Obituary - James Mathe of RPG Shop, RPGNow, Minion Games Has Passed

Terribly sad news that James Mathe, founder of RPGNow, Minion Games, and so much more, passed away over the weekend at the age of 52. We offer our sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Screenshot 2019-06-11 at 17.33.42.png

James was a pioneer, and was massively influential in our hobby. Not only has he produced a multitude of board games, he brought the first major PDF store to the industry in the form of RPGNow, which later merged with DriveThruRPG to become OneBookShelf. He frequently offered advice to others in the industry, and was well known for the help he gave to others. He was involved in almost every corner of the industry, from online conventions to brick-and-mortar game stores, Kickstarter advice, and various online franchises, and was a mentor and friend to many.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I remember when he opened RPGNow, and when EN Publishing's first product - Wild Spellcraft - launched on there in the first months of its opening. More recently, I purchased a domain from him that he was no longer using. From all my dealings with him over the last 20 years or so, I remember that he loved to haggle - he was a good businessman. The very definition of an entrepreneur.

Birmy

Adventurer
I patronized the local game stores he owned (and still do, under their different ownerships) before he sold them a couple of years back. I can't say I knew him well beyond some regular customer-clerk small talk, but he was certainly a prominent presence in the game scene here, and will be missed by many in the community he fostered for many years.

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
Condolences to his family and friends. He is a giant in the industry, even if his name is not a household one among the gamers.

naturaltwenty

Explorer
Publisher
Too soon

I talked IT shop with James throughout the years and purchased physical products and a lot of PDFs through his platform.

Gone far too soon.

Condolences to his family and everyone who knew him.

imagineGod

Legend
Truly shocking this news. James Mathe was active on his online pages just days before this sudden news and the loss of this pioneer of the digital online RPG shop.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases