Item Creation ruling

ciaran00

Explorer
The last time we played, a player brought up making items with two characters in the way that one character provides the spell and the other the feats. I ruled that this would not be possible since it would allow wizards to (ridiculously) making staves of healing, etc. Furthermore, all item creation descriptions specifically refer to "a creator" as opposed to "creator(s)" as well as the statement that the spell ought to be cast by the creator or KNOWN by the creator (in the case of spontaneous casters).

This latter point is something I had a question about. Doesn't this severely restrict the ability of spontaneous casters to make items? I had previously seen statements on the ENWorld forums to the effect that sorcerors were creating items with spells cast from wands or staves. Has there been an official call on doing item creation this way?

ciaran

dcollins

Explorer
Both of these are definitely allowed by the rules. See the DMG chapter on Magic Items under "Magic Item Descriptions: Prerequisites". You'll see that satisfying prerequisites with a second caster, or a spell-reproduction item (scroll or wand) is definitely allowed. In 3.0 DMG that's p. 178, someone else might give the exact 3.5 page.

Eraslin

First Post
I'm going to add a little something here. The reason, to my understanding, that it's okay for this arrangement with respect to wizards creating wands/staves of curing (or clerics creating wands of fireball) is that said wand/staff would be an arcane item. Thus, it would be unusable by all divine casters, and the sorc/wiz. Unusable by the divine casters because it's an arcane item, and unusable by the sorc/wiz because the spell isn't on their spell list. On the other hand a rogue could use it with use magic device, and a bard could possibly use it because he's an arcane caster with some divine spells on his spell list (use with use magic device, otherwise).

So, it's really not that big a deal...

-Eraslin

ciaran00

Explorer
dcollins said:
Both of these are definitely allowed by the rules. See the DMG chapter on Magic Items under "Magic Item Descriptions: Prerequisites". You'll see that satisfying prerequisites with a second caster, or a spell-reproduction item (scroll or wand) is definitely allowed. In 3.0 DMG that's p. 178, someone else might give the exact 3.5 page.

Allowed even though:
The creator must have prepared the spell to be placed in the potion (or must know the spell in the case of a sorceror or bard)

I think that the two-caster bit may be a 3.0 rule but not a 3.5 one.

Edit: dcollins is right. I found it on pp. 215 in 3.5 DMG

ciaran

Last edited:

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Eraslin said:
I'm going to add a little something here. The reason, to my understanding, that it's okay for this arrangement with respect to wizards creating wands/staves of curing (or clerics creating wands of fireball) is that said wand/staff would be an arcane item.
That is not correct. The arcane/divine distinction is only important for scrolls. Spell trigger items, like wands and staves, do not care about it. For instance, a wand of protection from evil is usable by everyone who has that spell on their class list, which includes both clerics and wizards.

Anyway, what's wrong with a wizard helping to create a staff of healing? He lends his staff-making expertise, and a cleric lends his healing powers, and together they make a healing magic item. The wizard can't use it-- he doesn't have the spells on his class list-- so I don't understand what the problem is.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
AuraSeer said:
That is not correct. The arcane/divine distinction is only important for scrolls.

Which can lead to amusing results.

A wizard and a cleric could, in conjunction, scribe an arcane scroll of Cure Light Wounds, that neither the wizard nor the cleric could use... but a bard could.

-Hyp.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases