Simply6: A Fast, Light Universal RPG
  • Simply6: A Fast, Light Universal RPG


    Simply6 is a fast, light tabletop roleplaying game for 2 or more players which you can play using just six-sided dice. I put this together over the last couple of days in my spare time (based on something I was playing with in the forums a while back) and have uploaded it to DTRPG. It's only about 20-pages long, and will likely be tweaked and updated after I get some feedback.




    Comments 107 Comments
    1. procrastonaut's Avatar
      procrastonaut -
      Looking at monsters, it says their level is the sum of their bonus dice, plus one for any special abilities. I can’t figure out how the Archmage, then, is Level 9... help?
    1. Morrus's Avatar
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by procrastonaut View Post
      Looking at monsters, it says their level is the sum of their bonus dice, plus one for any special abilities. I can’t figure out how the Archmage, then, is Level 9... help?
      7 + 2 + 2 -1 -1 = 9.

      (To clarify, the negative numbers count too).
    1. Dungeonosophy's Avatar
      Dungeonosophy -
      Looking good.

      typo in 1.1: "Heal 1 point of health)" dangling parenthesis.

      Maybe others grokked it immediately, but it took me three reads to understand:
      "Within the cave mouth is crumbling overhang(D2); make an Athletics check or fall into theriver."
      From the word "overhang" I pictured crumbling stalactites hanging from the ceiling, which somehow fall on the character and knock them into the river.

      I'd parse it as something like: "Beyond the cave mouth, a stretch of the bank is undercut and crumbling (see "X"s on map, D2); make an Athletics check or fall into the river as the bank collapses."
    1. procrastonaut's Avatar
      procrastonaut -
      Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
      7 + 2 + 2 -1 -1 = 9.

      (To clarify, the negative numbers count too).
      Ah, gotcha... thanks!
    1. jmucchiello's Avatar
      jmucchiello -
      Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
      Yeah, if you were racing the dragon or it was chasing you. Flight v Athletics. Phew! You escaped!

      Appraisal just figure dragons can count their gold hoard, so they can make a check to value stuff.
      How do normal characters Appraise?

      I noticed version 1.2 changed Dodging to Defense. Good change.
    1. Morrus's Avatar
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by jmucchiello View Post
      How do normal characters Appraise?
      I'll add it in. Don't figure anybody will take it though!
    1. procrastonaut's Avatar
      procrastonaut -
      Sorry if this is outside the scope of the current document, but say a character has an animal companion, like a wolf...

      Does said wolf act like a Judge controlled monster/npc (no rolls, use averages)? I ask because allied monsters vs enemy monsters could be odd.

      Example - a kobold (Fighting -1d6 2d6 (7)) will never be able to hit a wolf (defense 10), and the wolf’s attack (10) will always tie the kobolds defense (10), which hits, I think?

      That brings up another question - how’re ties resolved?
    1. Morrus's Avatar
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by procrastonaut View Post
      Sorry if this is outside the scope of the current document, but say a character has an animal companion, like a wolf...

      Does said wolf act like a Judge controlled monster/npc (no rolls, use averages)? I ask because allied monsters vs enemy monsters could be odd.
      I would have players roll for pets. That I hadn't thought about yet; the static rolls are just to speed things up.

      Example - a kobold (Fighting -1d6 2d6 (7)) will never be able to hit a wolf (defense 10), and the wolf’s attack (10) will always tie the kobolds defense (10), which hits, I think?

