Baldur's Gate III Announced; Powered by D&D 5E
  • Baldur's Gate III Announced; Powered by D&D 5E

The developers of the Divinity: Original Sin series, Laria Studios, officially announced Baldur’s Gate III.

The new game will use the D&D 5th Edition rules as the backbone for their system and the storyline will be set directly after the events in the upcoming adventure Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus. The game will be released on PC and the new Google Stadia video game streaming service. The announcement came with a teaser trailer below. More information is expected at the video game and electronics conference E3 next week.

The game isn't quite available for pre-order, but you can add it to your wishlist on Steam. The Steam listing also gives some idea of the features and gameplay options, as it lists Single Player, Multi-Player, Online Multiplayer, Local Multiplayer, Co-Op, Online Co-Op, Local Co-Op, Shared/Split Screen, and Cross-Platform Multiplayer.

The announcement follows a tease last week with an image of the stylized "III" which left the title of the game as part of the filename.

Warning: The trailer features some gruesome imagery which may not be suitable for all audiences and is definitely NSFW.

Comments 260 Comments
    1. CapnZapp -
      My point regarding races is that any 2019 Baldur's Gate would be a 5E Baldur's Gate, complete with Dragonborn and Tieflings always having lived there.

I can't make sense of the idea they would repeat the AD&D Baldur's Gate. (I can understand why you could *hope* or *want* that, but not that you'd actually *believe* it would happen.)
      Paul Farquhar -
      Quote Originally Posted by CapnZapp View Post
      My point regarding races is that any 2019 Baldur's Gate would be a 5E Baldur's Gate, complete with Dragonborn and Tieflings always having lived there.

I can't make sense of the idea they would repeat the AD&D Baldur's Gate. (I can understand why you could *hope* or *want* that, but not that you'd actually *believe* it would happen.)

I'm sure that is the case. And BG2 had a tiefling character, and they where a playable race in NWN.

But personally I think both races are rubbish, and would rather have tortles.
      Mercador -
      We could have a complete thread for gaming streaming Let's talk about BG3 alright? The PC Game show press conference is at 1PM Eastern Time for a reminder. I plan to watch it, I hope we'll get more info.
      gyor -
      https://youtu.be/M4ZMMWc7NAU

An BG3 interview. Honestly these questions are getting repetitive. I'm tried of hearing how the deal happened, give us something like how many subclasses and races in the game, or areas outside of BG visited, something meatier.
      MarkB -
      Quote Originally Posted by CapnZapp View Post
      What is "D&D’s new ‘Devil Deals’"?
      They're from Baldur's Gate: Descent Into Avernus.
      Mercador -
      Nothing within the PC press event, only a few questions/answers, no gameplay. Release when it's done (so don't hope for this year).
      Elfcrusher -
      Quote Originally Posted by Paul Farquhar View Post
      I'm sure that is the case. And BG2 had a tiefling character, and they where a playable race in NWN.

But personally I think both races are rubbish, and would rather have tortles.
      Or tortles ALSO....
      gyor -
      https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tec...baldurs-gate-3

Tied in tightly with 5th Edition D&D

"So, we started with the Player's Handbook, and we ported as much as we could to the video game," Vincke said.

Emphasis on STARTED, that suggests they're using more then just the PHB, meaning there is hope that the Subclasses, Races, Subraces, and Feats from the SCAG, MTOF, VGTM, XGTE, and Tortle Package might be in, or at least some of it.
      Demetrios1453 -
      An intriguing (and somewhat horrifying) idea has occurred to me - mind flayers were active and up to something in BG2, although we never fully got to the bottom of it. What if one of them ate a Bhaalspawn's brain? Or if one of them subjected a Bhaalspawn to ceremorphosis? Technically, the victim would no longer be a Bhaalspawn (as they would be dead), but the illithid in question would have the memories and probably some residual powers of the Bhaalspawn. Give them 100+ years to learn more, plot, and become more powerful...

It would definitely allow for BG3 to continue the storyline, without it being a direct sequel...
      SkidAce -
      Quote Originally Posted by dalisprime View Post
      Surely power outages stop any form of non-tabletop gaming , unless you have a handheld console with fully charged battery, in which case the Stadia platform would also work since you can play your games via phone/tablet that can be kept charged up with power banks. As for data caps - just get a better provider.
      I hear you.

But streaming and relying on others to deliver my gaming is not my method of choice.

I dont stream music either, I purchase what I want and then rip it onto my various players.

but hey...I get it.

/tangent
      Paul Farquhar -
      Quote Originally Posted by gyor View Post
      https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tec...baldurs-gate-3

Tied in tightly with 5th Edition D&D

"So, we started with the Player's Handbook, and we ported as much as we could to the video game," Vincke said.

Emphasis on STARTED, that suggests they're using more then just the PHB, meaning there is hope that the Subclasses, Races, Subraces, and Feats from the SCAG, MTOF, VGTM, XGTE, and Tortle Package might be in, or at least some of it.
      "as much as we could" = some of it we couldn't. I.e. some of the PHB is NOT in the game.

As for the rest, I'm sure some of it will make it into DLC - you can have it, but you will have to wait longer and pay extra.

I can pretty much tell you what will and won't make it in to DLC now, and why:

In: aasimar, variant tieflings, genasi - can be done with minor tweaks to assets that are already in the game.

Not a chance in hell of getting in: aarackora (no flying), sea elves (no swimming), tabaxi (no climbing), eledrin (no teleporting), tortles, goliaths, firbolg (require unique game assets).

