RPG Crowdfunding News – Earthdawn, Wicked Ones, The Strapping Lads, Vigilante City 2, and more

The following RPG crowdfunding projects ending between July 5th and 11th include some quickstarters, a convention, a map, and, of course, tabletop roleplaying games. This is just a sample, but these are worth checking out.
Wicked Ones by B-Design.io

• END DATE: Wed, July 10 2019 3:13 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Blades in the Dark (Forged in the Dark)
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: ¥4,300 for the PDFs and PODs of the book, cards, and maps
Wicked Ones is a Forged in the Dark tabletop RPG where you play fantasy monsters raiding human lands, hoarding the gold they loot, and building a dungeon to protect it. Your notoriety lures increasingly greedy and powerful adventurers to your dungeon. Can you stave off the inevitable onslaught of heroism that your notoriety brings? Wicked Ones is essentially Dungeon Keeper meets Blades in the Dark. You play as one of the wicked ones, monsters with the rare ability to see the bigger picture, to develop plans, work together, and use minions to further their goals. Every monster is flawed, with something deep, dark, and terrible lurking inside their heart - and you choose what your flaw is. It hinders you, leading you away from your goals, but play into it and you'll be rewarded with bonus dice called dark hearts to spend in play and XP at the end of each session. This balance makes it fun to play a monster that has goals but is still pushed towards monstrous tendencies.”

Earthdawn 4th Edition - The Adept's Journey: Mystic Paths by FASA Corporation

• END DATE: Wed, July 10 2019 9:00 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Earthdawn 4e
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $40 + $8 US shipping for the PDF and print versions of the book
Earthdawn is a fantasy role-playing game currently in its fourth edition. After more than 25 years it continues to deliver a setting tinged with a compelling mix of high magic and horror flavored with a dash of post-apocalypse and a generous sprinkling of hope. The Adept's Journey: Mystic Paths is planned to be roughly 400 pages, it introduces the concept of Paths, organizations in the Earthdawn game that reflect a particular goal and outlook. They modify an adept's Discipline, giving them access to new talents and unique abilities. This gives you new challenges to face and stories to tell as your character's legend grows.”

The Strapping Lads: A D&D 5e Supplement by Micah Weltsch

• END DATE: Mon, July 8 2019 11:59 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons 5e
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $5 for the PDF of this book
“A saucy, sexy collection of D&D men for your viewing and gaming pleasure! Meet the Strapping Lads, an all-male, queer-friendly adventuring guild. Every year, the guild selects twelve of its handsomest members, one from each class, to pose for their fundraiser magazine. Enjoy this roster of sexy adventurers fit for your entertainment, or for adding as NPCs to your campaign. The Strapping Lads book is a full-color 28-page supplement for Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition. It features twelve male characters, one of each class from the 5e Player’s Handbook. Each character’s spread contains a saucy pin-up, a condensed stat block, and an interview profile.”

Dungeons & Delvers: Red Book by David Guyll

• END DATE: Sun, July 7 2019 1:00 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): OSR
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $30 for the PDF and POD of the book
“A tabletop RPG about kicking in doors, hitting monsters with your axe, and taking their stuff. In a nutshell: the World’s First Roleplaying Game how I’d do it. People have described it as a more customizable-yet-simpler take on 5th Edition, something between 3rd and 5th Edition, and even a kind of modernized B/X or Rules Cyclopedia. Pretty much everyone agrees it fits the old-school aesthetic, which is good because it was intended to be a kind of homage to the "easy to master black box" that I grew up on. Red Book is nearly 600. It's got more of the stuff that you love: races, classes (and talents for each), alchemical items, magic items, monsters, treasure, tables to speed things up, etc.”

[h=3]QUICKSTARTERS ENDING SOON![/h]SURVIVE THIS!! Vigilante City RPG 2 Book Quickstarter. by Bloat Games

• END DATE: Tue, July 2 2019 8:00 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): OSR
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $44 + $7 US shipping for PDFs and print copies of the books
  • NOTE: This is a quickstarter
  • NOTE 2: I have a bit of writing coming from Bloat Games
Vigilante City is heavily inspired by Batman: The Animated Series. Along with the X-men, Spider-man and TMNT cartoons of the 1990s. Vigilante City utilizes the familiar ruleset of the world’s most popular fantasy RPG, mixing the old-school with modern mechanics for the best possible gaming experience SURVIVE THIS!! Vigilante City Book 3: Superhero Team up! comes with the inclusion of many new classes, goes through the steps of team building while greatly adding to the equipment and vehicles. It shows how to build new superhero headquarters and stock it full of the valuable tech and tools every team needs to be successful. There will be new combat rules to include Team Moves and so much more! SURVIVE THIS!! Vigilante City Book 4: Into The Sewers takes you underground to maze of tunnels that travel under the Metropolitan of Victory City, into the world of subcultures, gangs, Mutants & Anthropomorphs. Into The Sewers will feel like a new setting and greatly expands upon the already robust Mutant and Anthropomorph classes and powers.”

Glenfallow Regional Fantasy Map ~ QuickStarter Campaign! by Sinopa Publishing LLC

• END DATE: Mon, July 1 2019 11:58 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): System neutral
  • PROJECT TYPE: Map
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $45 + international S/H for the PDF and print versions (player and GM) of this map
  • NOTE: This is a quickstarter
“Great maps lead to fantastic adventure! Gorgeous, full color 24-by-36 inch fantasy map for use in your fantasy game D&D 5e or any other tabletop roleplaying game. I have created a regional fantasy map for my ongoing adventure series, The Tarot Adventures. This map was illustrated by Tania Gomez in full color and is now ready to see print. Available in both a players' version and a game master version (which has a handful of hidden locations), these maps are beautiful additions to your game or as wall art.”
[h=3]QUICK HITS![/h]Pulp Fantastic (a setting book for 5e) by Battlefield Press

• END DATE: Wed, July 10 2019 12:31 PM EDT.
“Welcome to the world of the 1930s, a world where secret societies battle for control of history.”

SimuCon 2019 by GM Palvella

• END DATE: Wed, July 10 2019 on Indiegogo
“Come to SimuCon. Enjoy a real-life quest. St. Louis, July 10-14, 2019 at the Sheraton Westport Chalet!”

Fearsome Foes: And Where to Fight Them Relaunch by Joshua Greer

• END DATE: Mon, July 8 2019 5:06 PM EDT.
  • NOTE: The original Kickstarter for this project (that did not fund) was covered here
“An advanced monster guide to help spice up encounters for experienced adventurers, and new worlds for them to inhabit!”

If you like what we do here at EN World (the Forums, Columns, News, etc) and would like to help support us to bring you MORE please consider supporting our Patreon. Even a single dollar helps! This article was contributed by Egg Embry as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. Please note that Egg is a participant in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to DriveThruRPG.

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

My opinion is a true challenge playing superheroes with the d20 system because the challenge rating and the value of XPs reward are broken when characters can use too powerful extra help, for example high-tech. Creating an adventure isn't easy if a PC is a street fighter like Green Hornet, Green Arrow, Batwoman, Daredevil or Hawkeye, but other is a cosmic power like Superman or Captain Marvel. Starlord with only a shot from his spaceship could kill a kaiju as Godzilla, King Kong or the ones from "Pacific Rim".

A great week this week Egg. And by great I mean expensive. I'm already in Eric's second VC Quickstart, though I hope this time he has someone do some grammar checking and spell checking for his books before publication. I'm probably going to get the Wicked Ones and Earthdawn is a real possibility as well. Just when I think I'm out...

SMHWorlds

Adventurer
I did not realize Earthdawn was on its 4th edition. May have to check that out.

Dungeons & Delvers. Seems interesting but am not sold on more of the "more of everything" kind of book or release.

Cool Kickstarters!

AriochQ

Adventurer
Gemstone is still around? Wow. SimuCon is apparently run by the company that produces the Gemstone online games. I had a roommate in college in the late 80's who played Gemstone II, a text based online RPG. I seem to recall it cost $6/hour to play (about $12/hour in 2019 $ after adjusting for inflation). How times have changed.

D1Tremere

Adventurer
My opinion is a true challenge playing superheroes with the d20 system because the challenge rating and the value of XPs reward are broken when characters can use too powerful extra help, for example high-tech. Creating an adventure isn't easy if a PC is a street fighter like Green Hornet, Green Arrow, Batwoman, Daredevil or Hawkeye, but other is a cosmic power like Superman or Captain Marvel. Starlord with only a shot from his spaceship could kill a kaiju as Godzilla, King Kong or the ones from "Pacific Rim".

That is why we have DMs/GMs. I tend to treat RPGs as cinema, not simulation.

Wraith Form

Explorer
I hope this time he has someone do some grammar checking and spell checking for his books before publication.

Many months ago, I did offer to help proof read one of his KSes. FOR FREE. He essentially gave me the brush-off, claiming he was too overwhelmed to think about it during the KS.

That's when I decided I didn't really need any Bloat products. ** shrug **

Vanveen

Explorer
Gemstone is still around? Wow. SimuCon is apparently run by the company that produces the Gemstone online games. I had a roommate in college in the late 80's who played Gemstone II, a text based online RPG. I seem to recall it cost $6/hour to play (about $12/hour in 2019 $ after adjusting for inflation). How times have changed.

Nowhere near what it was, of course, and has been dying slowly for 15 years. Many of the players that are left have played it for 20 years or more; some of them have literally given their adult lives to it. A truly unique phenomenon in online culture and gaming, worthy of a book.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases