It's Not A Cartoon, But What Is It?

Matt Corley is a freelance RPG writer for Kobold Press and Petersen Games. He recently tweeted the image below with the caption "Pre-hype, hype for an amazing project coming to Kickstarter this Summer", although he notes that it is NOT a cartoon.

D3k7mqZW0AI1vZW.jpg

When asked "Is this a reboot of the D&D cartoon?" he emphatically replied "It’s not. The amazing folks at Critical Role have DnD cartoons well in hand".

Corley mentioned in February that his youngest has been diagnosed with cancer, and produced a t-shirt for charity.

He also posted these images recently, with the caption "Pre-hype".

hsd.png
kwc.png

Thanks to Jeremy for the scoop.

Miniatures, action figures, board game or mobile videogame, comics, "choose your own adventure" game books?

The cartoon was made by Marvel Studios. Who owns copyright about the characters? Would be possible a sequel with a new generation of heroes?

* D&D is my favorite cartoon, it is the cartoon parents show their own children, or nieces, to share old memories.

* Almost off-topic, but you don't imagine this song you missed. It is totally 80's style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQviv9yW82Y

Lyrics translations to English:

We arrived to a fantastic world
full of strange beings
the dungeon master
gave powers to all us.
You the barbarian,
you the archer,
acrobat, mage and the knight
Dragons and Dungeons
an infernal world
hiding in the shadows
the evil forces.

(Who owns the copyright of this song or a remade cover?)

---

My theory is a different title, with other characters, but with a similar plot about children from our world visiting a fantasy world. The name of this fantasy subgenre is "isekai" ( = different world).

There is an audio drama with the original voice actors for the last episode Requiem. Maybe someday we will watch it in cartoon version, or CGI.

* "The dragon prince" is a good example with a good script a D&D cartoon is possible.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Hasn’t WotC (or a partner) already publishing some YA choose your own adventures featuring particular classes?

Anthro78

Explorer
Honestly the cryptic looks like it came straight from a Gravity Falls end scene. Great show my son got me hooked on, AND they played a D&D analogue in one episode!

neobolts

Explorer
The cypher in the image reads "FUN AND GAMES ARE GREAT DISTRACTIONS A?? SMALL THINGS CAN HAVE CHAIN REACTIONS"

(The question marks are because I couldn't figure out the numbers in that spot due to "staining" on the paper)

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
I’d like to see a world where Tiamat, venger, and Lolth are physically present. But the concept of playing people from the real earth I don’t like. But that’s just me. Now as a setting i would like to see this as playable. Especially a return of venger.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases