Your Opinion Matters

I’d like to ask you a favor. The next time (or ideally every time) you buy an RPG product, leave a short review. You might not think your opinion is that important, or that a line or two on a Drivethrurpg review is any use. But I promise you, it really helps in a lot of ways.

board-3699978_960_720.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.​

For those of us creating the product (be they writing, art, editing, layout etc) seeing a review means we know someone actually read it, or at least had a flick through. We are all as guilty as each other of impulse buying, or grabbing a book for the one character class we might use. So even if sales figures show a product is popular, it’s not really a guide to whether anyone has read it, or liked it. Now I’ll grant you, the money is nice. Don’t stop buying games for god’s sake. But we make them for people to read and enjoy, and it’s much nicer to hear that’s going on.

In some cases you may have emailed the company to say how great a book is, or tell them how much it sucked. That isn’t a bad idea (done politely) and the company certainly needs to know what the customers think. But most of the writing and art team are freelance, so they never get to read these comments. We might hear from the boss that ‘people liked that last book’ or ‘lot of folks hated that adventure’ but only if we happen to catch up with them at a con or the like. For the most part, unless we see a review online, the writers and artists won’t have the faintest idea whether anyone liked it.

To illustrate the point, I used to run the Victoria line for Cubicle 7. We did see the odd review and that was cool, but only one or two. But when forums asked ‘what Victorian era RPGs do you recommend’ Victoriana barely got a mention. Sales seemed ok, so we carried on, but it did feel like no one was really playing the game. Maybe they were using the material for something else (although that’s cool). Sales were good enough to do a new edition and we sold a good pile to distributers. But a week afterwards one UK distributer made another large order. We quickly checked they’d actually had the original order, thinking they couldn’t possibly have got through that many books. But they had, people apparently loved the game and were extremely eager for the new edition. It seemed Victoriana was a game plenty of people played, just no one talked about!

In this way, feedback can sometimes make the difference between a line carrying on, or at least how it is prioritized. If people are talking about something, a company is going to assume that this is the game they want more of. Even if sales are good, you may think twice about pushing a product line that doesn’t seem to make much of a buzz.

For we freelancers, it’s a vital way to hear what we are doing right or wrong. You’ll notice I’m not asking just for good reviews. They are nice, but constructive criticism is also good. Reviews are one of the few ways we get to hear when we’ve hit the mark, or when we’ve not delivered what people want. We all play RPGs in different ways, and what may be obvious to one group may never come up for another.

In part, the lack of reviews for some products is due to the expectations we now have. The bar for RPG production is incredibly high these days. If you find a game with gorgeous art, great layout, clear text and inspiring writing you may well just think ‘yup, that’ll do’ and not think it needs further comment. It takes a truly incredible game to make people sit up and notice because RPGs are just so damn good. But even if we haven’t knocked your socks off, it’s good to hear we didn’t suck, or at least delivered to this standard.

Now, this applies less to the latest D&D book, Star Wars guide or Onyx Path supplement. The really big players do get noticed and their larger sales often ensure a few more reviews, although it’s not always the case. But small games from small companies sometimes get no reviews at all, and that is also a shame because those companies need it most. Reviews are advertising to a large extent. Even a bad review might intrigue someone to check out a product. For these games few people have heard of, reviews are a lifeline to spread the word and reach their audience, especially when they are competing with much bigger fish. When you are making a purchase, which game do you buy, the one with a couple of even just average reviews, or the one with none at all?

So, whatever you think of a new game, please remember to leave some sort of review. It only needs to be a couple of lines and those of us making games really appreciate it. Just tell us what you liked, maybe what you didn’t and what you think we missed. Not only does it help us improve the products we create, but it also allows a writer to know that out there, somewhere, someone at least read it and maybe even enjoyed it.

This article was contributed by Andrew Peregrine (Corone) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. If you enjoy the daily news and articles from EN World, please consider contributing to our Patreon!

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew Peregrine

Andrew Peregrine

Ramaster

Adventurer
I feel that a lot of people (myself included) are discouraged from leaving reviews because lots of times negative ones get deleted and positive ones are clearly fake.

Reviews are a good tool for developers, sure, but they are an even better tool for consumers who have a limited amount of money to spend on products. Most people who don't review don't do it out of lazyness or lack of engagement, they don't do it because of that.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
EN Review site has both postive and negative reviews

I feel that a lot of people (myself included) are discouraged from leaving reviews because lots of times negative ones get deleted and positive ones are clearly fake.

Taking a quick glance at ENWorld's own Reviews page, I see a lot of products that have low scores with multiple reviews. It looks like here you can leave an honest review (good or bad) and have it stick.

Reviews are a good tool for developers, sure, but they are an even better tool for consumers who have a limited amount of money to spend on products. Most people who don't review don't do it out of lazyness or lack of engagement, they don't do it because of that.

Help out the consumers as well as the developers by leaving a review here since it seems to avoid the issue you spoke of from other review sites.

https://www.enworld.org/forum/productforums.php

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I find too many people leave reviews the day the product was released. They can't have read it or even playtest it. It is just fans who are loyal to a brand. Not real reviews.

lyle.spade

Adventurer
I find too many people leave reviews the day the product was released. They can't have read it or even playtest it. It is just fans who are loyal to a brand. Not real reviews.

Agreed. Or Trolls who hate a brand and just want to revel in being negative.

I've reviewed several things here, and always after at least a full read, and mostly after a few sessions and some time to think.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
The problem is that reviews, like everything else, are subject to Sturgeon's Law, as summarized by Penny Arcade.

Hilarious comic, but in what way would you consider it “grandma friendly”?

EDIT: Added link. Be aware that comic is mildly NSFW for language.

Last edited by a moderator:

jasper

Rotten DM
Corone for some us, leaving a review is hard because our writing skills suck. Also Ramaster points out the fact of reviews go missing, and some positive ones are fluffing the product. For books I wait till I actually finish (generally) the story. For RPG products, a well research review is hard. First I have to really read it. Not in depth so I find all the typos but enough where I get the sense of how game play will play out. But I have found what I thought would be a good game/adventure turn into an average or lousy product. Or just the opposite.
I also I laugh at art comments in other reviews because that is totally subjective. I started gaming where the only colored art was on the cover. So color art does not impress me much.
If you do send out product before release day to get reviews, please have the reviewer’s state in their review

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
On the other hand, shill and/or troll reviews are relatively easy to spot, and those of us who aren't cynics glean a lot of useful information from a well-formed review, which there are actually quite a bit more common than some in this thread would have us believe.

That said, different platforms breed different levels of reviews. I'd turn to ENWorld for a legitimate and useful review long before I'd look at the DM's Guild comments, for instance. GOG has much better quality reviews (and infinitely fewer trolls) than Steam, which in turn has infinitely fewer shill reviews than basically any mobile app store ever.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases