Electronic Tools
  • Electronic Tools

Lone Wolf Development makes the popular Hero Lab character generation software, and is also the creator of Realm Works, a campaign management suite. They've sent along an update and preview of the latter in video format, which you can see below. "Brought to you by the creators of Hero Lab®, Realm Works is the tool every Game Master has dreamed about for managing campaigns. Spend less time preparing, more time creating, and focus on sharing the story with your players! Built by a team of experienced GMs, Realm Works can be used with any game system and allows you to create and manipulate your world like never before."
     ...READ MORE

Next Friday, March 6, The City of Brass Kickstarter goes live. If you haven't heard of it yet, The City of Brass is an app designed to help you manage the mechanics of your game, so you can focus on what matters: playing that game.  ...READ MORE

Once again, apologies for missing last week. I was at Genghis Con here in Denver, CO, and it was an insane time that gave me virtually no chance to post anything. Back again this week, though, and we're celebrating DriveThruRPG's huge sale on all things Dungeons & Dragons, so let's get to it!
     ...READ MORE

A few days ago I mentioned an iOS app called D20 Fight Club for D&D 5E, Pathfinder, and more. This time I've stumbled across an Android app simply called Fifth Edition Character Sheet by Walter Kammerer. It's a customizable 5-page character sheet plus a basic character creator.
     ...READ MORE

With just two days to go, the controversial Kickstarter for Codename: Morningstar is closing in on its end, and with only 16% of its funding goal achieved at the time of writing, it doesn't seem likely to succeed unless something changes over the weekend. The last full update from the developers on the Kickstarter page was on December 23rd, nearly two weeks ago. However, they have been making comments recently which contain some hints at future plans.
     ...READ MORE

In the last year, I had the pleasure of interviewing a wide variety of people. Some of those are in video form, while others are in transcript form. It being New Year's Eve, I though I'd take a moment to pick five of my favourite video interviews of the year (I much prefer in-person interviews - they're so much fun to do). All the guests were wonderful. I was not so great, but luckily all I had to do was let the guests be awesome.
     ...READ MORE

While we wait to see what happens with Codename: Morningstar, Herolab, and City of Brass, there's another electronic tools option already available. d20 Fight Club: 5th Edition comes in two flavours - a player's version and a DM's version. Produced by Lion's Den, the app (it's for iOS) also has versions for Pathfinder, D&D 4E, and D&D 3.5.
     ...READ MORE

With Trapdoor Tech and Lone Wolf cautiously circling each other with their Codename: Morningstar and Herolab/Realmworks applications respectively, another player has been quietly prepping something in the background. The City of Brass, billing itself as "the next generation of gaming apps" is working on "a fully-featured app specifically designed to manage the mechanics of pen-and-paper games while allowing you to focus on what matters".
     ...READ MORE

From Ultimate Campaign, the background generator is intended to remove the creative pressure that can sometimes frustrate players as they try to flesh out the murky details of their characters' backgrounds. This generator provides these details with simple rolls of the die. Think of each element on the background generator's tables as a piece of story material that you can link together with other random pieces to create a story you otherwise might now have imagined.  ...READ MORE

With 2 weeks to go, and only 13% of the $425,000 raised, and those two weeks being Christmas, the odds are that Codename: Morningstar won't fund. There might be a last-minute turnaround, of course, but the prognosis right now does not look hopeful. Trapdoor Technologies leader Chris Matney addressed the possibility, saying that "not pledging is telling the industry that you are happy with the status quo."
     ...READ MORE

With the second big announcement in as many days, Codename: Morningstar creators Trapdoor Tech has announced a local gaming store program which makes it worthwhile for stores to adopt the electronic platform for in-store game play. It's phrased as an invitation for store owners to reach out. The program gives your local game store a percentage of your purchases from the Morningstar online marketplace, allows stores to offer use of Morningstar free within the store, plus some gift cards.

...READ MORE

Trapdoor Tech, the makers of the Codename: Morningstar electronic tools suite, has announced a new collaborative project - a "moddable battle map system" - with 5E Dungeon Master's Guide artist and cartographer Mike Schley. Part of Codename: Morningstar, it will be "a simple map building module - tile-based - with overlays that allow even the most artistically-challenged GM to create a great looking, printable map quickly."  ...READ MORE

Lone Wolf Development, the makers of the popular Hero Lab character generation software which already covers a wide range of games, has just announced that it is already preparing its software for D&D 5th Edition. While no license exists, their statement (below) indicates that they are fully expecting one and that they are confident enough that they have already started work.
     ...READ MORE

Trapdoor Technologies, who are running the Codename: Morningstar Kickstarter for the electronic tools suite (launching with Pathfinder) has created a short User Interface Overview. This 2-minute silent video quickly shows you some of the functionality in the product, including character generation, party messaging, adventure browsing, product shelf, store, dice roller, and adventure creation and publishing.
     ...READ MORE

Trapdoor Technologies has launched its Kickstarter for Codename: Morningstar. As expected, the software is for the Pathfinder RPG, with other systems being supported later. It has a number of modules - home, character, adventure, campaign, party, library, and forge - and is designed for mobile devices and laptops. They're looking for a whopping $425,000 - one of the largest RPG Kickstarters I've ever seen! - and are looking at an April 2015 release date.  ...READ MORE

We've known it's coming, but Trapdoor Technologies just announced their upcoming Kickstarter for Codename: Morningstar. It will launch on Friday, December 5th. You can listen to the full announcement below.
     ...READ MORE

The folks over at Trapdoor Technologies told us a couple of weeks ago about the termination of their license with WotC to product electronic tools for D&D 5E. Fan reaction was varied, but held an oddly aggressive tint towards Trapdoor. Trapdoor's Chris Matney explained a little about the split to Mad Adventurer's Society, saying that “The challenge we faced was a fundamental difference in approaches.”  ...READ MORE

This is a very impressive tool. Based on Stan Shinn's conversion system, and on this thread here on EN World, you simply enter an older-edition monster and the system spits out a correctly formatted D&D 5E version of the same monster. Link takes you directly to the tool!  ...READ MORE

As you may know, the licensed electronic tools suite for D&D 5th Edition, originally called Codename: Morningstar and then renamed Dungeonscape, was being produced by a company called Trapdoor Technologies. A couple of weeks ago, WotC ended their relationship with Trapdoor. No explanation was forthcoming.

Something has happened, though. If you go to the old Dungeonscape site, you see a message. It's redirected to a page named Codename: Morningstar (does that mean the name is no longer in use?) and the following cryptic message can be seen.  ...READ MORE

Herolab Updates

Herolab, the popular character generation software for Pathfinder and other RPGs has been updated with new material from Monster Codex, Ships of the Inner Sea, and more.
     ...READ MORE
    Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast