Miniatures
  • Miniatures

December rolls on at a lightning pace. The sights and sounds of the holidays surround us, immersing us in the impending experience of the most incredible holiday celebration weekend of all - December 18th-20th - Star Wars: The Force Awakens! OK, so there's also that Christmas thing, but for most the geeks I know, the weekend before is the biggest deal of the year. Still, with the impending holidays, gift-giving is a thing for a lot of folks, and there's always more new awesome things to get your favorite gamers. This week's Picks are a wonderful assortment of ideas for just about anyone on your list. On top of the usual Picks, there's the spotlight on the Roleplaying Game Creators Relief Fund Holiday Bundle - which is also full of amazing things you can give as gifts!
     ...READ MORE

Gale Force 9 has a new Dungeons & Dragons miniature - the Dracolich! This $90 resin miniature is from the D&D Collector's Series, made of 14 pieces, and is limited to just 1,500 units. "Even as long-lived as they are, all dragons must eventually die. This thought doesn’t sit well with many dragons, some of which allow themselves to be transformed by necromantic energy and ancient rituals into powerful dracoliches. A dracolich retains its shape and size upon transforming, its skin and scales drawing tight to its bones or sloughing away to leave a skeletal form behind. Its eyes appear as glowing points of light floating in shadowy sockets, hinting at the malevolence of its undead mind."  ...READ MORE

Gale Force 9's Graz'zt miniature looks pretty great when painted! Here's a quick look! But that's not all - there's also a quick look at Zuggtmoy, the Lady of Rot! Graaf't and Zuggtmoy are both Demon Lords, and they both feature in Out of the Abyss, the latest D&D 5E adventure. "Standing nine feet tall, Graz'zt appears as a lithe, muscular humanoid. His skin shines like polished obsidian, and his eyes glitter with malevolent green light. He has yellowed fangs, pointed ears, and six slender fingers decorating each hand. He is sometimes described as having six small black horns half-hidden amid his thick black hair. These fiendish traits are apparent, regardless of whatever form Graz'zt chooses to take. He is considered the comeliest demon in the Abyss, and dresses in the most expensive and elegant finery on the entire plane."  ...READ MORE

The commercial release of the Micro 3D printer was squarely targeted at gamers with ads of 3D-printed miniatures on Facebook. Other enterprising artists have recreated Dungeons & Dragons-style monsters. But when established game companies begin issuing cease-and-desist letters against hobbyists, it raises the question...when do we reach the tipping point where gamers print their own miniatures?
     ...READ MORE

Gale Force 9 is at the Internationale Spieltage SPIEL '15 Toy Show (otherwise known as Essen) in Germany this week. They're previewing their new licensed D&D miniatures there (I posted about three demon lords here). This one looks even better -- Demogorgon, standing 200mm (that's about 8 inches) tall, this thing look fantastic. It'll be available soon; I don't currently have any more info yet. But here's what it looks like!
     ...READ MORE

What do Orcus, Graz'zt, and Zuggtmoy have in common? They're all demon lords, and they're all miniatures coming soon from Gale Force 9. They're limited edition (only 1500 of each). Orcus retails at a mighty $75, with Zuggtmoy at $25 and Graz'zt at $20.
     ...READ MORE

LEGO, the brick-building system, has been igniting children's imaginations for decades, so it's only natural that gamers (particularly gamers with children) look at their big multi-colored pile of bricks and wonder: how can I use these in my game?

...READ MORE

Frog God Games has announced that it will be offering a dollar-for-dollar value of PDFs to backers of two Centre Stage Miniatures Kickstarters which failed to deliver to their backers. Though Frog God did not run the two Kickstarters - they were for miniatures whose art was licensed from them for that purpose - they say they feel the need to make an offer like this as a show of goodwill to fans who might have backed the Kickstarters because Frog God's name was associated with it.
     ...READ MORE

Coming soon from WiKids are the official licensed Rage of Demons miniatures. Here's a quick look at three of them - the invisible blink dog, the air mymridon, and the the drow scout. These come in the Icons of the Realms series.
     ...READ MORE

Erik Mona ha previewed some more of the Rusty Dragon Inn miniatures set. In the inn this week are a Ghoul Huntsman, a Riding Dog, and a Half-Elf Bard playing a violin. He also mentions that the Iconic Heroes sets #4 and #5 will appear in November and January.
     ...READ MORE

Reaper Miniatures are back for a third time on Kickstarter with a ton more plastic miniatures. They launched a couple of hours ago, and have raised nearly $400,000 from nearly 4,000 backers already. It's a short Kickstarter - 19 days instead of the traditional month - but with Reaper it only needs to be short. For $100 you get a core set (pictured below) of 30 minis, plus there's their usual range of addons and stretch goals (which they've blown through already).
     ...READ MORE

Last week I showed some images of Paizo's upcoming Rusty Dragon Inn miniatures set. Those included a frost giant and a mounted orc; this week let's take a quick look at some of the more ordinary inhabitants of the inn. We have a Dancing Girl, a Pious Guard, and a Ghoul Cultist. The set is a 51-piece set in the usual configuration of boosters and cases.
     ...READ MORE

The upcoming Pathfinder Battles miniatures set is called The Rusty Dragon Inn. The tavern-themed set includes not just bartenders and NPCs, but a number of monsters and fighty humanoids. This preview looks at the Guard, the Frost Giant Ice Mage (it's a tightly themed set, clearly!), and the Mounted Orc Rider on Dire Wolf. It's a big tavern!
     ...READ MORE

The award season is underway! Over the weekend, the 2015 Origins Award winners were announced at the Origins Game Fair. The Origins Awards cover a broad range of tabletop games, including RPGs, boardgames, card games, historical miniatures games, and more. This year, Monte Cook and Kevin Siembieda were added to the Hall of Fame, and D&D 5th Edition won the best RPG categories.
     ...READ MORE

There have been a few customizable 3D-printed miniatures Kickstarters over the last year or so. Heroforge is - I think - the most well known. A new Kickstarter has just been launched by a Spanish group called Imagine 3D Miniatures, and it's mixing the concept up a little by introducing customizable mounted miniatures. You can choose the rider and the mount, and customize armor, weapons, and so on. Choices include horses, griffins, wyverns, and dragons, with orc or human riders.
     ...READ MORE

As he does most weeks, Paizo's Erik Mona has shown off some of the upcoming miniatures coming from the Pathfinder Battles sets. In this case, he continues to preview the 51-piece Dungeons Deep set with a gnome summoner, an eidolon, and a gargantuan red dragon (the latter is a "case incentive figure" for which you need to by a standard booster case before purchasing).
     ...READ MORE

Erik Mona has previewed three new miniatures from the Dungeons Deep miniatures set. These will be coming in June, and this week we see the Mining Beetle, Giant Centipede, and a large blue chicken known as the Terror Bird.
     ...READ MORE

This week, an opportunity to buy a ton of great Oriental Adventures stuff and help the people of Nepal, on top of all the other great gaming stuff I took note of coming out of DriveThruRPG.
     ...READ MORE

The initial offerings from Gale Force 9's Elemental Evil series of miniatures are now available, although both are marked as "Low Stock". You can pick up Aerisi Kalinoth & Air Priest ($25), or Air Myrmidon ($30) from GF9's online store. These are limited collectors items, with only 1500 of each available.
     ...READ MORE

This is rather impressive. Miguel Zavala has been 3D printing the monster from the D&d 5th Edition Monster Manual. As he says, "I love printing miniatures for my D&D game. I used to be a art major way back who modeled regularly. Now its just a fun hobby." He has dozens of them, including driders, Tiamat, flumphs, owlbears, even The Dread Gazebo! UPDATE: WotC has apparently sent a C&D to Miguel, who has removed the designs and left a note saying "Oh well. It was a fun ride :-)"  ...READ MORE