      That brings up another question - how’re ties resolved?
      Another good question. Let me ponder!
    1. jmucchiello's Avatar
      jmucchiello -
      Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
      I'll add it in. Don't figure anybody will take it though!
      That isn't absolutely necessary. In fact, keeping the skill list smaller is probably best. Is Intimidation necessary? Persuasion could just be Influence and it applies to all forms of influence.
    1. Morrus's Avatar
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by jmucchiello View Post
      That isn't absolutely necessary. In fact, keeping the skill list smaller is probably best. Is Intimidation necessary? Persuasion could just be Influence and it applies to all forms of influence.
      By the same argument fighting, shooting, and defence are al forms of combat. Any skill list can be pared down indefinitely until you just end up with “skill”, but I do feel those two things are different enough. I wouldn’t want the average orc to charm somebody.
    1. jmucchiello's Avatar
      jmucchiello -
      Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
      By the same argument fighting, shooting, and defence are al forms of combat. Any skill list can be pared down indefinitely until you just end up with “skill”, but I do feel those two things are different enough. I wouldn’t want the average orc to charm somebody.
      Some things should be separated out in detail. And some should not. And some of it should be optional rules. I think the philosophy should be "these skill are in the book so any additional skills should be opposed by them." So Appraise being performed by a merchant whom is buying something from the PC would be a persuasion roll against the merchants appraise. And the PC doing the appraising is probably just rolling Thieving, Knowledge, Art, or something against the standard 10 unless there is a merchant trying to make it seem more or less valuable.
    1. R_Chance's Avatar
      R_Chance -
      This sounds interesting. I get a lot of students interested in table top RPGs at school. This strikes me as a good introductory RPG useful for a variety of settings / genres. Thanks!
    1. procrastonaut's Avatar
      procrastonaut -
      Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
      7 + 2 + 2 -1 -1 = 9.(To clarify, the negative numbers count too).
      QUOTE=Morrus;7631912]7 + 2 + 2 -1 -1 = 9.

      (To clarify, the negative numbers count too).[/QUOTE]

      With that in mind, by my reckoning the dragon on pg. 8 should be level 25 (1 special ability), the giant spider 5 (2 special abilities), and the vampire 9 (“instantly dies in sunlight” should count as a negative, I’d think).

      Speaking of the dragon, I’d suggest it’s special ability be renamed Breathe Fire, Fiery Breath, etc (instead of Breath Fire).
    1. Morrus's Avatar
      Morrus -
      v1.3 includes new monsters, and new equipment.
      @procrastonaut there's now an adjustment to the level calc for monsters. Negative scores no longer count, as it is assumed a monster will do its best self for the few rounds it encounters the PCs, not its worst.
    1. Morrus's Avatar
      Morrus -
      Hey, cool! It's doing well at DTRPG!

      Name: Screenshot 2019-07-10 at 00.44.51.png ► Views: 60 ► Size: 203.9 KB
    1. jmucchiello's Avatar
      jmucchiello -
      In 1.3, the zombie has "social -1d6"
    1. procrastonaut's Avatar
      procrastonaut -
      Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
      v1.3 includes new monsters, and new equipment.
      @procrastonaut there's now an adjustment to the level calc for monsters. Negative scores no longer count, as it is assumed a monster will do its best self for the few rounds it encounters the PCs, not its worst.
      Cool!

      looks like Werewolf should be Level 1/4 since Commoners are now level 1
    1. murquhart72's Avatar
      murquhart72 -
      How does this game compare or differ from contemporaries like Risus or TWERPS?
    1. Morrus's Avatar
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by murquhart72 View Post
      How does this game compare or differ from contemporaries like Risus or TWERPS?
      Wouldn't know. Never played either.
    1. jmucchiello's Avatar
      jmucchiello -
      Quote Originally Posted by murquhart72 View Post
      How does this game compare or differ from contemporaries like Risus or TWERPS?
      RISUS is a cliche system. What you are good at is embedded inside the cliches.

      Simply6 is a skill system. Everything is a skill. Every character has "average" ability in most skills and they can improve individual skills over time.

      RISUS "suffers" from the vicious cycle when you lose the first round of combat, you probably lose the battle.

      Simply6 has a scaling issue. If someone's defense skill is 4 more than your attack skill, you can't successfully hit them at all (or it's nearly impossible). Guidelines for balancing characters could mitigate this.

      RISUS also implies a "joke" game whereas Simply6 seems like a serious minded game.

      I don't know TWERPS.
    Comments Leave Comment