Epic Monsters: Loch Ness Monster (5E)

Another modern tale from the British Isles is today’s entry in Epic Monsters as we head to Scotland for one of the only myths that gives it all away with the creature’s name: Nessie the Loch Ness Monster!

Wd66Ky4n4DM0Vpm4ZXSuZYtfVxfQqWQidJqx7FJL_0ZDoe-cOx3cIIu8ce-p0JAcUcCg6k12z0pt5fPopJDEKzW6gt1qljWncW7mKyV6inzkAkv5ASVBW_oR2HPgKUJne-Xaiwjw

First reported (along with who knows how many other fictitious aquatic beasts) at the start of the middle ages, modern civilization only started to take an interest in Nessie here with a sighting in 1933. Since then photographs and reports of the creature became commonplace, continuing to this very day--most recently in 2014 when Apple Maps supposedly caught a glimpse of the elusive sea beast. Obviously though, my favorite appearance of Nessie is in the iconic American animated show South Park.

Design Notes: We could just whip out a plesiosaur for Nessie here and call it a day so I took one, hit it with an Awaken, dialed a few things up, and added some traits to make it interesting for both the GM and players encountering, hunting, or chasing it.

Nessie the Loch Ness Monster
Huge beast, unaligned

Armor Class
15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 95 (10d12+30)
Speed 20 ft., swim 50 ft.

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA
20 (+5)​
16 (+3)​
17 (+3)​
10 (+0)​
13 (+1)​
5 (-3)​

Skills Athletics +8, Perception +4, Stealth +9
Senses passive Perception 14
Languages English
Challenge 5 (1,800 XP)

Hold Breath. Nessie can hold her breath for 1 hour.

Magnificent Swimmer. While in the water, Nessie is considered to be under the constant effects of a freedom of movement spell.

Meniscus Mirage. While underwater, Nessie can use a bonus action to cast mislead without the use of components (spell save DC 12). Only creatures above the water are affected by this trait and it ends whenever Nessie ceases concentrating on it or emerges from the water.

Watery Teleport (Recharge 6). Nessie may teleport (as the spell) from one part of a body of water to another part of the same body of water.

ACTIONS

Multiattack. Nessie attacks twice: once with its bite and once with its tail slap.

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 15 ft., one target. Hit: 18 (3d8+5) piercing damage.

Tail Slap. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 20 ft., one target. Hit: 12 (2d6+5) bludgeoning damage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Myler

Mike Myler

dave2008

Legend
I like it - thanks as always for sharing. One suggestion, I might stipulate that the tail attack can't target the same creature as the bite attack.

There's something very cool and paradoxical about the artwork for a monster actually showing the monster being eaten by a different monster. Imagine if the whole Monster Manual was illustrated that way? I'm not sure what you'd show eating the Tarrasque, but otherwise it would be cool.

dave2008

Legend
There's something very cool and paradoxical about the artwork for a monster actually showing the monster being eaten by a different monster. Imagine if the whole Monster Manual was illustrated that way? I'm not sure what you'd show eating the Tarrasque, but otherwise it would be cool.

Well the artwork is one I've seen in old dinosaurs books. The claim was that it was an old drawing of a mosasaur and plesiosaur fighting with a pterosaur in the sky. However, I had never noticed the people before until it was posted here. So now I am not sure what the origin is!

Aiden_Keller_

First Post

We would know what creatures hunt others...we could have parties come across one monster fighting another and they decide to intervene and pick them both off or slowing walk away...

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases