Epic Monsters: Chupacabra (5E)

In today’s Epic Monsters post we’re going after the feared beast of the lower North American desert, that eater of goats and terror in the night known to man as the Chupacabra!

bgClHSNdvGYLcwCsYQjRIgk0NYP0SA3vl0Fvj9jIez-fR2ORpjoN-glIeKviVYqM41duhoylbSE3xhLhSDH0s8PDmGuRwhlyWTaGhLCMcOx9XZViu8dUUqw8-AGWPTK0Baw85nTA

The chupacabra actually originates in Puerto Rico in 1995 but shortly after its first “appearance” a comedian there coined a name for the creature and it was suddenly witnessed in more than a dozen other countries. Basically there’s two different versions of this monster: one that’s sort of an aquatic vampire and another that’s more like a dog. The latter is the one I have solid artwork for so that’s what’s below. Studies into the victims of this creature don’t show any signs of exsanguination but bleeding prey dry has remained a part of the chupacabra’s myth.

Design Notes: It’s fast, it’s great at grappling creatures, it can jump, it bites, it sucks blood, AND it smells bad! What more can a GM ask for? This urban legend can take a pounding, won’t wilt immediately under a barrage of spells (assuming spellcasters go for the most common fallbacks first anyway), and it’s fast as hell--if you’re finding the party is having an easy time with one, it won’t take long for a second to suddenly join in the fight. ;)

Chupacabra
Large beast, unaligned

Armor Class
17 (natural)
Hit Points 210 (20d10+100)
Speed 50 ft., climb 30 ft.

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA
23 (+6)​
18 (+4)​
21 (+5)​
14 (+2)​
19 (+4)​
16 (+3)​

Saving Throws Dex +9, Con +10
Skills Athletics +11, Perception +9, Stealth +9, Survival +9
Damage Resistances cold, fire, poison
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, poisoned
Senses darkvision 200 ft., passive Perception 19
Languages understands Common but can’t speak
Challenge 13 (10,000 XP)

Fast Run. When the chupacabra takes the Dash action, it moves triple its speed instead of double.

Jointed Limbs. The chupacabra has advantage on checks made to grapple.

Keen Senses. The chupacabra has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight, smell, and sound.

Pounce. If the chupacabra moves at least 20 feet straight toward a creature and then hits it with a claw attack on the same turn, that target must succeed on a DC 19 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. If the target is prone, the chupacabra can make one bite attack against it as a bonus action.

Running Leap. With a 10-foot running start, the chupacabra can long jump up to 40 feet.

Stench. Any creature that starts its turn within 10 feet of the chupacabra must succeed on a DC 19 Constitution saving throw or be poisoned until the start of its next turn. On a successful saving throw, the creature is immune to the chupacabra's stench for 24 hours.

ACTIONS

Multiattack. The chupacabra attacks three times: once with its bite and twice with its claws.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 19 (3d8+6) piercing damage. The chupacabra regains hit points equal to the piercing damage taken.

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 16 (3d6+6) slashing damage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Myler

Mike Myler

dave2008

Legend
Another nice entry - thanks Mike!

I personally don't think of the Chupacabra as such a large and fearsome beast (CR 13), but I like what you got in general.

Valdier

Explorer
Yeah noting they are small creatures that attack goats in legend, I've never pictured one the size of a horse that is designed to take down packs of elephants.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
“I found that bloodsucker down by the river.” Crobot

I always pictured it as a chimera of sorts. Semi-reptilian with spines large eyes and possibly flight or gliding.

Or

The beast is sighted repeatedly in the vicinity of livestock killings. But the real perpetrators are blood sucking larvae that were consumed while they were still eggs laid on the underside of leaves. Upon hatching they begin feeding on blood and growing when they hatch they chew their way to freedom and pupate into...I don’t know what.

The beast is blamed and hunted but it was just after it’s prey the larvae.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases