Fate
  • Fate

The Fate SRD (System Reference Document) web site is celebrating more than ONE MILLION lifetime page views! The site has been serving the Fate community since right after the Kickstarter as an online reference that is well-organized, fast, and mobile-friendly. Fans voted and made it an 2014 ENNIE Silver award winner. To celebrate the continuing success the Fate SRD recently updated the home page to put more content front and center. This hub shows every Fate product that can be found for every kind of game that you’d like to run, be it science fiction, fantasy, modern, or something really weird.
     ...READ MORE

Welcome to the start what is going to be an ongoing column here at EN World. I am going to talk about a lot of different things over time, but mostly I am going to talk about the things that grab my attention, and grab my interest, in tabletop gaming. There will be reviews and commentary about role-playing games, as well as digressions into card and board games, and the communities around them. There will be news at times as well.  ...READ MORE

This week, a number of folks - including our illustrious host, Russ Morrissey, have celebrated the nearly-year of Picks of the Weeks I've done here on EN World. I am humbly honored by the attention, and I hope you've enjoyed them as much as I've enjoyed bringing them to you. I'd like to take this moment to welcome Christopher Helton as a fellow columnist here on the ever-growing global gaming site that we all hold dear. Knock `em dead, Chris!
     ...READ MORE

Hey, look at that! A full week's Picks at long last! Of course, this may end being a mess again next week - I'm a Special Guest at Pacificon Game Expo, and Carinn and I will be spending an entire week in the Santa Clara/San Jose area, with a planned jaunt to San Francisco (she desperately wants to see Chinatown). While at the show, I've got something very special in the works (tune into the comments at the end for more info). However, I am curious, Dear Readers - has anyone else noticed a decided resurgence of interest in the science-fantasy (AKA "swords-and-rayguns") sub-genre?
     ...READ MORE

Sorry for missing again last week, friends, but this convention season's been both wonderful and brutal for me. I am deep in recovery mode – just not as young as I once was, and the constant altitude shift from the Mile High City to sea level and back has been brutal. Nonetheless, lots of great gaming things going on, both in my personal sphere and in the world of gaming. Now that I am a part of Pinnacle Entertainment, not only am I up to my neck in the Megaverse as it will be shared in Savage Worlds, but I am excitedly hoping to help out with the new Flash Gordon products Pinnacle announced at Gen Con. I've also got something cooking with Len Pimentel of Lakeside Games – a new version of Prowlers & Paragons! Speaking of great things happening in gaming...
     ...READ MORE

One of the interesting things over the last few weeks has been watching the Hot Games Chart change over the Gen Con period. As you may know, that chart monitors over 1,000 sites, blogs, and forums and compares how often different games are mentioned. The big change recently has been the meteoric rise of Green Ronin's Adventure Game Engine (which powers Dragon AGE, Fantasy AGE, Titansgrave, etc.) In the last three months it has climbed from #20 or so all the way up to #4 on the [non D&D] chart, and to #9 on the combined chart.
     ...READ MORE

A couple of gems from the mines you may not normally look in, plus the core rules for that Wil Wheaton thing everyone's talking about...
     ...READ MORE

From ancient gods to the far future, gunslingers to apocalypse preventers, this week's got something for everyone. Plus, there's a bundle I want to bring your attention to, full of superheroic awesome and intended to help folks in Texas following the floods.
     ...READ MORE

I have to say I am pretty excited about this week's Picks, especially the last one (for personal reasons). As well, some fantastic stuff for Pathfinder fans, and something rather amazing for FATE fans and those who loved one of the most influential PC games of all time.
     ...READ MORE

This week was full of Big New Releases, and I think a lot of us are looking at squeezing our budgets dry to grab all the great stuff!
     ...READ MORE

Pathfinder playable monster races, FATE support, a new version of Werewolf, and Eccleston's Doctor are just a few things up ahead, so let's get started!
     ...READ MORE

ICv2 has released its quarterly hobby game rankings. No surprises here - Dungeons & Dragons has taken the top spot back after several years at #2, as expected, though how long it can hold it without an aggressive release schedule remains to be seen. Pathfinder follows at #2, and Numenera, Fate, and Star Wars all make showings in the top 5. As always, the charts are based on interviews with retailers, distributors, and manufacturers. This is for Fall/Winter 2014.
     ...READ MORE

Greetings, Gaming Friends! Russ and I've been talking about a way to connect Sean's Pick of the Day with what he's got going on over here at EN World, and we've finally hit upon a weekly article by Yours Truly, recapping the Picks for you right here. Let's dive in, shall we?
     ...READ MORE

One trope that has been around since the earliest myths, but is only rarely pursued in role-playing games is the one where a hero does not necessarily have to be a human. And by that one should not include humanoid creatures like elves and dwarves and aliens and vampires, for they are variations on the human-theme, but true non-human entities such as animals, robots, and other creatures out of legend.
     ...READ MORE

One of the great side benefits of GENCON each year is a chance to get a Reviewer together with some Game Designers. It creates the real possibility of discovering a new RPG to present here on EN World that might otherwise have been missed. This year that happened not just once, but at least three times.
     ...READ MORE

So, I'm not going to post every single ENnies video here - there were 20 awards! - and there will be a place to view them all if you want to. I'll post some, though, and I think this one was important. Evil Hat's Ryan Macklin talks about bigotry and bullying in the RPG industry. For all the wonderful creativity and generosity the overall RPG community displays, there's some real nastiness too. These days folks are finding the courage to call bullies out more and more.
     ...READ MORE

I've been chewing on all things FATE these days, liking a lot of what I'm reading in both the core rules and community offerings online. One of the ideas that has come out of that reading is a very interesting discussion of Fractals in adventure design. Ultimately, this is a mindset for designing adventures that doesn't need to be tied to any RPG -- but it does make for a flexibility of design that will allow us to make room for player creativity and agency in ways that more linear design does not.
     ...READ MORE

Fate Core System: Characters live at the core of Fate! Fate Core is the latest edition of Evil Hat Productions’ popular Fate roleplaying game system. Fate started as a “house rules” project for the Fudge system during a car ride Rob Donoghue and Fred Hicks had back in 2001. After seeing some success with it in their home games, they created a free, downloadable version for anyone who cared to grab it. They figured a few dozen people would have a look. Instead, hundreds did, and it fast became one of the most popular variants of Fudge out there, spawning its own thousands-strong discussion list and eventually helping to launch Evil Hat as a commercial game company.
     ...READ MORE
    Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234