Judge Dredd d20?

rowport

First Post
Hey, folks! I was wondering if a d20 edition Judge Dredd game made it under my radar? I thought that d20 future or even just a modified d20 modern might do the trick, but if it is already published out there... If not, any fan conversions would be appreciated, too. Let me know. Thanks!

Gospog

First Post
I've run it about a half a doxzen times or so, and we've always had a real blast with it.

I think the only supplement worth getting, on the other hand, is the Psi-Judges' guide. At least so far...

Now with Mongoose releasing a Mega-City One skirmish miniatures game, we will also have plenty of cool minis to facilitate D20 play as well.

rowport

First Post
Aha! Thanks, guys! I guess I should have Googled first... :heh:

Gospog- do you think that the material is pretty balanced with other d20 products out there? Since my group is fairly D&D-centric, I was thinking about essentially adding Mega City One into D&D terms, with a vengeful-minded Lawful Neutral city guard, of course. And, most of the mutants will translate easily. The technology will not work well, but I think I can get the spirit of the source material pretty well. If there was not a game already out there I was planning to use Grim Tales as a starting point, but I would rather take the setting wholesale if it will convert fairly easily. What do you think?

Aaron2

Explorer
rowport said:
Do you think that the material is pretty balanced with other d20 products out there?

No. It isn't balanced at all with normal d20. Judges get d12 hit points, Good Bab, all good saves, and an AC bonus equal to their class level.

Aaron

scourger

Explorer
JD crossovers

rowport, I'm currently running a D&D game with Judge Dredd street & psi judges added in (along with Star Wars jedi consulars & guardians as well as Omega World pure strain & mutant humans). It is working surprisingly well. I think that without the Lawgiver gun and body suit armor, a judge would be a fairly good match to more conventional d20 D&D characters. Of course, I don't allow the AC bonus and the combat effects of the armor and weapons are more along the lines of a standard game. You might try a similar idea of incorporating small elements of JD into your D&D game.

Also, Krieg is right, JD d20 is a great game. And I wasn't really into the comics until the game came out. It's one of the very few that continue to do it for me in the d20 glut. It adds just enough to d20 D&D to make a great, different game without getting out of hand (as some other MP products have done, in my opinion). I recommend the core book and the adventures if you're willing to run something a little different for your group; and if you can get them to try it. I know how difficult it can be to break the chains of standard D&D, but a little variety is good. Give it a try.

Ranger REG

Explorer
rowport said:
Argh. Thanks, Aaron. I was afraid of that.
Why? Personally, I don't like the idea of using D&D classes to set limitation for games of different genre. IOW, a 1st-level superhero shouldn't balance with D&D barbarian in terms of their abilities (talents, skills, powers). If the designers faithfully adapt the rules to fit the comic book world of Judge Dredd, then they did good.

Remove ads