Mearls on RPG Art

WotC's Mike Mearls took to Twitter yesterday to offer some thoughts on art in tabletop RPGs, specifically aimed at small creators and publishers.

dnd_art.jpg

Cover art by Larry Elmore from D&D Red Box

"If you’re looking to get into self-publishing RPG material in 2019, here’s my advice - your art is the most important part of your product. A lot of designers have a writer’s skill set, and see art as the last thing they consider. Don’t fall into that trap.

Art is the entry point into your work. In the best case, work with an artist as co-creator. Talk about the emotion, impact, and resonance you’re aiming for. Work as equals. Draft off of each other’s strengths and ideas.

If you can’t co-create, then keep track of that emotional level and hold on to it when comissioning art. Let the artist paint the picture, rather than dictate it to them. Find artists with new takes on things. Find someone with a distinct style that complements your own.

If you don’t have a vision for the look of your work, you don’t have a vision for it period. Even a short adventure needs tone and atmosphere.

FINALLY! My biggest pet peeve in game art is bad interaction. If a piece has two things that should interact, make sure the action is framed correctly and the relationship actually functional. Easy test. Let’s say you have a warrior jumping off a cliff to plunge down on a dragon.

Cover up the dragon. Looking only at the warrior, where does it look like they’ll land? What’s their state of mind? Where is the target of their attack? Picture that and then uncover the dragon. Do they match? Now do the reverse.

You’ll be surprised at how many very expensive cover art pieces fail this basic test. You’ll find warriors belly-flopping 2 meters in front of their foe. Two enemies locked in mortal combat... with opponents seemingly out of the image’s frame.

My favorite is the arrow/bolt of arcane energy/random projectile that is firing from our hero at a 45 degree angle to barrel its way from the foreground, where our hero shown in profile, to the background that is literally behind them.

Seriously, this drives me nuts. Please stop doing it. Use my test or invent a better one. Once I noticed this issue, it’s now a reflex and a lot of cover art just drives me batty.

It typically comes up because you want to show a character’s face, but also want a scene where logic and physics dictate you should show our hero’s back. IME it’s a good sign that a writer isn’t giving the artist enough creative space to make the image work.

Another piece of art advice because for whatever reason it’s on my mind - the purpose of game art is to communicate a game’s emotion and tone, rather than factual presentations of the game’s world. That’s what words are for.

And since RPGs are a spoken medium, if you can’t easily describe something in words neither can the DM. Don’t do that to them."

And in response to a few questions:

Any advice on balancing an art budget? How do you decide between art for everything and not enough art? (@wildrosemage)

From my POV, if your budget is tight better to go with fewer pieces that have a better chance of setting the tone you want. For DMs Guild, though, I wouldn’t make art a priority since you’re using D&D. My advice is aimed at working on IP/games you own.

Paying an artist what they are worth (which people should) means a lot of art is out of reach for a self-publisher on a budget. (@technoir)

Yeah, it’s not easy on a budget and a partnership with an artist is not always practical. I would say that if you do have a strong vision, that might help get that one piece that really delivers what you’re looking for.

For both artists and those commissioning art, I'd recommend my own article, What's An Artist Worth? It gives an idea of how much art costs, where you can get affordable art, and discusses some of the ethics of underpaying artists.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rhineglade

Adventurer
I would have to definitely agree. I always consider books with better artwork over ones with poor or no artwork. It is the art that draws me to the product in the first place and fosters my imagination. It is also art that grabs hold of my memory and evokes emotions of days gone by whenever I see it again.

Of course, conversely, you can also have material with superb art but crap writing. ;)

Koloth

First Post
Fast test. Which cover art suggests action and adventure vs a boring reference tome. The cover of Pathfinder V1 Core Rulebook or the cover of D&D V3.5 Players Handbook?

And who can forget the iconic cover of the first AD&D players handbook?

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
that original 1e PH art still screams D&D louder to me than anything else. Most later art could be any generic fantasy novel cover. But that one is a pure example of a scene from 100's of game sessions I've played in.

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
"My advice is aimed at working on IP/games you own |not the D&D publishing venue we have made and drive the market towards|."

Great job. Advice much needed. A+.

Stefan Pokorny

First Post
The Artwork has always been so important in the success of D&D...the images of fantasy, from Frazetta to Terrier were real drivers that unlocked our imaginations

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Fast test. Which cover art suggests action and adventure vs a boring reference tome. The cover of Pathfinder V1 Core Rulebook or the cover of D&D V3.5 Players Handbook?

Which one suggests opening an exciting arcane tome of knowledge?

A locked book bound in monster hide and covered with jewels, who knows what secrets it holds.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Of course art is important.

It's often said "don't judge a book by its cover," and this can be very good advice. However, the cover is (if nothing else) the eye-catcher; the cover is what entices you to actually stop, pick up the book and look inside. The cover should also reflect the contents, or you might have readers who feel the cover is the literary form of a clickbait thumbnail.

Likewise, internal art plays a support role in accentuating things presented in text, or providing a tone that supports the text. Internal art can be used for explanatory purposes (like art showing the differences in the various polearms), but this should be the exception and not the rule.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
My friend that is helping me build my game strongly undervalues art in an RPG book, to the point of wishing for no art and more pages full of words, and it absolutely drives me insane.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
A great example of how important art is, is the decline of people making new Halflings in my dnd 5e games. Transports from 4e games abound, but nearly 0 new characters. Because no one in my group doesn’t hate the 5e Halfling art.

OTOH, we love poring over the The One Ring RPG books, even though we rarely play them, and I’ve seen many new players flip through a Star Wars Saga Edition book and say “Oh! I want to play that!” Because of some evocative piece of art.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases