D&D 5E Mythological Figures: Morgan le Fay (5E)

Mythological Figures is back in Britain and more specifically Camelot with today’s entry: the enchantress Morgan le Fay!

pB4G9U_ISVyk3o8KI-HpuqjTgBmVV2UMtHbj9hFSUuR43Y0BFY1vyg2HQ9QxBdHmTgxZG3YaXlfzoAM2gLF9LUGdoXhKXboiEovHDHOhIkxM-DJg4H38vbz3ParEfmi5dHzD9GRp

There’s a lot you can read about Morgan le Fay as she plays an integral role to much of King Arthur’s story but here are the highlights. She’s one of Arthur’s half-sisters and married to King Urien of Gaul, although she has a love affair with Accolon of Gaul (a Knight of the Round Table), at one point trying to kill her husband and Arthur so that her lover might take the throne. She’s a powerful enchantress that knows witchcraft and is always going about making use of it for intrigue and what have you. Although she steals the sheath of Excalibur, a source of magical healing for Arthur, and she doesn’t return it to him so that he might heal from the Battle of Camlann, she helps guide Arthur to Avalon during his final days. She’s mother to Ywain as well and gets sent to a convent when she’s young, and trains under Merlin and is also Modred’s aunt, and a whole bunch of other things. If nothing else Morgan le Fay was a very busy lady.

Design Notes: It wasn’t long before I realized I was walking into a bit of a hornet’s nest with Morgan le Fay here so I decided on a couple of things to hang her proverbial hat upon. First of all she’s able to heal with her magic and frequently using enchantments so that makes up the bulk of her spellcasting via the divine sorcerer bloodline. Next is the witchcraft—for medieval Britain that strikes me as a very druid thing and I’ve loaded her up with the ritual feat to cover that bit. Finally—and I feel fairly confident that it will be a point of contention—she’s got a scholarly background to represent her youth spent in a formal setting for education (a convent) and tutelage by Merlin Ambrosius. If you’re looking for a solid evil-witchery-court-intrigue I think she’s going to fit the bill nicely! For her Challenge Rating I think the DMG (7) and Blog of Holding (8) rubrics just aren’t going to work right because she’s got little in the way of damaging spells so I’m calling it by ear at 13.

Morgan le Fay
Medium humanoid (human), neutral sorcerer (holy blood) 16

Armor Class
15 (bracers of defense, ring of protection)
Hit Points 88 (16d6+32)
Speed 30 ft.

STR
DEX
CON
INT
WIS
CHA
9 (-1)​
14 (+2)​
14 (+2)​
14 (+2)​
14 (+2)​
18 (+4)​

Saving Throws Str +0, Dex +3, Con +8, Int +3, Wis +3, Cha +10
Skills Arcana +7, Deception +9, History +7, Insight +7
Senses passive Perception 12
Languages Anglo-Saxon/Olde English (Common), Ancient Scandinavian/Proto-Norse, Sylvan
Challenge 13 (10,000 XP)

Background: Scholar. Fate gently nudges Morgan le Fay toward the answers to her questions. When she fails to recollect or discover more about a subject of lore, she knows where or whom can give her that information (usually from an athenaeum, library, institute of higher learning, another scholar, or mystical creature). The lengths to which she must go to acquire this information and the feasibility of doing so is entirely at the GM’s discretion.

Divine Favor (1/Short Rest). Morgan le Fay adds 2d4 to a failed saving throw or missed attack roll, making the saving throw or hitting if the new result beats the DC or AC.

Faerie Wings. Morgan le Fay can use a bonus action to conjure forth upon her back the wings of a great insect, gaining a flying speed of 30 feet until she dismisses them (a bonus action), dies, or becomes incapacitated.

Holy Magic. Morgan le Fay’s spells come from the cleric spell list as well as the sorcerer spell list, and shas cure wounds as a bonus spell known.

Feat: Ranged Spellcaster. Morgan le Fay ignores half cover and three-quarters cover when making a ranged spell attack. In addition, she doubles the range of any spell she casts that has a ranged spell attack.

Feat: Ritual Spellcasting. Morgan le Fay has a ritual book that contains the following spells, all of which she’s able to cast as rituals (using Wisdom as her spellcasting ability): detect magic, detect poison and disease, purify food and drink, speak with animals, animal messenger, locate animals or plants, meld into stone, water breathing, water walk, commune with nature.

Sorcery Points (16/Long Rest). Morgan le Fay can use sorcery points to gain additional spell slots, or sacrifice spell slots to gain additional sorcery points.

• Creating Spell Slots & Sorcery Points. As a bonus action on her turn, Morgan le Fay can expend one spell slot and either gain a number of sorcerer points equal to the slot’s level or create a spell slot by expending sorcery points (1st-level—2 points, 2nd-level—3 points, 3rd-level—5 points, 4th-level—6 points, 5th-level—7 points).
  • Metamagic: Extended Spell. When Morgan le Fay casts a spell with a duration of 1 minute or longer, she can spend 1 sorcery point to double its duration, to a maximum duration of 24 hours.
  • Metamagic: Quickened Spell. When Morgan le Fay casts a spell that has a casting time of 1 action, she can spend 2 sorcery points to change the casting time to 1 bonus action for this casting.
  • Metamagic: Subtle Spell. When Morgan le Fay casts a spell, she can spend 1 sorcery point to cast it without any somatic or verbal components.
  • Powerful Healing (1/Turn). As long as she’s not incapacitated, Morgan le Fay can spend 1 sorcery point to reroll any number of dice from a spell that restores hit points to herself or an ally within 5 feet.

Spellcasting. Morgan le Fay is a 16th level spellcaster that uses Charisma as her spellcasting ability (spell save DC 17; +9 to hit with spell attacks). Morgan le Fay has the following spells prepared from the cleric and sorcerer spell lists:
Cantrips: eldritch blast, fire bolt, light, mending, minor illusion, sacred flame, spare the dying
1st-level (4 slots): charm person, command, cure wounds, sleep
2nd-level (3 slots): invisibility, suggestion
3rd-level (3 slots): bestow curse
4th-level (3 slots): confusion, dominate beast
5th-level (2 slots): dominate person, geas, hold monster
6th-level (1 slot): mass suggestion
7th-level (1 slot): regenerate
8th-level (1 slot): power word stun

ACTIONS

Dagger. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d4+2) piercing damage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Myler

Mike Myler

S'mon

Legend
Design Notes: It wasn’t long before I realized I was walking into a bit of a hornet’s nest with Morgan le Fay here so I decided on a couple of things to hang her proverbial hat upon. First of all she’s able to heal with her magic and frequently using enchantments so that makes up the bulk of her spellcasting via the divine sorcerer bloodline. Next is the witchcraft—for medieval Britain that strikes me as a very druid thing and I’ve loaded her up with the ritual feat to cover that bit. Finally—and I feel fairly confident that it will be a point of contention—she’s got a scholarly background to represent her youth spent in a formal setting for education (a convent) and tutelage by Merlin Ambrosius.

Sounds like a Lore Bard to me. :p

dave2008

Legend
Thanks again Mike. I did Morgon a while back and I agree she is an interesting character. I generally like what you did here and I think the spell selection look good.

I do have one question: I noticed she is using a d6 for hit points. Did I miss that you were using class HD instead of NPC HD (d8) in the previous entries?

Quartz

Hero
As an educated person of the era she would undoubtedly know Latin, possibly Greek too. You might subsume that under her scholar background.

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
I do have one question: I noticed she is using a d6 for hit points. Did I miss that you were using class HD instead of NPC HD (d8) in the previous entries?

Indeed! Previous entries should be doing the same (unless it's a monster with class levels tacked on in which case it should still be the regular hit die used by the monster).

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
Sounds like a Lore Bard to me. :p

The uses of Bardic Inspiration would absolutely be fitting for her courtly intrigue but I deemed silent metamagic to be the superior quality. Cutting into bard for 3 levels wouldn't break her though so worth considering. :)

ParanoydStyle

Peace Among Worlds
Nice! One of my favorite mythological figures, actually, Mike, as well as Modred. Morgan/Morgana represents a literary/fantasy/mythic archetype I'm a little obsessed with right now, the "Dark Queen", with (the original) Maleficient being a very visible example.

The insect wings feel like a bit...much? Unless there was actually any indication of that trait in the "source material" (the source material in this case being the so-called "matter of Britain", largely understood in the modern day through the lens of T.H. White's classic The Once And Future King.)

The stat block seems just about right for the most part. A strong argument could probably be made for doing her as a Warlock rather than a unique Sorcerer/Druid/Cleric combo, but I don't care enough to make it lol. I will say that for a CR 13 enemy she is VERY fragile. 88 hp is very little at that level and at that level an AC of 15 isn't a defense at all. I'd probably give her some more magic items (cloak of displacement comes immediately to mind) and tweak her spell list a little (superior invisibility would be useful).

(Oh, and if I were to use her in something for whatever reason I'd give her legendary actions/lair actions because she is literally a legend but that's probably true of most of your Mythological Figures series.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Zarsla

Villager
Nice! One of my favorite mythological figures, actually, Mike, as well as Modred. Morgan/Morgana represents a literary/fantasy/mythic archetype I'm a little obsessed with right now, the "Dark Queen", with (the original) Maleficient being a very visible example.

The insect wings feel like a bit...much? Unless there was actually any indication of that trait in the "source material" (the source material in this case being the so-called "matter of Britain", largely understood in the modern day through the lens of T.H. White's classic The Once And Future King.)

The stat block seems just about right for the most part. A strong argument could probably be made for doing her as a Warlock rather than a unique Sorcerer/Druid/Cleric combo, but I don't care enough to make it lol. I will say that for a CR 13 enemy she is VERY fragile. 88 hp is very little at that level and at that level an AC of 15 isn't a defense at all. I'd probably give her some more magic items (cloak of displacement comes immediately to mind) and tweak her spell list a little (superior invisibility would be useful).

(Oh, and if I were to use her in something for whatever reason I'd give her legendary actions/lair actions because she is literally a legend but that's probably true of most of your Mythological Figures series.)
If this is 5e, then this seems to be a reflavored Divine Soul Sorcerer with Rit Caster Feat(Wis, Druid) and Spell Sniper(Warlock, eldritch blast)

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases