Simply6: A Fast, Light Universal RPG
  • Simply6: A Fast, Light Universal RPG

Simply6 is a fast, light tabletop roleplaying game for 2 or more players which you can play using just six-sided dice. I put this together over the last couple of days in my spare time (based on something I was playing with in the forums a while back) and have uploaded it to DTRPG. It's only about 20-pages long, and will likely be tweaked and updated after I get some feedback.

Comments 107 Comments
      procrastonaut -
      Looking at monsters, it says their level is the sum of their bonus dice, plus one for any special abilities. I can’t figure out how the Archmage, then, is Level 9... help?
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by procrastonaut View Post
      Looking at monsters, it says their level is the sum of their bonus dice, plus one for any special abilities. I can’t figure out how the Archmage, then, is Level 9... help?
      7 + 2 + 2 -1 -1 = 9.

(To clarify, the negative numbers count too).
      Dungeonosophy -
      Looking good.

typo in 1.1: "Heal 1 point of health)" dangling parenthesis.

Maybe others grokked it immediately, but it took me three reads to understand:
      "Within the cave mouth is crumbling overhang(D2); make an Athletics check or fall into theriver."
      From the word "overhang" I pictured crumbling stalactites hanging from the ceiling, which somehow fall on the character and knock them into the river.

I'd parse it as something like: "Beyond the cave mouth, a stretch of the bank is undercut and crumbling (see "X"s on map, D2); make an Athletics check or fall into the river as the bank collapses."
      procrastonaut -
      Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
      7 + 2 + 2 -1 -1 = 9.

(To clarify, the negative numbers count too).
      Ah, gotcha... thanks!
      jmucchiello -
      Yeah, if you were racing the dragon or it was chasing you. Flight v Athletics. Phew! You escaped!

Appraisal just figure dragons can count their gold hoard, so they can make a check to value stuff.
      How do normal characters Appraise?

I noticed version 1.2 changed Dodging to Defense. Good change.
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by jmucchiello View Post
      How do normal characters Appraise?
      I'll add it in. Don't figure anybody will take it though!
      procrastonaut -
      Sorry if this is outside the scope of the current document, but say a character has an animal companion, like a wolf...

Does said wolf act like a Judge controlled monster/npc (no rolls, use averages)? I ask because allied monsters vs enemy monsters could be odd.

Example - a kobold (Fighting -1d6 2d6 (7)) will never be able to hit a wolf (defense 10), and the wolf’s attack (10) will always tie the kobolds defense (10), which hits, I think?

That brings up another question - how’re ties resolved?
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by procrastonaut View Post
      Sorry if this is outside the scope of the current document, but say a character has an animal companion, like a wolf...

Does said wolf act like a Judge controlled monster/npc (no rolls, use averages)? I ask because allied monsters vs enemy monsters could be odd.
      I would have players roll for pets. That I hadn't thought about yet; the static rolls are just to speed things up.

Example - a kobold (Fighting -1d6 2d6 (7)) will never be able to hit a wolf (defense 10), and the wolf’s attack (10) will always tie the kobolds defense (10), which hits, I think?

That brings up another question - how’re ties resolved?
      Another good question. Let me ponder!
      jmucchiello -
      I'll add it in. Don't figure anybody will take it though!
      That isn't absolutely necessary. In fact, keeping the skill list smaller is probably best. Is Intimidation necessary? Persuasion could just be Influence and it applies to all forms of influence.
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by jmucchiello View Post
      That isn't absolutely necessary. In fact, keeping the skill list smaller is probably best. Is Intimidation necessary? Persuasion could just be Influence and it applies to all forms of influence.
      By the same argument fighting, shooting, and defence are al forms of combat. Any skill list can be pared down indefinitely until you just end up with “skill”, but I do feel those two things are different enough. I wouldn’t want the average orc to charm somebody.
      jmucchiello -
      By the same argument fighting, shooting, and defence are al forms of combat. Any skill list can be pared down indefinitely until you just end up with “skill”, but I do feel those two things are different enough. I wouldn’t want the average orc to charm somebody.
      Some things should be separated out in detail. And some should not. And some of it should be optional rules. I think the philosophy should be "these skill are in the book so any additional skills should be opposed by them." So Appraise being performed by a merchant whom is buying something from the PC would be a persuasion roll against the merchants appraise. And the PC doing the appraising is probably just rolling Thieving, Knowledge, Art, or something against the standard 10 unless there is a merchant trying to make it seem more or less valuable.
      R_Chance -
      This sounds interesting. I get a lot of students interested in table top RPGs at school. This strikes me as a good introductory RPG useful for a variety of settings / genres. Thanks!
      procrastonaut -
      7 + 2 + 2 -1 -1 = 9.(To clarify, the negative numbers count too).
      QUOTE=Morrus;7631912]7 + 2 + 2 -1 -1 = 9.

(To clarify, the negative numbers count too).[/QUOTE]

With that in mind, by my reckoning the dragon on pg. 8 should be level 25 (1 special ability), the giant spider 5 (2 special abilities), and the vampire 9 (“instantly dies in sunlight” should count as a negative, I’d think).

Speaking of the dragon, I’d suggest it’s special ability be renamed Breathe Fire, Fiery Breath, etc (instead of Breath Fire).
      Morrus -
      v1.3 includes new monsters, and new equipment.
      @procrastonaut there's now an adjustment to the level calc for monsters. Negative scores no longer count, as it is assumed a monster will do its best self for the few rounds it encounters the PCs, not its worst.
      Morrus -
      Hey, cool! It's doing well at DTRPG!

Name: Screenshot 2019-07-10 at 00.44.51.png ► Views: 60 ► Size: 203.9 KB
      jmucchiello -
      In 1.3, the zombie has "social -1d6"
      procrastonaut -
      v1.3 includes new monsters, and new equipment.
      @procrastonaut there's now an adjustment to the level calc for monsters. Negative scores no longer count, as it is assumed a monster will do its best self for the few rounds it encounters the PCs, not its worst.
      Cool!

looks like Werewolf should be Level 1/4 since Commoners are now level 1
      murquhart72 -
      How does this game compare or differ from contemporaries like Risus or TWERPS?
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by murquhart72 View Post
      Wouldn't know. Never played either.
      jmucchiello -
      Quote Originally Posted by murquhart72 View Post
      RISUS is a cliche system. What you are good at is embedded inside the cliches.

Simply6 is a skill system. Everything is a skill. Every character has "average" ability in most skills and they can improve individual skills over time.

RISUS "suffers" from the vicious cycle when you lose the first round of combat, you probably lose the battle.

Simply6 has a scaling issue. If someone's defense skill is 4 more than your attack skill, you can't successfully hit them at all (or it's nearly impossible). Guidelines for balancing characters could mitigate this.

RISUS also implies a "joke" game whereas Simply6 seems like a serious minded game.

I don't know TWERPS.
    Comments Leave Comment