Borderline: Lizardfolk (might use tweaked dragonborn models).
      Leatherhead -
      Actually, the divinity 3.0 engine already has flight and a z axis implemented. One of the fun things you can do in combat is shove people off buildings.
      Paul Farquhar -
      Quote Originally Posted by Leatherhead View Post
      Actually, the divinity 3.0 engine already has flight and a z axis implemented. One of the fun things you can do in combat is shove people off buildings.
      It does, but PCs can't fly more than short hops, for the same reason as teleporting is restricted. The story-telling aspect requires ground based triggers. Sword Coast Legends didn't have those triggers, which is why the story was a railroad.
      MarkB -
      It does, but PCs can't fly more than short hops, for the same reason as teleporting is restricted. The story-telling aspect requires ground based triggers. Sword Coast Legends didn't have those triggers, which is why the story was a railroad.
      Teleporting is hardly restricted in the Divinity games - both short and long range teleportation are not merely accommodated, they're positively encouraged, and feature heavily in both combat and puzzle solving. If anything, 5e's teleportation options will feel positively stingy compared to those in Divinity Original Sin 2.
      gyor -
      "as much as we could" = some of it we couldn't. I.e. some of the PHB is NOT in the game.

As for the rest, I'm sure some of it will make it into DLC - you can have it, but you will have to wait longer and pay extra.

I can pretty much tell you what will and won't make it in to DLC now, and why:

In: aasimar, variant tieflings, genasi - can be done with minor tweaks to assets that are already in the game.

Not a chance in hell of getting in: aarackora (no flying), sea elves (no swimming), tabaxi (no climbing), eledrin (no teleporting), tortles, goliaths, firbolg (require unique game assets).

Borderline: Lizardfolk (might use tweaked dragonborn models).
      They have a total team of 300! This isn't a small team/studio, like Owlcat, Beamdog, ect...

D: OSII had flying, teleporting, so it can have those, I see no reason that it won't also have climbing and swimming.

It sounds like they are trying to Cram everything 5e that will fit, so many of those races will be in, especially Aasimar.

When you have a team 300 deep, unique assets, especially ones you can use for NPCs as well, is no obstacle.

You keep comparing BG 3 to old Black Isles, Owlcat, and other similar companies, but the scale is radically different. 300 people, if even 10 are primarily focused on developing races, subraces, classes, and subclasses, it's going to be huge. Serious they could easily have 10 people who do nothing, but create Player character assets with a team that size.
      Paul Farquhar -
      Too many cooks spoil the broth.

Original Bioware, and more recently Owlcat produced amazing work with small teams - because those teams where highly dedicated.

Bethesda have a huge team, and they produce garbage like Fallout 4.

And why would they include aasimar, even with an infinite number of monkeys, when they can add them two months later and the chumps will pay extra?
      gyor -
      https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp...nd-dragons-rpg

Another BG3 article.

https://youtu.be/IH1Xte953fY
      gyor -
      Too many cooks spoil the broth.

Original Bioware, and more recently Owlcat produced amazing work with small teams - because those teams where highly dedicated.

Bethesda have a huge team, and they produce garbage like Fallout 4.

And why would they include aasimar, even with an infinite number of monkeys, when they can add them two months later and the chumps will pay extra?
      Because they are Larian, not some soulless corporate flunkies. They insist on self publishing the game, they refuse to force it out the door before itself ready. The sins of Bethesda should not stain Larian, who have an absolutely different company culture to companies like Bethesda. Look at how they developed D: OS II.

And as for DLCs, the Forgotten Realms and D&D multiverse is freaking huge, there will be no shortage of stuff they can add to BG 3, dungeons, planes of existance, nations, cities, races that haven't be updated for 5e yet like Wemics, Vryloka, Shades, Gloamlings, Spirit Folk, Henkyanoi, Para/Quasi Genasi, Blues, Illumians. Raptarians, Bladelings, Barbaurs, Thrikreens, Maenads, Synads, Elans, Bullywogs, and tons more. No shortage of stuff.
      Paul Farquhar -
      Because they are Larian, not some soulless corporate flunkies.
      They used to be Larian. Once you start hiring a couple of hundred extra people a company can change beyond recognition. Bethesda used to be good too, when they where a handful of people producing classics like Arena, Daggerfall and Morrowind. Bioware before EA is another example. Ten good people are worth a hundred also-rans, and when you expand rapidly also-rans is what you get.

Forgotten Realms and D&D multiverse is freaking huge
      Baldur's Gate was a story-driven game not a Forgotten Realms simulator. The inclusion of the entire multiverse won't mean anything if the plot sucks.
      DEFCON 1 -
      When I heard about this, I went onto Steam and bought Divinity: OS2 on sale just to experience how the team made their games (as a precursor to perhaps what to expect in BG3). And the initial and biggest takeaway I've had thus far is that the character controls on a keyboard are so counter-intuitive to someone who has played the original BGs and WoW / other FPS games. And it's annoying enough that I have to wonder if I'm going to be able to stick with the game before I finally become comfortable with them.

The fact that it's a 'click a point and move' game like standard isometric ones would be fine, if not for the fact you are expected to also need to rotate the camera around like a 3D environment. But to rotate the camera you either have to use the WASD keys or the other mouse button. And that kinda sucks. Why we can't walk around using the WASD keys while moving the camera using the mouse is beyond me, as that is how most games are programmed nowadays. And looking through the keyboard Options there's apparently no way to change movement to the WASD, its only 'click and move'. And that's just annoying enough that I don't think I'm going to get past it and I won't end up playing it.

I suppose I should check around the net to see if the game can work with a controller, or if there's a downloadable mod that can change movement to the WASD keys... but if not (and BGIII maintains this same keyboard/mouse patterning) then I won't be playing much of any Larian games.
    Comments Leave Comment