Drinking Rules

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Here is a draft version of the drinking rules to be found in Tournaments, Fairs & Taverns. These are Open Gaming Content.

[Gah - every time I edit this, I lose my download count! Ah well, it's about 200 at present plus whatever it shows below]

Attachments

• getting drunk.rtf
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,602
Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Morrus, did you come up with those?

Just last night I was thinking of making some up - but I doubt it would have been as elegant as yours.

The only change I would make is that it should be slighty more difficult for someone with an average Constitution to get even tipsy. . . I would either lower the alcohol units for drinks. . . or include some circumstancial bonus for drinking on a full stomach.

But, great stuff that I will definitly use.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I would increase the amount of alcohol in barrels... a large barel has a LOT more than 40 small glasses in volume.

Apart from that, pretty nice, elegant.

Ancalagon

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Thanks, guys.

I've already doubled both barrel volumes; the idea of a bonus for a full stomach is a good one, too. I tweaked the strength of the weaker drinks also. The new version can be seen above. :)

Last edited:

werekraken

First Post
beer and wine types

Being a fan of medieval brewing, I noticed that the alchohol types listed are very modern (with the exceptions of the fantastic types, of course).

In the middle ages, beer was quite different from the beverage of today.

Small beer and ale, which is probably about equivelent to weak beer on the table, was actually very flavorful, filled with actual bits of grain, protien, and carbohydrates. It was drunken in great quantities (probably around 8 pints a day by every man woman and child), and was a stable of the diet.

Double beers and ales were cooked twice, and were twice as strong. This would be regular beer on the chart. There was also a thing called double double bye, a kind of barly wine, which was twice as strong as double beer.

Other medieval beverages are watered wine, mead (probably equal to unwatered wine), spiced wine made with wine, honey, and spices (red was called hippocras and white was called clary), also probably equivelent to regular wine, as well as liquers and cordials, which were distilled wine beverages probably equivelent to elven wine on the chart.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Thanks, werekraken.

I'm trying to keep the things non-campaign specific, and to just worry about "levels" of strength, rather than provide a definitive list of drinks. That way, if someone wants "spiced wine" all they have to do is pick a strength and there it is. People can then design any number of different drinks, flavours, etc. for their game. :)

Last edited:

oskar_scout

First Post
I had been taught that a shot of spirits or a glass (small I think) of wine is processed per hour. That would be about 8 AU an hour, rather than the 1 you have in your system. With your system, it would take quite a while to get over the effects of a single shot of spirits, which is really not the case.

I would also consider the term "Jack" or "Mug" for the pint glass, which is a bit better than "large glass" :)

Zero

First Post
Greetings all, new poster.

The only thing that I see that, in my mind, should be made is the Fortitude save for hangover checks. A save should only be used if you think that all characters naturally get better at holding their liquor as they advance in level. It seems more a biological function to me than one of learned experience. Saves should be used if you think a character gets better at it over time.

I have noticed, however, that heavy drinkers get adjusted to the quantity of drink as time goes on (build an immunity) and it takes more to get them drunk.

Remove ads