Question about Polymorph Any Object

blacktie347

First Post
If I create an arcane caster for a high-level campaign that has access to Polymorph Any Object, let's assume that that caster cast Polymorph Any Object on himself. Assuming that that's the case, what would happen to ability scores if the caster was originally a dwarf, hypothetically, but polymorphed himself into an elf? Specifically:

1. Would ability scores change, normally?

2. If a purely cosmetic change was the reason for the casting of Polymorph Any Object, and if ability score changes were NOT desired, would that have any impact?

3. If the dwarven racial bonus to stonecutting or whatever is something that the caster WANTS to keep, but doesn't care about Elven racial bonuses to Spot or whatever, would it be possible to transform and keep those original racial bonuses and not receive the Elven racial bonuses instead?

4. Additional cosmetic changes to the elf. Let's say that the caster wants the elf to have webbed feet, or some other non-game-mechanic affecting thing...and not gain bonuses to swim checks, etc. Would that be feasible with this spell?

I would greatly appreciate any and all comments.

Kask

First Post
Per the spell you gain str, dex, con & Int of the new form. (Roll for the new race) Nothing in the spell description allows you to opt out. Roll 4D6 drop lowest then apply racial mods.

It's DM call on allowing you to keep or gain racial abilities.

blacktie347

First Post
Per the spell you gain str, dex, con & Int of the new form. (Roll for the new race) Nothing in the spell description allows you to opt out. Roll 4D6 drop lowest then apply racial mods.

It's DM call on allowing you to keep or gain racial abilities.

Thanks...that's not quite the news I was hoping for, but I understand.

Thanee

First Post
1. Would ability scores change, normally?

Of course.

Also, unlike what Kask wrote, you always gain AVERAGE scores, that is 10+racial modifier. So you get S10 D12 C8 I10 in that case (elf).

Not entirely sure, if you keep your own Intelligence, if it is higher, though. That would make sense, I guess.

2. If a purely cosmetic change was the reason for the casting of Polymorph Any Object, and if ability score changes were NOT desired, would that have any impact?

No. If you want that, cast Alter Self.

3. If the dwarven racial bonus to stonecutting or whatever is something that the caster WANTS to keep, but doesn't care about Elven racial bonuses to Spot or whatever, would it be possible to transform and keep those original racial bonuses and not receive the Elven racial bonuses instead?

No, you have no choice in those matters.

4. Additional cosmetic changes to the elf. Let's say that the caster wants the elf to have webbed feet, or some other non-game-mechanic affecting thing...and not gain bonuses to swim checks, etc. Would that be feasible with this spell?

Only in the range of what is natural. So no in that specific case.

Bye
Thanee

blacktie347

First Post
Of course.

Also, unlike what Kask wrote, you always gain AVERAGE scores, that is 10+racial modifier. So you get S10 D12 C8 I10 in that case (elf).

Not entirely sure, if you keep your own Intelligence, if it is higher, though. That would make sense, I guess.

No. If you want that, cast Alter Self.

No, you have no choice in those matters.

Only in the range of what is natural. So no in that specific case.

Bye
Thanee

Thanee, Thank You for this excellent advice! Alter Self is exactly what I was looking for.

Very appreciatively,
Matt =)

PS: I'm SOOO glad I posted my question here. This forum is fantastic! =)

Kask

First Post
Of course.

Yes, you are correct regarding average scores.

The text of polymorph any object states you also get the int of the new creature, not the higher of the 2...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases