-term resource that slowly refreshes over days, and combats put in uncertainty by bidding resources and consequences.

There needs to be a source of uncertainty, and without the Diplomacy model of it coming from competing players, I don't think it's something that can all be shouldered by every DM. It needs to come from somewhere, and if it's not a random result generator like dice or cards then it needs to be carefully planned what will generate that uncertainty.

pemerton

Legend
A significant amount of classic D&D is diceless - the GM simply adjudicates the fiction, and the players' play of the fiction.

Ron Edwards, following Jonathan Tween in Everway, divides resolution systems into [urk=http://www.indie-rpgs.com/articles/5/]fortune, drama and karma[/url]. The above-mentioned GM adjudication of fiction is an instance of "drama" ie someone simpy says how things are.

Karma means "referring to listed attributes or quantitative elements without a random element". Resolving an arm wrestle in D&D by comparing STR scores is an example of karma-based resolution. A karma-based combat system would probably be a variant of rock-paper-scissors (ie blind declaration and moves compared). I think the Jousting Matrix in Chainmail is an example of this, although a fairly simple one as it doesn't involve any ratings in the different moves.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
But, to get special benefits from your clues, you need to spend per-session resources. So the uncertainty is when and where the characters will spend them. Perhaps a combat system could work like that, where you have a long-term resource that slowly refreshes over days, and combats put in uncertainty by bidding resources and consequences.

There needs to be a source of uncertainty, and without the Diplomacy model of it coming from competing players, I don't think it's something that can all be shouldered by every DM. It needs to come from somewhere, and if it's not a random result generator like dice or cards then it needs to be carefully planned what will generate that uncertainty.

A lot of the uncertainty would come from players not knowing how long they have to budget resources - can they blow more of it in this encounter or should they hold more for a more significant encounter/situation later? But if there's too much uncertainty, too many players will hoard their resources rather than spend them and that can lead to unsatisfying gameplay as well.

Lord Shark

Adventurer
A lot of the uncertainty would come from players not knowing how long they have to budget resources - can they blow more of it in this encounter or should they hold more for a more significant encounter/situation later? But if there's too much uncertainty, too many players will hoard their resources rather than spend them and that can lead to unsatisfying gameplay as well.

To note one other diceless game, Nobilis works on the same system: players have a limited fund of Miracle Points, and an important part of gameplay involves deciding when to spend your MPs for extra effects or to overpower your enemies' attempts.

Of course, you can still play the game without constantly worrying about your stock of points -- you can still do godly stuff without spending points, just like a doctor in a Gumshoe game wouldn't need to spend points to diagnose a case of the flu.

Randomness accounts for the aggregate of all other factors not represented. It may not be necessary in a game (or contest), but it's vital to any simulation that is less detailed than the reality which it is attempting to model.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I was also playing Diplomacy in Chess club in the late 70's, so a little younger than the OP, I never said I hated dice games though; we were heavy war-gamers with Squad Leader etc., which also had dice. We did sort of look down on RPG's early on, which was wrong, and regrettable now.

My feeling about dice in general, is that the are a good randomizer, esp when you are used to counting odds.

Diceless games are cool, though it seems that with many that work off of points, there develops a "point economy" which is back to counting odds at least.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases