Casting Begins Soon For D&D Movie?
  • Casting Begins Soon For D&D Movie?

According to Screenrant, Paramount's (Summer 2021) Dungeons & Dragons movie is about to begin casting.

There's a few tidbits to be gleaned from the article:
    • Paramount is looking at A-listers for the male lead
    • The new draft of the script is by Michael Gillio
    • The director is no longer involved, and the studio is looking for a new one

There has been plenty of news, speculation, rumour, and more about this movie over the last few years; in fact, I've been covering the various rumours for at least 5 years!
    Comments 172 Comments
      Dioltach -
      Summer 2012? Sounds like it might be a Dragonlance timetravelling movie!
      theworstdm -
      I don't feel like a movie is the right format to fully capture the essence of D&D. What I fear we'll get is the 140 minute long Dungeons & Dragons Presents Generic Fantasy Movie #827. A limited series would give the creators more room to develop characters, do some world building and do some long format storytelling, all things that you get in D&D.
      theworstdm -
      I'd watch that!
      Ralif Redhammer -
      I could be reading too much into semantics here, but the reference to a singular “male lead” might indicate that this is not a Dragonlance movie. Or at least, not a War of the Lance adaptation.

Don't know anything much about Michael Gillio, but his imdb credentials as a writer don't exactly inspire confidence here. Still, it's only one cook out of multiple mixing up the soup at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
      Paramount is looking at A-listers for the male lead
      Mistwell -
      They're looking to attach a big name actor to the project, rather than engage in project casting, I suspect. You attach a big name, to attract the better directors, who then bring in a casting director to cast the movie. You wouldn't normally cast a movie without a director in place, as the director usually influences the casting director.
    1. Flexor the Mighty! -
      Quote Originally Posted by theworstdm View Post
      I don't feel like a movie is the right format to fully capture the essence of D&D. What I fear we'll get is the 140 minute long Dungeons & Dragons Presents Generic Fantasy Movie #827. A limited series would give the creators more room to develop characters, do some world building and do some long format storytelling, all things that you get in D&D.
      Unless the movie has the leads loot a dead comrade then use his body to wedge open a door its just another generic fantasy flick to me.
      Jay Verkuilen -
      They really have to bring Bruce Payne back or it's just not real.
      Ralif Redhammer -
      Name: image0003.jpg ► Views: 2507 ► Size: 46.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Verkuilen View Post
      They really have to bring Bruce Payne back or it's just not real.
      robus -
      Sounds like it's already heading into design by committee so I still have a bad feeling about this. But if they're going for it, then Joe Manganiello should be cast. He's a huge D&D guy and would make a perfect lead for something like this. But they'll probably find someone whose heart is not in it and it'll end up kind of sad.

Also I hope they have the courage to let the actors interpret their characters. Ridley Scott did that with Blade Runner and it ended up with a bunch of idiosyncratic and interesting characters.

But totally second the TV series idea - 15 episodes -> 15 levels. And then reboot the whole thing for the next season.
      crazy_cat -
      Quote Originally Posted by robus View Post
      But totally second the TV series idea - 15 episodes -> 15 levels. And then reboot the whole thing for the next season.
      Or bait and switch us with an A list cast playing the party in episode 1. End with a TPK and then restart with cheaper unknowns as new PCs for episode 2 onwards...
      Demetrios1453 -
      Quote Originally Posted by crazy_cat View Post
      Or bait and switch us with an A list cast playing the party in episode 1. End with a TPK and then restart with cheaper unknowns as new PCs for episode 2 onwards...
      The original group would be led by Sean Bean, I assume?
      MarkB -
      If you want to know what they're casting you'll need to make an Intelligence (Arcana) check.
      HawaiiSteveO -
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75RUpLIDKmU

Lin-Manuel Miranda as the best bard EVER!
      Lidgar -
      I'd much rather see a Lankhmar/Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser or Elric or Amber movie than a "D&D" movie. For epitomizing early D&D, those three fantasy world probably do it best.
      lowkey13 -
      "The studio is reportedly looking at a list that includes Will Smith, Josh Brolin, Chris Pratt, Vin Diesel, Matthew McConaughey, Jamie Foxx, Joel Edgerton, Dave Bautista, Jeremy Renner, and Johnny Depp."

I, too, can name actors.

Studio Head: Get me a Chris!

Poor intern: Which one? Pine? Pratt? Evans? Hemsworth? Ludacris?

Studio Head: ALL OF THEM!
    1. Wrathamon -
      Will Smith would be great in a D&D movie! .... said no one
      robus -
      Quote Originally Posted by lowkey13 View Post
      "The studio is reportedly looking at a list that includes Will Smith, Josh Brolin, Chris Pratt, Vin Diesel, Matthew McConaughey, Jamie Foxx, Joel Edgerton, Dave Bautista, Jeremy Renner, and Johnny Depp."
      That has to be the most phoned in list ever!
      lowkey13 -
      Quote Originally Posted by robus View Post
      That has to be the most phoned in list ever!
      1. Yeah.

2. So .... aren't you even a little curious to see Matthew McConaughey star in a D&D movie?

"It’s Thursday and it’s past noon. Thursday is one of my days off. On my days off I start drinking at noon. You don’t get to interrupt that.”
      Oofta -
      Quote Originally Posted by Flexor the Mighty! View Post
      Unless the movie has the leads loot a dead comrade then use his body to wedge open a door isn't just another generic fantasy flick to me.
      Were you at my table my last game?
      Dausuul -
      Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crap.

Sturgeon's Law most definitely applies to movies. Therefore, the Bayesian prior--the expectation before any evidence specific to this movie is taken into account--is that this movie is 90% likely to be crap.

So far, there does not appear to be any evidence that would modify that expectation.
    Comments Leave Comment