Pathfinder 2E Paizo News Update: 2E Gets a Release Date! 1E Celebration Sale; Tyrant's Grasp for Pathfinder and Da

Hello and good fortune, my lovelies, and welcome back to one of my favorite corners of the internet – it’s the PAIZO NEWS UPDATE! A new month means a whole new batch of announcements, reveals, updates, and more, so much so that it’s going to be difficult to get it all in one Update. Look forward to part two coming soon! And now without further ado, ONTO THE PAIZO NEWS!

We're starting things off with a very special announcement: after what seems like years (but is probably only months) of playtesting, development, and feedback, Pathfinder Second Edition has a release date!The new game is finally going to be available starting August 1, 2019. Worry not about wait times and wait lists, however; you can set up your preorder right now on the Paizo site! Now, let’s take a look at everything that’s going to be available on release day!
PZO2101_180.jpeg
First, foremost, and most obvious, is the Pathfinder Core Rulebook. Over 600 pages of ancestries, classes, background spells, feats, and more, built on the lessons of the previous edition and the invaluable feedback from you, the players (over 125,000 of you!), this massive tome is the cornerstone of the game going forward and everything you need for countless hours of entertainment. Worried about getting new players started? Fret no longer, the design team has included streamlined rules for character creation.

Concerned you won’t have the same level of customization? Of course not, this system doesn’t have dozens of splatbooks; but 30 backgrounds, 6 ancestries, and 12 classes multiply out to an amount of variability I am simply too lazy to calculate. Long story short: IT’S HERE! IT’S HERE! IT’S FINALLY HERE!
PZO2102_180.jpeg

Of course this wouldn’t be Pathfinder without a Bestiary, and wouldn’t you know it the good folks at the Golem have done it again! The Pathfinder Bestiary is no slouch when it comes to size, as it contains over 400 monsters each with their own dedicated page or spread! Filled with old favorite like orcs, dragons, and trolls, as well as the loveable Paizo trope of silly Scrabble-bag names like the nilith or the mutoli, the Pathfinder Bestiary is made with the GMs and players in mind. A dedicated section for universal monster rules makes looking up special attacks a breeze, as do the guidelines for apportioning treasure to your loot-hungry players.
PZO2101-SE_180.jpeg
PZO2102-SE_180.jpeg

But wait, there’s even more! It just wouldn’t be a modern TTRPG release without swag and special editions, and the Golem does not disappoint! Both the Core Rulebook and the Bestiary are also available in sumptuous (faux) leather-bound versions featuring metallic embossing and a fancy schwancy ribbon bookmark. Show your GM you care – get them the grimoire of their dreams! At least, this particular dream – leave those other grimoires at the bottom of the sea where they belong.

PZO90145_180.jpeg
PZO9555_180.jpeg
PZO9301_180.jpeg

Now that you have your characters and your monsters, whatever shall you do with them? Go on an adventure, of course! Luckily, the release will include not one but two adventures to cut your teeth on: the first, Hellknight Hill, is the very first episode of the very first Adventure Path for the new edition, and the second is a standalone adventure called The Fall of Plaguestone. And that’s not all! The Lost Omens World Guide gives players and GMs alike a whole new word to explore, plunder, and rescue. Is it Golarion but The Future? Ambiguous! Which god of prophecy is dead? Unknown! The future is yours to decide!

There’s even more tasty little gubbins that come with the release that we simply don’t have time or space to cover here, so let us conclude this special edition of the PAIZO NEWS UPDATE by simply saying again: PATHFINDER SECOND EDITION ARRIVES AUGUST 1, 2019! Now, go! Fortune and glory await!

And now, onto our regularly-scheduled Paizo news.

Are you still worried that Pathfinder Second Edition will be too complicated to introduce to new players? Do you want to cling to your beloved gonzo over-modified 3.X system? Well I have some good news for you! As Paizo moves forward unto the second edition of their flagship game, they’re giving the first edition a warm sendoff with the First Edition Celebration Sale! Over 120 titles and products have been blessed by the magical savings fairy (who knows, with 5 Bestiaries that might actually be a thing) and are ready to get snapped up by your grabby little paws. I for one am happy to see Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Land of the Linnorm Kings on that list, as it’s been on my wishlist for quite some time now.

What’s next? How about your favorite segment and mine, the Adventure Paths! Starting us off this Update is part 3 of 6 in the Tyrant’s Grasp Adventure Path. Last time we saw our heroes was as they struggled to escape the clutches of a deadly fog and a terrible cult to warn the world of impending devastation. Free now of the fog, you must race to warn the city of Vigil of the threat of the cult’s Whispering Tyrant and his mysterious weapon. Can you pierce the veil of revelry that has descended over Vigil? Will you let the gang of thieves and cabal of conspirators destroy the city before it can be saved? CAN YOUR DM CONTAIN THEIR GLEE WHEN THEY SEE RULES FOR DRAGON SWARMS AND UNDEAD HORDES? Find out for yourself in PATHFINDER ADVENTURE PATH #141: LAST WATCH!

Continuing right along we find another Adventure Path ready for the radio voice, this one for Starfinder! This newest Starfinder Adventure Path is the third chapter of the Dawn of Flame Adventure Path, itself the second of Starfinder’s traditional 6-chapter APs. With the data about the mysterious readings coming from the sun recovered, it’s clear now to our heroes that there is a secretive culture hidden away deep inside the sun, and the coordinates to find it! Now the only problem is getting there – a problem complicated when the inventor who can make this ship turns out to be in debt to the wrong people! Can your brave heroes cut it with a group of sun-plummeting daredevils? Will everyone escape with fingers and kneecaps intact? HOW MANY TIMES CAN YOU SAY SCUM AND VILLAINY BEFORE YOUR DM TEARS THEIR HAIR OUT? Find out for yourself in STARFINDER ADVENTURE PATH #15: SUN DIVERS!

Well, that about does it for this edition of the PAIZO NEWS UPDATE, ladies and gentlefolk! Fret not, however, April is bursting at the seams with Golemeriffic content and products, so the we will return soon to fill you in! Here’s a sneak preview – Pathfinder first edition still has plenty of life in it yet, and by “life” I mean nonsense names for new creatures! How do they come up with names like “illureshi protean” or “morbai psychopomp” or “agnoia aeon”, much less figure out what they do? Find out next time on the PAIZO NEWS UPDATE!

This article was contributed by Ben Reece (LongGoneWriter) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. If you enjoy the daily news and articles from EN World, please consider contributing to our Patreon!

Ben Reece

Ben Reece

Staffan

Legend
The "Age of Lost Omens" thing was a thing in Golarion 1e as well. Aroden was a god of prophecy (or rather destiny), and was prophesied to return to Cheliax about a century before the setting's starting point. He did not, and instead the world was wracked by storms for three weeks after which Aroden's clerics no longer received their spells, and Aroden is considered dead and ever since, no major prophecies have come true. Thus, the current age is known as the Age of Lost Omens.

What thrilled me the most was that the GM screen is available in both portrait and landscape. Because previously Pathfinder has only had portrait screens and those are for suckers...

D1Tremere

Adventurer
"[FONT=&quot]Streamlined and revised rules" "[/FONT][FONT=&quot]More than 600 pages of game rules"
I was hoping streamlined meant I could have the creative tools to do more with less.[/FONT]

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases