Layouts of old sailing ships

Palantir

First Post
Hello all!

I seem to remember this topic being discussed before but I am unable to find any relevent threads. If you all would be so good as to help me out, I would appreciate your effort immensely!

As a big fan of the Horatio Hornblower series, I set about combing the web for deck layouts of English and French ships of war from that time period (late 18th century). To say I came up empty is a gross understatement!

Can any of you wise loremasters send a url or two my way that might aid me in my search?

With much appreciation,
Mark :)

Garmorn

Explorer
Might have better luck looking for individual ships. Try these: U.S.S. Consitution (Old Iorn Sides), H.M.S Victory (sp?), blast can't remember any others. I know that Old Iorn Sides has a very extisive web page kept by the U.S. Navy but don't know the link.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
The Constitution is just a few m iles away from me. It's an amazing ship. Most surprising to me is how low the ceilings are; they barely top 5'.

I love the Hornblowers! Now there's nautical action for you. Good stuff. Try getting them on Books on Tape; well worth it.

Palantir

First Post
Garmorn:

The Constitution's site (http://www.ussconstitution.navy.mil/index.html, btw) has deck plans! Thank you for the excellent tip. Now, my current question is, what is the orlop deck? The hold, maybe?

Piratecat:

The ceilings are only 5' high? A definite modifier to melee, then, yes? ;)

Sad to say, as I have not read C.S. Forester's works, I was referring to the A&E mini-series, starring Ioan Gruffudd. However, Forester's works are on my "to be read" list, as soon as I finish my re-reading of LotR. Why do you suggest Books on Tape? A more realistic, nautical feel perhaps?

Thanks again!
Mark :)

Garmorn

Explorer
Thanks for the links and yes the Hornblower books are great.

PC, if you like SF check out David Webers Honor Harrington series. They are basicly Hornblower in space but stand by them selves and are quite good.

Darraketh

First Post
I remember seeing replicas of the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria years ago. All of them were small but the Nina (I think that was the smallest one) was like a large rowboat with a sail. It's hard to imagine crossing the Atlantic in it..:eek:

BTW, Thanks for the links Old One

Wolf72

Explorer
Piratecat said:
The Constitution is just a few m iles away from me. It's an amazing ship. Most surprising to me is how low the ceilings are; they barely top 5'.

my girlfriend and I got to see the first day it opened after 9/11 ... I especially like the "iron sides".

even better: Sailors were not allowed to talk on decks or below decks ... they were only allowed to talk in one or two locations.

Palantir

First Post
Wolf72 said:

... Sailors were not allowed to talk on decks or below decks ... they were only allowed to talk in one or two locations.

Why aren't they allowed to talk? A Buckingham Palace honor guard sort of thing?

Remove ads